Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based on the popular children's novel of the same name by Wendy Orr, NIM'S ISLAND follows the adventures of Nim Rusoe (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE's Abigail Breslin), a spirited young girl who lives on a remote island with her scientist dad, Jack (300's Gerard Butler), and a host of animal companions, including an iguana, a sea lion, and a sea turtle. Nim's idyllic life gets shaken up, however, when her father goes missing while on an ocean outing.
This movie is another Walden Media production who recently have had a pretty good track record for family films.

The plot of this movie is pretty implausible and many adults may find it pretty ridiculous but overall I found this to be a pretty decent family film with some beautiful locations and a bit of comic relief.

From a picture quality perspective, it's Blu-ray so its very good but certainly not one of the best Blu-ray transfers I've seen.

The movie received a 49 on Rotten Tomatoes so my advice is, if you have kids in the 7 to 14 range and want a relatively gentle family film, you might want to rent this one out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks Hugh, I was really not sure about this one.... I may pick it up at B/Buster, as my 8 year old just loves adventure movies like this one.

Paul

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, definitely a renter. Our kids (8 & 6) enjoyed the movie well enough. I doubt they'll be asking to watch it again though.

My wife and I thought it was, "meh". I think the 42 rating is well deserved. It seems there are 2 stories thrown randomly together. I think they could have easily dropped the entire "visitors to the island" storyline (not to give too much away) and it would have been a far better movie.

I'd say it's worth a rental, but not a purchase for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts