Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm exploring some apps for the Samsung Galaxy. Among many I installed:

- Synthesis SyncML to sync contacts between the phone and an email server. Works well.

- xtremelabs Speedtest...to do what the name implies!

- Toronto Traffic

Thanks for the reference to appbrain. I'm heading there shortly.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@jpaik,

Depending on which phone your are running the stock browser is a Chrome light from Google or an HTC modded variant, etc.

There are two pieces to Chrome2phone.

1. You need to install the plugin on your PC browser.
2. You need to install the app from the Market.

Once you have done that and signed in on both devices (it uses your google account) you can send URLs directly from the browser on your PC and your phone will either open them automatically or give you a notification depending on how you have it configured.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
probably the most important applet to have on our capped data plans:
-data counter widget(shows wifi usage and cellular data usage)
-3G Watchdog(same as above but does not show wifi data, so i am not sure if its monitoring "all" data or just 3g data?)

im testing both out for the month and see how they work out at the end.
I use Call Meter NG and it works pretty well for keeping track of call minutes, texts and 3g data. A little off on the 3g data side, says I use more than I actually do, but not to shabby none the less.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Goggles is a neat application, not sure if its provided on all android phones by default or just the nexus one.
It's available from google for free, regardless.

You snap a photo of something (e.g. the QR codes mentioned above) and it scans the image for key components and gives you search results.

So it's like a barcode-scanner app, that does so much more.
E.g. snap a photo of the logo from Price Chopper (the closest receipt I have) and it will give you search results, including a link to the flyer, etc.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I installed Goggles a few days ago and agree it's a neat app. I have found a few things it didn't know what they were, but I presume over time it'll get better and better.

If you use the default Android browser, BookmarkSB Pro is one I'd recommend (helps re-organize your bookmarks). This is something that should have been built-in, IMO, but the app works well enough.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Goggles was already installed on my Nexus One. I was experimenting with it the other day. I tried reading bar codes, translating text, recognizing my notebook etc. It looks interesting.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Shazam: very cool for those times your listining to the radio enjoying a tune but the DJ does not repeat the name of the song or artist. Used it at a pub on the weekend and it made out the music playing more times then none.

http://www.shazam.com/

·
Registered
569 Posts
I really like the "Places" app pre-installed on my Nexus One.

I was in southern NY over the weekend and the ability to find things relative to current GPS location proved very useful.

What's for Dinner? Well, here's a list of nearby restaurants, with reviews, links, map and directions.
Where's the nearest gas station, ATM, Home Depot, Lowe's?

Very handy when you're in unfamiliar territory!

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Another app is "TuneIn Radio", which receives radio stations via the internet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've found Key Ring to be a useful tool to manage the many loyalty cards that formerly stuffed my wallet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've found Key Ring to be a useful tool to manage the many loyalty cards that formerly stuffed my wallet.
@apn - I tried that app and couldn't get it to work at two of the stores I used it at the most. Does scanning it work on your phone?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm curious too, I tried air miles and safeway card at safeway and could not get it to scan. I have a Nexus One.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hmm, I just used at LCBO for the first time (Nexus One). It seemed to scan OK, but kept returning invalid number. When the clerk manually entered the air miles card # it still came back invalid.

When I got home I checked the app and found that it added a '5' digit to the end of the air miles card #, which might be why I had a problem. I deleted and re-entered my air miles card, hoping a recent app upgrade might resolve it, but the card # still had the extra digit on the end.

Here are some tips for successful scanning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksEYwtyhFA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmm, I just used at LCBO for the first time (Nexus One). It seemed to scan OK, but kept returning invalid number. When the clerk manually entered the air miles card # it still came back invalid.

When I got home I checked the app and found that it added a '5' digit to the end of the air miles card #, which might be why I had a problem. I deleted and re-entered my air miles card, hoping a recent app upgrade might resolve it, but the card # still had the extra digit on the end.

Here are some tips for successful scanning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksEYwtyhFA
I wonder if it's the AMOLED screen on my Galaxy S that's the problem. The scanners at Sobeys and the LCBO didn't pick up anything.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Recently tried out Google Sky Map and it seemed to work quite well. It's great for anyone who likes astronomy, or just wonders what that bright star/planet is in the sky.

You can either scroll through the sky map as usual, or you can use the phone's accelerometer/sensors to pinpoint an exact location in the sky.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Recently was trying a couple text to speech apps and found that Vlingo is superior to Shoutout.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Just a shout out to Appbrain.. This has made my android app life much easier. ITs a must have and really is a replacement for marketplace.. I love the ability to browse on my computers for apps and send them to my phone.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
In my ongoing hunt for a music player that worked well and provided gapless playback, I've finally managed to find one that's close enough: PowerAmp. While not mentioned as a feature, I noticed that track changes are extremely quick with this app (near-gapless). The program seems to take a couple of seconds to load, but once it does it's fairly speedy overall. You can even choose between folder or tag-based navigation.

The free version is apparently time-limited, but to me it seems well worth the $5 upgrade price. It has replaced MortPlayer for me.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've had no issues with the native music app - what do you mean by gapless?
When songs end the next one plays instantly (the only pause is in the music file itself, if any) and selecting a new song/next/prev is the same - no delay

Perhaps the app changed for 2.2? (assuming you are not running 2.2, of course)

41 - 60 of 102 Posts