Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is not the right forum for this post.

I'm in Ontario, and was watching the Habs game on the Vancouver CBC HD channel (#582 here). The picture quality of the game was terrible, however the PQ of the commercials was perfect. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Silly part of it is that the game *was* available in glorious HD on RDS, but the CBC would rather spend our money sending out an SD truck and all that that entails than paying RDS what is likely a much smaller amount for their feed.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The game was not in HD. The commericals were.
I can't say about the game, but I've frequently noticed wide screen SD on the CBC. This is often the case on the news. Perhaps that's what you were watching.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Silly part of it is that the game *was* available in glorious HD on RDS, but the CBC would rather spend our money sending out an SD truck and all that that entails than paying RDS what is likely a much smaller amount for their feed.
Are you struggling under the mistaken belief that good business decisions matter to anyone at the CBC? ;)

They are a national resource, with lots of funding from the federal level. Therefore, employing Canadians and keeping them busy is far more important than providing good service or making sensible decisions.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well CBC does air both national doubleheader games in HD. They add various regional games some weeks. 99% of the time these games are just shown on the regional channels, which aren't in HD so CBC decides not to spend A LOT more money to use an HD mobile for these games. But I guess that's a bad business non sensible decision.

This was a rare occasion where one of these regional games was available on an HD channel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Habs on CBCHD Vancouver

I watched that Habs game and it was definitely in HD but there was a lot more macroblocking than on ch. 514, when there was a lot of motion in the picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts