Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is it a schedule if they don't announce what teams will be playing at what time on the 3 days? Just curious what other sports fans think. Just picking on the wording SN is using.

We know that NHL Hockey will be on most Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays...but don't know what time the game will start, or who will be playing most weeks...

Kind of like another channel putting out a release saying "Horror Movie" "schedule" for Thursdays - with no times, movie listings, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Inglewood Did you look at the second link? I copied it from the press release for people that just wanted to see which teams would be playing on which dates and didn't want to dig through the press release to find that.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
@Dr.Dave - yes, but it only has the CBC schedule for HNIC on Saturdays - nothing else.

Just found the PR odd - that's all. I'm use to seeing a very clear schedule on press releases of this type, just not announcing a schedule with no firm schedule. I also figured SN would have a very clear NHL schedule figured out so they could schedule other events around NHL games as they would be the priority.

But I could be wrong - I'm just hypothesizing - it may be possible that the Blue Jays, MLB Playoffs, and as of late Raptors games may have importance and they don't want to commit to any schedule yet for NHL broadcasts. I just think SN's dollars are sunk into the NHL.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour gets underway on October 5 and 6 – the first weekend of the NHL season – in Halton Hills, ON. See the press release for the full schedule.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TSN delivers complete live coverage of all 28 tournament games of the 2020 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP beginning Thursday, Dec. 26 live from the Czech Republic, culminating with the Gold Medal Game on Sunday, Jan. 5. The action begins with two pre-competition matchups, as Team Canada faces Switzerland today (Dec. 19) at 12 noon ET on TSN1 and TSN3 and then Finland on Monday, Dec. 23 at 11:30 a.m. ET on TSN1 and TSN4. (Press Release)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Each year I'm watch in awe at how TSN has taken what was a once little noticed holiday hockey tournament and through clever marketing and cooperative media publicity turned it into a major TV sporting event. I'm not criticizing them for doing this, I'm just amazed that the tournament has become practically a Christmas tradition in Canada and a must-see event for most hockey fans.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It also doesn't hurt that a significant number of people are playing Fantasy Hockey and watch this tournament to evaluate the upcoming draftees.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Each year I'm watch in awe at how TSN has taken what was a once little noticed holiday hockey tournament and through clever marketing and cooperative media publicity turned it into a major TV sporting event. I'm not criticizing them for doing this, I'm just amazed that the tournament has become practically a Christmas tradition in Canada and a must-see event for most hockey fans.
For Canadians, yeah. TSN succeeds in stroking Canadians ego on hockey. The rest of the world does not seem to care much about the tournament, even the countries competing, even the country hosting. Look on the boards. Prominent sponsors are Scotiabank, The Keg, Telus, Sport Chek, Air Canada. All of those have no business in the Czech Republic.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Apparently they put the European sponsors on the boards not seen by TSN's cameras.

Also I'd partly disagree: when Finland won on home ice a few years ago, it was probably just as energetic in there as the average Canada game.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts