Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw in Edmonton has unscrambled the signal for NHK until March 17 so Japanese subscribers can follow the news of the earthquake from home. Any one heard of TELUS following suit ?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hey Barry, Telus is too unscrambled on Channel 540. They are also donating $100k and have $5 donations by text to reflief groups. Not sure about free long distance phone calls though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, 540 is free until March 18.

To give $10 to the Salvation Army in Canada, text QUAKE to 45678.

To donate $5 to the Canadian Red Cross Society, text ASIA to 30333

·
Banned
89 Posts
Is TV Japan in HD? (the NHK is of course) If not, will they be upgrading anytime soon? I'm thinking of keeping it afterwards.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has disappeared in Edmonton as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
TV japans free preview has been extended until March 31 to allign with their free calling to japan via telus residential landline/mobile until march 31. I'm not near a tv, so I can't check if it's still live.

If you can't see it, new and existing clients can call in and have 1 month free TV japan (540) added onto their account. Like most things, call to remove or be billed after the month is up if you go this route.

·
Registered
43 Posts
TV Japan 540

I had TV Japan with Shaw and since August last year have had it with Telus.
I pay the fee as I enjoy the programming. It is not on HD which is more the pity.
Nihongo dai tai wakimashita!
It is mostly NHK but they feed other broadcasters like TBS.
Some very good serials and some with subtitles. I like the variety.
When the earthquake hit [2.46 PM Japan or 9.46 Pacific] I was watching BBC World News and they flashed on the news.
I then switched to 540 and saw the start of it all. It was all live from then on.
Ever since then it has been all NHK but I have a series recording programmed for a serial called "Tepan" lo and behold the PVR picked up the listing and duly recorded the episode without any prompting on my part.
This happened last Friday so I suspect things may be normalizing now as they are adding more regular programming and it it still a "Live" feed.
I was not aware of any freebees you guys got so do I get a rebate.
Morioka is Victoria's twin city and was hit but not a mention in our press or media as far as I could see or hear.The Times did publish my 2 day old letter on the 18th.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm pretty sure they will not rebate you if you miss out on the promo and ask for it once it's expired.

So just call in and get them to add the promo code onto your account. You do have until March 31st to have it added on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The channel known as NHK in Japan is not to be confused with "TV Japan",

which although is O&O by the NHK Corporation, is a completely different

service. I don't believe the NHK branded service is available outside of

Japan? I haven't checked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The channel known as NHK in Japan is not to be confused with "TV Japan",

which although is O&O by the NHK Corporation, is a completely different

service. I don't believe the NHK branded service is available outside of

Japan? I haven't checked.
NHK [Nippon Hoso Kyokai] is the national broadcaster in Japan.
Equivalent is the BBC,CBC,ABC etc.
As far as I can gather and have seen for myself,TVJapan [via OPTIK TV] normally carries mostly NHK branded programming and others such as TBS,Tokyo Broadcasting System and other private broadcasters.
Therefore not to be confused with NHK.
At the moment it is mostly NHK with the LIVE news and some programming such as the current High School Baseball tournament [NHK].
One of the serials TEPPAN [NHK] is broadcast daily before the news lately.
Even then they sometimes show live information left and above the program being broadcast
Most scheduled broadcasting is off.Also the TVJapan website seems to be unavailable during this crisis per my Google search as to what the reason of unavailability was.
I have a clock set to Japan time and it is in sync with NHK time displayed on screen.
There is the NHK International web site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts