Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
^^^^
It works by scanning for WiFi signals and will tell if they're encrypted or not. It shows all WiFi that it finds, not just public hot spots. So, it'll work anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Does WiFinder actually do anything that the built in Android wifi detector doesn't?

Personally I'm fond of Ringdroid which allows you to take any MP3s and cut out a selection for a ringtone or an alert. I also really like Recordoid, a dictophone app which includes a widget which is handy to quickly start a recording. Phoning pidgeon allows you to set a specific number which, should you get two calls from in quick succession, will activate your ringer even in silent mode in case you've misplaced your phone. I have a spare paygo phone for emergencies and I set that number, though thankfully I have yet to have to use it for anything but tests. I believe the same group also made Carr Matey which allows you to mark on a Google map where you parked your car, using GPS, and can thus direct you back to it.

Tricorder is a lot of fun, though not hugely useful for any practical purposes, and this may sound silly but I've gotten a remarkable amount of use out of the extremely handy flashlight app. It's amazing how effective it can be, and more so than just loading the dashboard.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
^^^^
WiFinder just finds the signals, like the built in one. However, it's easier to get to and looks better.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you do any hiking or things like that, make sure you have MyTracks installed.

It records your route using GPS coordinates and you can save a kml file that can be viewed with Google Earth. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If you're a TD customer, the TD Bank applet is very good. Also, if you haven't checked out some of the alternate launchers, ADW is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just started using Coverage Mapper. From the author's website:

Coverage Mapper is a crowd sourced cellular coverage mapper. The Coverage Mapper application runs on your mobile device (currently only available for Android), collects signal strength data, tied to your location, and submits it to our server. With the data from many people, accurate coverage maps are generated, to give you a better idea of the coverage in areas you care about..
I've quite enjoyed driving around with the program running then uploading the data when I get back to my WiFi network (though it can also upload over 3G) and then looking back at the maps to see where coverage is good/bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here are a few of my favorites on my Milestone:

3banana - great note app
LogMeIn - remote desktop connection (paid app)
News Pro - Thomson Reuters news app
GPS Status - satellite count, altitude, speed, compass, accelerometer
TripIt - travel organizer

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you're a TD customer, the TD Bank applet is very good. Also, if you haven't checked out some of the alternate launchers, ADW is pretty good as well.
It is not very good on the milestone. Very slow even over wifi when my connection is running over 10mbps according to the speed test.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
"applets" and not apps?
That's the general term for them, because they tend to be small specific function utilities that are written in Java. Here's what Wikipedia says.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been using Tasker. It's a fantastic phone automation tool.

I've got it doing the following:

Turning on WiFi when at home and turning it off when I leave.
Setting ringer and notification volume to low when I'm at work
Going into silent mode when I'm in meetings
Reading SMS messages when I'm driving
Responding with its location when a specific phrase is sent via SMS

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've just come from Blackberry, here are a couple of my favs that I've downloaded:

"Mileage": This app is free - track and record you fuel mileage easily. Review statistics and trends. Great if you drive a lot and if you care about it...

"Jewels": an addictive copy of the game "bejeweled". Can't go wrong for free

"Paper Toss": just an easy, good looking game to kill a few minutes if you have to. Also free.

"Weatherbug Elite": Pay app - The most comprehensive, easy to use, best looking weather app I tried

"Widget Locker": Pay app - allows you to completely customize how the locking screen looks and works. Allows you to add widgets to it, shortcuts to apps, change the style of locking slider etc. Also allows you to set a different locking screen background vs. your desktop background. Note, depending how you set this up your phone won't be completely locked when it is locked, because you can still open and close apps, widgets etc.

"Convert Pad": A handy free app to quickly convert just about any unit you would ever need to during everyday life.

+1 vote for "Ringlert": awesome app for free ringtones, alert sounds etc. Much easier than searching the net, downloading, transferring to your phone... etc.

"Dialer One" A free dialer replacement using T9 and your contacts to find and dial contacts easily.

"Handscent SMS": A free SMS handler. Better looking and easy to manage than the stock messaging app.

"Where's my Droid?": A free app. set a codeword or phrase and if you can't find your phone get someone else to text it. you can set it to override the ring settings and ring loud for a set period of time, also turn on the gps via a different phrase or the same one. I frequently forget where I put my phone down in the house, and this has made it much easier / quicker to find it by sending a text from the wife's phone.

Those are some of the ones I use regularly.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I wish the android market(desktop browser version) would get an update:
-allow searching
-allow emailing an app link so you can direct download from your phone when you find something on the market via your pc

ok just copy iTunes! iDroid market please!

That said here are some applets i like:
-tank recon 3d
-tower raiders
-goggles-

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
-allow emailing an app link so you can direct download from your phone when you find something on the market via your pc
If you use Chrome-to-phone, you can send links to your phone directly. Very cool app/chrome plugin.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
need froyo 2.2 but ill keep an eye out for it...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
probably the most important applet to have on our capped data plans:
-data counter widget(shows wifi usage and cellular data usage)
-3G Watchdog(same as above but does not show wifi data, so i am not sure if its monitoring "all" data or just 3g data?)

im testing both out for the month and see how they work out at the end.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been using http://www.appbrain.com for a few weeks now and must say it's a great alternative to the standard Android market.

From their webpage: "AppBrain is a website which makes sense out of the high number of apps available in the Android market."

It's not different from the Android Market just a different presentation.

You use the app on your phone and then sync with the apps you've choosen to download or uninstall from the webpage.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jvincent, is Chrome the default browser for Android phones? I assume it is. I just got the Samsung Galaxy and exploring apps. How do I get the Chrome-to-phone installed? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts