Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
maybe but I could also see them leaving 91 over the US so that they wont loose all their snowbirds and other Canuck (and non-Canuck) subscribers. Right now theyre only losing people who want HD but if they put up a new bird with the same foot print as 82 then they'll lose everyone.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell doesn't want US subscribers. They will terminate any sub that is found to originate in the US. Dish doesn't want Canadian subs either and will also disconnect any Canadian subs found. Dish and Bell have a business agreement/partnership for hardware so they don't want to appear to step on the others' territory. Limiting footprints is probably part of that agreement. Satellites with a Canadian footprint can simply be tilted south to cover the US continental 48 states, which is good enough for regional stations.

·
Registered
215 Posts
From my understanding Nimiq 4 is pointed more north to give better signal in the arctic. I have a friend that lives up there and most dishes were 1 meter or larger to have an acceptible signal from the 91 slot. With Nimiq 4 he said the signal is at 100 percent as compared to 70-80 the older sat. I would expect N6 be pointed more north for same reasons. cheers

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
N4 also has more power than N1 and N2. Otherwise, you are correct. It makes no sense to have signal power spilling south when it could be directed at Canadian markets. I wouldn't be surprised if N2 and N4's footprint were designed specifically for the Canadian market, unlike N1 and other early sats which were designed to cover all of North America.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Nimiq 5 doesn't have a problem covering the US and it was originally built for Bell. I suspect they could just "tilt" N4 a bit to regain coverage of the lower US. It would be short sighted of Telesat to build in that limitation. That said, I think N6 will have the same footprint as N4, assuming that can be done from its orbit.

-Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Bos...I am in Philadelphia with a 76cm dish for 82 deg. and I am still using the original 20" ? (with the dual lnb's) for 91 deg. Anyway the sig. level on Tr 5 on 82 is just about 51% but disappears with rain or low clouds. I don't know whether it pays to go to a 90cm. being that 91 deg. may be the same problem when they launch that new Nimiq?

·
Registered
8 Posts
you mean you guys in the USA can subscribe to Bell TV? what a rip off! Dish Net can't sell their programming in Canada... It should be able to, but it is not allowed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Bos...I am in Philadelphia with a 76cm dish for 82 deg. and I am still using the original 20" ? (with the dual lnb's) for 91 deg. Anyway the sig. level on Tr 5 on 82 is just about 51% but disappears with rain or low clouds. I don't know whether it pays to go to a 90cm. being that 91 deg. may be the same problem when they launch that new Nimiq?
Just to get units straight, 76cm ~ 30 in.

I'd heard Philly was kind of the borderline area for N4 coverage these days. Going to a 90cm dish (35in) can't hurt - and should give you bullet-proof protection on 91W until the new satellite goes up. However, I can't say for sure if it will do enough for your 82W to make it reliable - or what will happen for 91W in the future.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you mean you guys in the USA can subscribe to Bell TV? what a rip off! Dish Net can't sell their programming in Canada... It should be able to, but it is not allowed.
Different countries, different laws. Its against the law in Canada to pick up US satellite TV signals, but not against the law in US to pick up Canadian sat signals.

Its against Bell's policy to knowingly transmit into the US - and they'll shut down accounts/equipment if they find out its being used in the US. But with the exception of N4 which was launched two years ago, all their satellites cover more of the lower 48 US than of Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bell in US

I'm a Canadian living in Connecticut but I have a cottage in PEI. I also have Dish Network and Cablevision in the US. The reason I like Bell is for time shifting. I can watch programs across all the time zones. In the US we can only have our local networks. The hockey coverage is also much better,we can only get local coverage but with TSN, CBC, Sport Networks and Centre Ice I get almost all the games in HD. In the US local sports teams are blacked out unless they are on a National network. The Canadian produced programs like "The Rick Mercer Report" also give us more variety. Canadian News programs have much more world news. The US think the world revolves around them. I bet less then 10% of the US is aware of the up coming Canadian elections.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts