Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1263 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the final year of the CBC/TSN agreement signed in 2007 for national broadcast rights. Lots of speculation that Rogers is making a push to get games on Sportsnet. Also speculation that the Saturday night package may be in play. Two questions for discussion.

1. What do you want to see happen? CBC/TSN/Sportsnet all have broadcast rights or one of the three being left out in the cold.

2. In the event CBC looses its rights, outside of Olympic coverage it will be the demise of CBC Sports. What hockey analysts and play-by-play guys will end up where?

For #1, I think all three wind up getting rights, with CBC retaining the finals, TSN and Sportsnet getting the first few games of the conference finals, and Sportsnet getting a Monday Night national package (TSN has MNF). If the NHL were to take the games off of CBC, it kills CBC to such an extent they are probably out of the bidding forever and would also kill an iconic brand.

For #2, I think Elliotte Friedman and Jim Hughson winds up at Sportsnet and Glenn Healy and Scott Oake to TSN.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would have to think that the NHL would want the Cup Finals on a broadcast/OTA network. Despite the fact that that OTA users grow fewer and fewer, it's seen as some sort of badge of honor in pro sports to have your championship on broadcast TV. I would think that any deal sees the Cup Final on either CBC or CTV in Canada.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. has one month to lock down the broadcast rights to Hockey Night in Canada for another decade. But with the asking price expected to double to $200-million a season, the country’s public broadcaster could be hard pressed to keep its 60-year lock on Saturday night hockey.

The CBC has exclusive negotiation rights with the NHL through August, but sources at BCE Inc. subsidiary Bell Media Inc. (which owns CTV and TSN) say the broadcast giant is anxious to step in if a deal with the CBC can’t be reached quickly.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/cbcs-hockey-night-in-canada-window-set-to-close/article13571882/?cmpid=rss1

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am hoping that the CBC learned their lesson when they fouled up the HNIC theme song purchase rights, a number of years ago! TSN won that battle!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I am hoping that the CBC learned their lesson when they fouled up the HNIC theme song purchase rights, a number of years ago! TSN won that battle!
That's an... interesting interpretation. The CBC refused to pay public money for something that would not affect viewership or advertising revenue at all. We could use more foul ups like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have to think that the NHL would want the Cup Finals on a broadcast/OTA network. Despite the fact that that OTA users grow fewer and fewer, it's seen as some sort of badge of honor in pro sports to have your championship on broadcast TV. I would think that any deal sees the Cup Final on either CBC or CTV in Canada.
The CBC doesn't really broadcast OTA anymore. Aside from a few major markets, the CBC cut-off most of Canada's access to OTA reception when they killed their analog towers last summer. Instead of transitioning these communities to digital, they just cut us off, period.

The CBC touts that only 2% of the population was affected by this, but I've never been able to figure out what they spun to get these numbers. They also tout the Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program as a "solution", but, IMHO, the program is a joke.

I often wonder if the CBC didn't spend all that (undisclosed) money on getting the Olympics backs, how many communities could have been transitioned to digital, allowing them continued access to the CBC OTA?

Anyway, this is all off topic...but, since I wasn't been able to watch a hockey game on the CBC OTA on the Bruce Peninsula at all last season, I'm not really going to shed a tear if the CBC loses the Saturday night games. And then, the Olympics will be their final step towards an endless downward spiral into CBC TV irrelevance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree. The question that always bugged me was whether or not the rights for that music would have been so expensive had tsn not put in an offer.

I sort of blame TSN on that one. CBC has a limited budget and can only offer so much. TSN tried to come in as the hero and buy the rights. All that did was create demand. If TSN hadn't put in an offer I'm guessing CBC would of renewed them. The creator of the music would probably take smaller royalties over no royalties.

We're a few years removed from this now, and it seems to make less and less of a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I liked the CBC broadcast of HNIC about 15-20 years ago, when they had several different broadcasts, all start at the same time 5PM Pacific(8PM Eastern). Then during a break in the game you were watching, they would show goals from the other games.
I hate the way they do it now, with a Maple Leaf game at 4PM, (Every Single Week), then either a Oilers, Flames or Canucks game at 7PM. I am not complaining about a variety at 7PM, but living on the west coast, I don't need to see a Maple Leaf game ever week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No one outside of the Toronto area wants to see the Leafs almost every single Saturday night on HNIC. We would love to see a variety of teams featured on CBC's HNIC on Saturday nights. The Toronto fans can go to the Air Canada Centre and watch their beloved Leafs lose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing Saturday night hockey leave CBC. Their broadcasts have gone downhill. From their dainty music beds and sound effects to still allowing Bob Cole announce games even though he has no idea what is going on who who has the puck most of the time.

Traditional Saturday night games would surely air on CTV if Bell Media got the rights, and they could air a US market game on TSN or a simultaneous Canadian game if they chose to do so.

One of the good things about the CBC broadcast is they haven't stopped to super imposing ads on the end glass yet.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um, you do realize Montreal had MORE games on HNIC than Toronto did last year.

See - http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156255&highlight=hockey+night

This is because the current HNIC package has a cap on how many Leaf games can be aired. Since the major ad revenue comes from Toronto, all English rights holders want as many Leaf games as possible. The demand for Leaf games wont be changing, although the NHL may again try to cap the amount of games.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HNIC

If it is not on CBC or CTV I will no longer be watching. I ditched my satellite TV a few years ago and the only thing other than news that I watch is hockey. If it is no longer free to watch I won't bother, I have better things I could be doing anyway...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I doubt that the CBC folks give much consideration to the viewing habits of people in the U.S., but I would guess most of us in SE Michigan would hate to see HNIC move off of the CBC because it's hard (impossible?) to watch any other Canadian TV source. I watch CBC OTA from Windsor all the time. I know that Comcast here carries CBC Windsor as well (although I'm not a Comcast customer).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first hope is that CBC keeps the rights, but if not then I'd prefer Sportsnet over TSN- only because I have Rogers basic cable which does not carry TSN. Whether Sportsnet gets more games or not, I wish they would drop Greg Millen from their broadcast- He's the worst colour man on TV!!

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really want to see them stay OTA and hope CBC keeps the Saturday package and perhaps the talk of a Sunday package does come around, with either CityTV or CTV picking that up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have already lost most of the sports I used to watch when I dumped satallite and cable for OTA. I really miss the CFL which I used to be a big fan of but can not longer watch as well as all the international junior hockey. I guess NHL going the same way.

·
Super Moderator
56,416 Posts
Several off-topic posts or bashing the CBC have been deleted. Please stick to the topic of this thread.

If people stray from the topic again, please use the "report post" functionality as mods cannot patrol all threads all the time.

1 - 20 of 1263 Posts