Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

-When will NHL CI be available to purchase on SD?
-Will it cost the same as last year? (I believe last year was $29.99/month for about 7 months?)
-Will we also get access to gamectr online like last year?
-And will they have any promos to go along with it like Shaw cable is doing (get a new receiver at a very cheap price if you sign up for NHL CI or NFL ticket)

-Also: I live in TO and want to watch ALL Edmonton Oiler games. Will they ALL be available to me on CI? What % is also available in HD? It should be at least 70% on the 6 CI HD channels. Keep in mind I am on OVP with no extra HD packages.

Thx.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Never got it so I got to ask is it worth it? I already got all the Habs games with RDS and how much more hockey can you watch. Come to think of it with the upcoming Price fiasco of a season $30 a month to watch anything else does not sound so bad!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Never got it so I got to ask is it worth it? I already got all the Habs games with RDS and how much more hockey can you watch. Come to think of it with the upcoming Price fiasco of a season $30 a month to watch anything else does not sound so bad!
I had it for the last 3 years and it's the best move i made .

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad the price is the same as last year.

So me being in Toronto, will I get ALL Oiler games? I'm really just purchasing CI for this one team as there is no other way to just catch there games being out of the local market. And how many will be in HD? I forgot that since Sportnet one came along, there will be no more PPV games, therefore the 3 HD NHL PPV channels can also be used to view games.

When does it go on sale? Is there usually an early bird signing price? Are we able to catch the training games as well?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You should get all Oilers games broadcast thru the combination of TSN/TSN2/CBC and CI. Think I remember hearing there was 1 with no TV coverage.

There isn't an early bird special that I remember. A select few pre-season games make it on to the schedule usually. As far as when it goes on sale, it looks like you can signup for it on the SD website already but they have made no formal announcements concerning CI or Sunday Ticket yet that I have seen.

Last year a subscription to watch the games online thru NHL Gamecenter was also included so hopefully that continues this year too.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yeah there might be 1-2 Oilers games with no TV coverage. One is on Saturday night (CBC has to choose an Oilers game or a Senators game) and the other may end up on TSN2 or Sportsnet One (which would mean CI too). All of those games will be in HD (with the exception of 1-2 that might be 7:00 regional games on CBC).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the Center Ice package last year and will again, all games televised are shown. With living in a small village with a couple of the fellows living in the area during their minor hockey career's and during the summer it is nice to watch them play and their not on any Canadian teams. With the NHL package all games will be shown no muss, no fuss. I can see no reason to purchase Sportsnet 1, just to watch the Blue Jays

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I have a free month coming from a referral. If I sign up for NHL CI, will the free month cover my regular monthly rate + the monthly CI rate? So $50 for the OVP and $30 for NHL CI = 1 month free at $80?

BTW - I do have TSN/TSN2/CBC so I guess I will receive all the games except the one that's not televised (which they may play online anyways). I don't have TSN or TSN2 in HD. Will those games be played on CI in HD?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Premiums, Movies extra and Pick 'n' Pay are not included in the credit. So no, CI is not included in the referral credit.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
I don't have TSN or TSN2 in HD. Will those games be played on CI in HD?
Short answer- no.

Remember NHLCI is for "Out of Market" games.
i.e. Games you would not be able to see with the channels that are available to you.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
- Didnt think CI would be included in the credit.

- So any games on TSN won't be available at all on CI? Or do they play them on both? How do leaf games that are on CI work for me? Is that channel blacked out? If so then I guess that's what they would do for TSN games as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
D_source: Since you live in the Toronto region. All Leafs games on TSN / Sportsnet/ Leafs TV or CBC are not included with the Centre Ice package.

You will have to pay for these channels to see these games.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the blackout rules, i'm just wondering how it actually works. CI carries all the leaf games as well. So is that channel now blacked out to me? Can they blackout one channel per user? Seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
TSN and CBC Leaf games aren't carried on Centre Ice. Leaf games on Sportsnet Ontario or Leafs TV are blacked out to protect their exclusive rights to that they get the ratings. Its not hard to do since Shaw Direct already has to black out local NHL games on Sportsnet Pacific, West and East.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I live in the Toronto region and can confirm what is said above. If you attempt to view a leafs game on one of the Centre Ice channels, a blackout message will appear and advise you what channel to view the game on in our region (ie normal dial position for TSN, TSN2, Leafs TV, Sportsnet ect.)

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thanks for the info.

Blackouts cover HD channels as well? In other words, I have TSN obviously that game will be in HD and most likely carried on one of the CI HD channels. I don't have TSN HD. Will the CI HD channel be blacked out?

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
For the last time since you live in Leafs region: If you don't get TSN HD or Sportsnet Ontario HD or Leafs TV (HD games on HD Sports 1) - these games will NOT be shown on your NHL CI package.

NHL CI is for OUT OF MARKET games. i.e. games you would not be able to see otherwise.
If you don't get TSN HD now- ordering NHL CI will not add that channel to your package for hockey games.

You will see Sportsnet West/ Pacific/ and East games in HD.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For the last time since you live in Leafs region: If you don't get TSN HD or Sportsnet Ontario HD or Leafs TV (HD games on HD Sports 1) - these games will NOT be shown on your NHL CI package.

NHL CI is for OUT OF MARKET games. i.e. games you would not be able to see otherwise.
If you don't get TSN HD now- ordering NHL CI will not add that channel to your package for hockey games.

You will see Sportsnet West/ Pacific/ and East games in HD.
I actually meant Oiler games which are out of market games. If an OILER game was on TSN and TSN HD, would I get that game in HD through CI even though I don't have TSN HD as part of my package?

I confused myself in my Q above, sorry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts