Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This almost looks almost like a competitor to the Canon 7D but just $100 more than Canon's new 60D.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/

•16.2MP CMOS sensor
•Magnesium alloy body shell (weather sealed)
•100% viewfinder
•1080p HD video recording with mic jack for external microphone
•ISO 100-6400 (plus H1 and H2 equivalent to ISO 12,800/25,600)
•39-point AF system with 3D tracking (tracking by subject color)
•2016 pixel metering sensor
•Scene Recognition System (see 2016 pixel sensor, above) aids metering + focus accuracy
•Twin SD card slots
•3.0 inch 921k dot LCD screen
•New Live View/movie shooting switch
•Full-time AF in Live View/movie modes
•Up to 6fps continuous shooting
•Lockable shooting mode dial
•Built-in intervalometer
•Electronic virtual horizon
•Shutter tested to 300k actuations
•Choice of 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW)

Canadian MSRP: $1279 for the Body and $1599 incl. 18-105mm lens.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looks like it could be a worthwhile upgrade from my Nikon D80. Not sure how good the 16-megapixel sensor will be though.

Can't wait for a review.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Specs and features looks good

I was all set to get a 60D for my kids for photography class in high school this month but with the announcement of the D7000 I might end up getting the Nikon instead.

Definitely has better specs than the canon 60D.

The only problem is that if I get the nikon my kids wont have access to my other lens. If I like the D7000 might end up buying one goos lens like the 24-70 F2.8 so that I can use it too. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe this is the lowest initial price we have ever seen for a magnesium alloy weather sealed body. It'll be interesting to see the specs and pricing for the Pentax K-5 next week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe this is the lowest initial price we have ever seen for a magnesium alloy weather sealed body. It'll be interesting to see the specs and pricing for the Pentax K-5 next week.
I was about to comment the same thing - dSLRs with magnesium alloy builds are approaching the prices we used to know with their film brethren. I think my Maxxum 7 was a little over $800. (edit - just checked, I think you're right, the k7 was released at $1300 US)

And yes, the K5 and rumoured a750/a77 are going to be very interesting releases now.

Yaamon said:
Definitely has better specs than the canon 60D.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the 60d hit the streets with a price drop. Nikon is offering a lot of camera for $1200; like I was saying in another thread, this isn't so much as a d90 replacement as something that sits between the d90 and the d300s.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
docted, no no the D7000 and kit lens 18-105vr would be for my kids to use. The 24-70 would be for me when I need to use the camera. If my kids get more seriously into photography there are more than welcomed to use what I have. They have respect for my stuff.

My son already brought home this week his photography outline. They will cover lines leading towards the subject, rules of 1/3rd etc.. Hopefully he will appreciate photography. My daughter who is one year younger is more into photography and I bought her a Fuji point and shoot a few years ago for her birthday. Her first comments after using the camera was how come her pictures don't come out with the nice blur back ground :)

The only reason I don't own a canon 24-70mm F2.8 is trying to get a good copy is like winning the lottery. I figure I would buy the nikon F2.8 and use the nikon when I need to cover that focal length.

If canon restructures the price line and lowers the entire rebel series and 60D to a price I can't refuse I might consider the 60D again.

It would have to be at least $300 cheaper than the D7000 price for me to consider it.

As other boards have commented the canon 60D has been shot down by the D7000. My wife nephew has a D90 and the 24-70 F2.8 and it take very good photos. The nikon f2.8 lens is incredible. I'm just hoping the D7000 has better iq than the D90 and I'm all set to buy one in mid October.

He also bought a 7d the same time as I did with the canon 24-70mm f2.8. He complained that the focus was inconsistent and asked me to check it. On both my 7D and 5D II at 24mm it front focused, from 35-50mm it's good and at 70mm again front focused. He dropped it off to canon for warranty last week with his 7D.

Canon thought they were smart stripping down the 50D replacement with no MA and no additional focus points to keep cost down and look on what nikon did to them. The 60D can't even AF in movie mode the D7000 can.

There was a small camera show 2 weeks ago and canon had nothing on display. When I say nothing I mean just the empty display counters and 1 camera the 60D with the 17-55 F2.8 lens. When time came the rep pulled out the 60D from under the counter for the presentation. Nikon, Sony, Olympus etc was all there even if it was a small show. This was pathetic, canon should not have bothered to participate.

I just called the store that I deal with and cancelled my 60D order and told him to call me as he gets his D7000 shipment in mid October.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The D7000 specs sure line up almost perfectly to what I'm looking for to upgrade. Hope this one is not going to be badly back-ordered if and when I decide to pull the trigger to upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been contemplating an upgrade for my 3 yr old D40 for awhile now... bouncing between the D90 and the D300s. After reading the preview on the DPReview site, it looks like I may have found my answer. A few of the online retailers appear to be taking pre-orders for them already.

·
Banned
313 Posts
One of the major pro photo stores in Toronto is advertising this D-7000 (pre-orders) for only $1279 (I presume Cdn.). This is only $80 more than U.S. price !

And if you haven't noticed, the D-90 is cheaper (especially if used) in Canada.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Yes, I realize that but I was surprised the Cdn. Nikon price is only $80 more than US.
Also, the D-7000 will probably sell like crazy, I'm glad to see that merchants are not adding a little extra.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I know what you mean. I guess since the CAD has become pretty much on-par with USD for so long, there's no more excuse for the huge difference in MSRP across the border.

Interesting enough, aside from the D7000, most if not all DSLRs has higher ESP on nikonusa.com than MSRP on nikon.ca!

·
Registered
21 Posts
been wanting to upgrade my D70 for a while now, had mulled over the D90 for quite a while, was just a few weeks ago that i had almost walked out of a photo store with the D90 thinking that for $829 was a good deal, now they're going for as little as $749 at vistek
after scouring ebay and the net i am now the owner of a d300s

·
Registered
326 Posts
Picked up a D90 body ($680) after long deliberation on D90 vs D7000. With my kind of skill sets, D90 is a bargain at this price. D90 is still an excellent DSLR. I paired it with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and am getting great results. All of this cheaper than the D7000 body

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, I've been keeping an eye on D90 prices as well, been hoping to find one for less than $600 if I can.

But damn the d7000 is still tempting even if it is $500 more.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
When I started photography in high school ( no classes, but for the yearbook), I was using a 20yr old Minolta SRT-101, with fixed focal lenses....

Oh, how times have changed....

Of course, I had a large backpack to carry my chalk and slate with me to class....

P

1 - 19 of 19 Posts