12:00pm – Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins

CTV Saskatchewan
11:00am – Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts

CTV Alberta
11:00am – Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins

CTV Atlantic
2:00pm – Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts

That sure didnt take long.

Now, the Bills might be blacked out, does that affect Canadian viewership? (I believe it doesnt, I think last year Bills had an away game, in which an away teams viewing area HAS to show the game, and CTV didnt, but maybe the blackout rules are different?)

Also interesting that Rogers is making the push for the bills, CTV has 1 pm rights, and ALL Bills games are 1pm. Im guessing Rogers wasnt too happy about that.

(and my bad, its week 5, oh well)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Even the most $$$ from Rogers is not going to force the Bills into the 4ET time slot - that is reserved for west coast starts and for featured games in FOX/CBS alternating weekly doubleheaders.... at 0-4, and being one of the smallest markets in the NFL, Buffalo is not going to get a featured game unless they are playing a super team that is on the verge of some record.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep Bills blackouts apply to Toronto too since CFTO and CITY are available OTA in Buffalo.

I think CTV's thinking on the Bills will be that if the game is against a good team (Miami, Green Bay, New York, New England are examples from this year), they will air it. If it is against a bad team and there is another good game on, they won't bother.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the local blackout rule and showing Away games are different rules?

Last year CTV (both Toronto and CKCO) didnt show Weeks 11 [email protected], and NFL rules state that an Away game must be shown.

And its expected to be blacked out in Buffalo, and so are other upcoming games (minus Pitts, which is "sold out")

NFL schedule was set in stone months ago (minus what NBC can flex out for its 8pm Sunday), and all Buffalo games were already 1pm.

Lear year, the Bills had 2 4pm home games and 3 4pm away games. Weird they would go exactly to 0.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
On my guide it says: Cogeco

CBS 1pm - Scheduled: Jacksonville at Buffalo

CTV-T 1pm - TBA

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They are different rules in a sense. Toronto isn't an official secondary market, so there is no rule that they have to carry away games. However, because Toronto stations are available in Buffalo they can't provide Buffalo with Bills games that are blacked out.

Let's say that the Bills played at 4pm and were blacked out. The game couldn't air on Citytv, but I think it could still air on Sportsnet Ontario since Sportsnet Ontario isn't available in Buffalo. The rule is less about what can or can't air in Toronto, but what can't be available in Buffalo.

I have no clue what happened with the 4pm games. I think that they may have requested extra last year to please Rogers. Its quite possible that since Rogers is doing a horrible job with the Toronto game that they just didn't bother this year.

Musashii - It hasn't been officially blacked out yet, so CBS can still list it. I expect it to be changed by Friday.

·
Registered
537 Posts
They schedule the marquee teams as much as possible for late or prime-time so it makes sense for them to schedule the crappy teams for the early game (unless it's a west coast game in which case there is no choice).

I suspect the reason for the lack of 4pm games is the schedule maker thought the Bills would be awful this year. Good call.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple things happened, CKCO left the NYG/Hou game early to show the ending of the GB/Was game, but Rogers left the simsub on Fox Buffalo way too long

and second, CTV showed the entire ending of GB/Was. I guess CTV doesnt have to abide to the 4:15 bonus coverage rule? (wont complain about this one, as it was nice to see the ending, lol)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No CTV doesn't have to abide by that rule. Generally this season they have showed live games until all 1pm ET games are finished, even if the game isn't scheduled to air on any CTV station.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I'm pretty sure last week Jay Onrait mentioned they had to leave a game at 4:15 because of NFL regulations.

Perhaps if it's a game in OT this doesn't apply to CTV? Not sure why this would be the case.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I know that CTV picked up bonus coverage of Eagles-Lions a few weeks ago and it went well after 4:15pm ET. I have only watched early games 2-3 times this year, so I'm not sure what they have been doing most weeks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im out in BC paying $3.99 for Canadian time shift to watch the bills games so I dont have to order Sunday Ticket but this week the bills game wasnt on. Blackout I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts