Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to future shop today and bought myself a D90 DSLR.

I was torn between this and the Canon T2i but went for the Nokia for build quality and slightly better picture quality. I wasn't too concerned with the video as this isn't why I would be buying a DSLR.

However, after bringing it home, I have had this uneasy feeling that this camera will be replaced in the near future and I'll be stuck with 2 yr old technology (that still beats out most newer cameras). Another option I noticed was the Canon 7D.

I have 14 days to return it and spend the extra for the 7D or simply wait until a D90 replacement comes out.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Is this your first DSLR?

I would hang onto it honestly. Even if Nikon does release an updated model it does not mean your camera is automatically ancient. I ended up buying the D80 late in its product cycle and don't regret it one bit. Unless you absolutely need a feature that a different model has, stick with what you have.

It's all too easy to doubt a purchase like this and play the "what if" game when you could be out shooting and enjoying your camera. I would also argue that you would probably get more out of a high quality lens than an upgraded D90 model.

As for Nikon vs Canon, a lot boils down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Rumour is they will be replacing the D90 some time in September.

That being said, I bought one of these for my wife last month and she absolutely loves it. I would totally hang onto it. If you are worried about having the "latest" you will forever be playing the game.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It all depends on what you'll be using the camera for. A new camera model won't render your current camera useless - improvements from one model to the next are usually incremental.

I've used my Rebel XT for 5 years and it has served me well :) I only 'upgraded' and bought a T1i a few weeks ago. Even then, it wasn't some dramatic revolutionary change. My XT will still get some work as a secondary/backup body.

There will be a more dramatic increase in image quality upgrading to better lenses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first DSLR camera although I've had an old school, Pentax SLR before the digital revolution.

I do like it a lot and I bought an extra 70-300 Nikon lens with it. Even with that lens purchase, I saved about $300 off the price of the Canon 7D. I'm not one to worry too much about the latest and greatest but if it is only a few months away, then it is something to consider.

I guess I'm just worried that I'll be paying the same price for the "older" model with less features. I'm pretty sure that any replacement will very likely have full HD video (again, not a huge deal to me but hey, why not?) and at least 16megapixels. If the replacement comes out and is substantially more expensive (300-500 more) then I would be perfectly happy with my D90.

Have the D90s dropped in price sine their release?

·
Registered
706 Posts
7D hasn't recieved rave reviews from the photographers that I know who have reivewed it. I looked hard at it to upgrade from my XT. but i think i will wait for the next round of models.

D90 is a solid camera, you'll be happy with it for 5-8 years I'd say. The body is the least of the concer, i've spent way more money on lenses than any body i've bought

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you guys are right. If not even one of you are recommending returning it, then it is probably best to keep it.

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. Now, time to go out and take some pictures.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Its a good camera

My wife nephew's have bought D90, and the image quality is very good. When time comes to shoot at higher iso speed it's better than the current canon t2i.

My kids are taking photography this Sept in high school and I was also think of getting a D90 for them to use. The only thing holding me back is the lens as I have a few canon lens.

The kit with the 18-105vr lens is quite good too.

Moving to dslr for the first time the D90 has everything you would need for awhile. If you were a previous D70 then I would recommend that you wait for the D90 replacement and compare the prices as the D90 should drop even further.

Enjoy the camera and do post of some photos. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Take the difference between the d90 and the 7d and spend it on a nice lens or two. If Nikon releases a newer model in the d90 series, so what? Wait for the replacement of that camera, or wait for a d300s or whatever replaces that.

Don't be in a hurry to upgrade what you have when it's working fine already, the money is usually better spent augmenting with lenses or a flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts