Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

The NHL has introduced an all new online feature called NHL Gamecentre Live which enables you to Watch Live and Archived Game on nhl.com NHL Gamecentre Live is having a "Free Preview" Weekend from October 10th-12th, all you need to do is create a free account on nhl.com ... go check it out and I think this is a great alternative to NHL Centre Ice

http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/console.jsp

Here is the article about Gamecenter Live

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/nhl-announces-general-availability-nhl/story.aspx?guid={87E69CA0-E0FD-4402-9133-ED17687AF73A}&dist=hppr

Features include:

Every night, NHL GameCenter Live brings fans into to the action with...

An exclusive experience. During each night of NHL action, NHL GameCenter Live will highlight a "Game of the Night" featuring camera angles not available to television viewers. These exclusive angles put fans inside the glass at select games with goal cameras, overhead cameras and more.

Multi-game view. Lets fans watch up to four games simultaneously. There's also a full-screen viewing mode.

On-Demand Viewing. NHL GameCenter Live archives all games from the current season and beyond so fans can watch games on their own time, starting 48 hours after a game ends.

Interactivity. With NHL GameCenter Live's chat capabilities, fans can connect and sound off as they watch the action.

Ticker and alerts. A complete scoreboard at the top of the page makes it simple to keep track of scores from around the NHL. Alerts let fans know when a goal was scored, or when a close game is entering the final few minutes so they can see where the action is and be there with a single click.

Stats, stats and more stats. NHL GameCenter Live features a direct feed from the NHL's own Real-Time Statistics.
Action tracking. A virtual rink lets fans visually keep track of where and when every shot, hit, goal and penalty came from, as well as instantly link to select highlights of each play.

Choose your audio. When available, fans can choose which audio feed (home or away radio) accompanies the game.

Game highlights. Access to League-wide video highlights at the click of a mouse.

Amazing Photos. Fans can now browse Getty Images for the rich, dynamic imagery available from every game throughout the League. In the future, fans will have the option to purchase these images.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY

Fans can subscribe immediately to NHL GameCenter Live at the early-bird discount rate of US$159/CAN$199 for the whole season, or for monthly early-bird installments of US$19.95/CAN$27.99. Fans who have purchased the NHL(R) 2k9 video game can receive a 60-day free trial of NHL GameCenter Live with proof of purchase by visiting www.nhl.com/livegames2k. To order NHL GameCenter Live visit www.nhl.com/gamecenter.
Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i don't have cable and would like this service, but what's the point when your team's games are blacked out. You have to try the service to actually see the game, only to discover its blacked out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its stated fairly clearly in their terms and conditions that games that could be available on your local cable will be blacked out. No need to "discover" anything after you've signed up. It is for those interested in out-of-market games.

·
Registered
320 Posts
also, any games on CBC (for example Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver) or TSN2 will not be shown even though you don't get the channel
If you own a TV you get CBC.

If you can't get CBC where you live, then its fairly unlikely you have internet access.

·
Registered
938 Posts
No, I mean, if you want to watch the Sens game and it is showing on CBC Ottawa only and your local CBC is showing the Leafs game, you won't get the Sens game on Gamecenter as well.
Theres a knock for it then...

Centre Ice on TV shows the Ottawa/Montreal games on Saturday night, when the Leafs are hijacking the main network.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No, I mean, if you want to watch the Sens game and it is showing on CBC Ottawa only and your local CBC is showing the Leafs game, you won't get the Sens game on Gamecenter as well.
CBC streams these games on CBCSports.ca, all of them each Saturday.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't understand why they need to be on Centre Ice or Game Centre. If you have Centre Ice, you probably also have timeshifting as part of digital cable or satellite. So why do they need to be on Centre Ice? Same goes for Game Centre, anybody who subscribes to that in Canada, can go over to the CBC website and watch them there. Obviously not being able to use CBC games as part of mosaic mode (or whatever NHL calls it, thats what MLB calls it) is the only thing that would be annoying. What's the big deal with watching, say Ottawa-Montreal for example, on CBCSports.ca, not Game Centre?

·
Registered
938 Posts
You pay extra for Eastlink timeshifting package. The CI package comes from InDemand meaning it is shown in the States, so they just don't black out the game because there is no other way for us to see it (Our Timeshift pack only has Vancouver)

In reverse fasion, Eastlink adds a 15th/16th channel which have VS games on it (the ones not on TSN2, usually VS games with a Canadian team that aren't shown on TSN2.

·
Registered
360 Posts
hey guys.

Folks with Gamecenter Live, how do they work the blackout restrictions? Is it based on your billing address or are they doing some geo location checks?

I was wondering if you could add a USA address to your Visa and sign up out of say Atlanta or some other city in the USA so we could watch most of the canadian teams.

·
Registered
938 Posts
hey guys.

Folks with Gamecenter Live, how do they work the blackout restrictions? Is it based on your billing address or are they doing some geo location checks?

I was wondering if you could add a USA address to your Visa and sign up out of say Atlanta or some other city in the USA so we could watch most of the canadian teams.
Based on your IP address... so blackouts are in effect for games that appear on the following channels:

All national games on CBC and TSN and TSN2

Sens games on SNET East and Sportsnet sens if you Ottawa-East.
Montreal games on TSN-Habs if you are Eastern Ontario-East

Leafs games on SNET Ontario and Leafs TV in Ontario minus Ottawa territory

Flames/Oilers games on SNET West, Flames and Oilers for viewers in AB, SK, MB, NT, NU

Canucks on SNET Pacific and Vancouver Hockey for viewers in BC/YT

NBC games not on TSN/TSN2 (like all 3 yesterday) are not blacked out. WGN games not blacked out either (Unless playing your in market team)

·
Registered
360 Posts
thanks for the info guys.

So am I right in saying someone could technically vpn into the usa on the nights they want to watch a game that is blacked out locally?

I don't have cable anymore so I'm just looking at all my options for next season.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
thanks for the info guys.

So am I right in saying someone could technically vpn into the usa on the nights they want to watch a game that is blacked out locally?

I don't have cable anymore so I'm just looking at all my options for next season.
Technically yes, but the TOS on NHLGCL says that if you do this and they find out they can terminate your service and keep your money.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
And they will also charge a 100 dollar Early Termination Fee

# IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND NHL ICE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26389

1 - 20 of 26 Posts