Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why do those of us who subscribe to the Super Sports Pack - which purportedly includes NFL Sunday Ticket - continue to miss games?

Case in point - the Buffalo Bills played host to Cleveland this weekend, the game was far from a sellout, so was blacked out on the Buffalo CBS affiliate. CTV had planned to show the game, but were apparently completely overwhelmed by the technical challenge of picking up the Cleveland affiliate. So no coverage there (they showed the Cincinnati -Pittsburgh game I think).

I can sort of tolerate that - but why was the game not shown on Sunday Ticket? Hello, Rogers et al, anyone paying attention to this? How do you not deliver the entire schedule to your subscribers? I believe there was no Bills game available last weekend either under the same circumstances.

Super Sports Pack is the only game in town for sports junkies, and is miles more coverage than us sheltered Canadians have ever had access to, so I suppose the cable suppliers expect us to shut up and pay and like what they give us.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'd be on the phone complaining as by definition NFL Sunday Ticket includes all games.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Case in point - the Buffalo Bills played host to Cleveland this weekend, the game was far from a sellout, so was blacked out on the Buffalo CBS affiliate. CTV had planned to show the game, but were apparently completely overwhelmed by the technical challenge of picking up the Cleveland affiliate. So no coverage there (they showed the Cincinnati -Pittsburgh game I think).
CTV was never scheduled to show that game. They were scheduled to show Minnesota-NY Giants which moved to Monday night. They showed Green Bay-Detroit instead. Cincinnati-Pittsburgh was on TSN2.

I can sort of tolerate that - but why was the game not shown on Sunday Ticket? Hello, Rogers et al, anyone paying attention to this? How do you not deliver the entire schedule to your subscribers?
The blackout of the Bills game extends everywhere 75 miles from Ralph Wilson Stadium. Since parts of the GTA fall within this reigon, Rogers cable cannot show this game, even on the Super Sports Pack. This is common practice in the United States too.

I believe there was no Bills game available last weekend either under the same circumstances.
Again, not true. That game was played in Minnesota so any blackout would not have applied to Buffalo. CTV Toronto showed it. Show did WIVB. That is why that game was not in the Super Sports Pack.

If you are going to rant, at least get your facts straight. I started subscibing again to the Super Sports Pack this year, and I think its fantastic. Every game (excluding non-blackout Bills games) have been available and in High Definition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected

Thanks for the correction and informative post - I was not aware that the GTA is considered part of the Bills "blackout territory" - even as regards Sunday Ticket. Guess I should have read the fine print. And I agree, overall, Super Sports Pack delivers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey scott hate to say your wrong... But you are.

Sarnia had no sign of the game and it is oh about 333 km away from Ralph Wilson.

Don't assume people are wrong when they complain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't assume people are wrong just because they complain. There are many legitimate complaints including yours regarding the Bills-Browns game not being available in Sarnia. I can only speak about Toronto, because that is where I live. Perhaps Rogers doesn't have the ability to only black out in certain areas. But I know in the US if even the tiniest part of a cable system DMA extends into the blackout zone, then the entire DMA can be blacked out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought about it later on and if cable providers don't have the ability to black out only parts of the Super Sports Pack then all of Canada has to be blacked out which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If Toronto is indeed considered part of the Bills market, then why doesn't CFTO (CTV Toronto) have to carry all Bills road games as part of NFL TV rules?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was referring specifically to this section of the NFL Broadcasting rules:

"Selection of Games to be Telecast Regionally

By network contract, all team road games must be telecast back to that team's home territory (franchised market and secondary blackout markets)."

·
Registered
689 Posts
We have gotten blacked-out Bills games on Sunday Ticket in NB before, although not in HD.

Didn't check on Sunday though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts