Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on the highway Sunday afternoon during my 49ers game. Since I have Sirius I figured I'd listen to the game. All the commercials say both the home and away broadcasts etc. etc. However, I turned to 125 and it was the Seahawks broadcast and was having trouble finding the 49ers broadcast. So I tuned to 194 which had the Sirius Sports Schedule feed repeating over and over, it said it was on channel 91. So I tuned to Channel 91 and it said channel not subscribed.

Apparently, channel 91 is ESPN Deportes and not carried on Sirius Canada. It annoys me that since in Canada NFL is Sirius exclusive, Sirius XM in the US sticks games on channels that Sirius Canada doesn't carry. I'm not sure whether fans of the NFL have listened to the other team's broadcast but it is never a neutral broadcast. So listening to the Seahawks, I was forced to hear them whine about bad coverage by the O-line when the 49ers would break through or when the Seahawks had a penalty they would whine. I'd much rather listen to the 49ers broadcast where the homer coverage is at least in reference to my team.

Since the merger in the US, I've notice the sports coverage has been slowly dying out on Sirius in Canada. For some reason the majority of the NBA they used to cover got transferred to the Best of XM channels. It seems the majority of big NCAA games had the same fate. So I am left with the majority of the NFL broadcasts and toilet bowl racing (NASCAR). If the Best of Sirius could be purchased on XM so I could get Howard Stern, I'd make the switch.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I sympathize.

Interestingly, according to the NFL Schedule on Sirius Canada, the 49ers broadcast was never scheduled on Sirius Canada.

Not sure how Sirius sells it, so I don't know if they are being deceptive or they simply don't have the bandwidth.

·
Registered
200 Posts
maybe it was goodthing it wasn;t on ,you mighta drove off road since it was all seahawks in a blowout ,38-6 ,ouch ,long year ahead!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sympathize.

Interestingly, according to the NFL Schedule on Sirius Canada, the 49ers broadcast was never scheduled on Sirius Canada.

Not sure how Sirius sells it, so I don't know if they are being deceptive or they simply don't have the bandwidth.
Yeah the reason the Niners broadcast isn't listed is it was on ESPN Deportes (Spanish ESPN)'s channel which was dropped from Canadian radios in 2008.

But since the majority of the listening I do is the Howard Stern show, I get the US commericals on there as Howard is not commercial free. On the NFL commercials Sirius XM always advertises "get all the home and away radio broadcast to every game." I realize this is a fault of Sirius Canada and not Sirius XM in the US, but you'd think they'd figure out a way to make this work. I imagine the lack of ESPN Deportes is due to a CRTC requirement of x number of Canadian channels for every x number of American channels. I think it is for this reason, a couple of the music channels (Lithium on 24 rings a bell) are actually programmed from Toronto as to meet the CanCon.

Anyway, it is getting frustrating the slide in sports on Sirius. I went from having half the NHL, some NBA, NCAA football, basketball and baseball, CFL, NFL, NASCAR, F1, Bobsledding, Skiing, Arena Football and the NLL to the CFL, NFL, NASCAR and F1.

As for my Niners, I don't see it being a long year. I think it was just one bad game. Alex Smith when he is hot is a good QB, but he does have games where he is stone cold too and couldn't find a receiver to save his life.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Don't really see it as a bandwidth issue. The satellite beams down everything; it's the individual radios/services that dictate what you can hear.

Just like there's no technical reason why XM Canada subscribers can't get the "Best of SiriusXM" package. It's strictly a licencing/rights issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Sirius Canada and XM Canada are 2 separate companies.

They also have to meet the one Canadian station per 10 non-Canadian station ratios, which is why we don't get the full complement of stations offered south of the border.

Instead of adding more Canadian content- they subtract US content to keep the ratios.

·
Registered
933 Posts
NFL was partially on XM Canada

I had listened to Formula One on Sunday Morning, I think it was XM 241 or 242. Anyhow next time I turned on XM radio They were carrying a nfl game and it carried a second one later. Kind of funny.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I do listen to NFL on Sirius also (no other way to get a Miami Dolphins game play by play in SK) and I know what you mean about it sucking listening to the opposing teams play by play, but as long as I get one or the other I am happy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh for sure it's good to hear the game at all. I just irks me when they advertise it on those looping schedule feeds and Sirius Canada doesn't carry the channel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I so agree - it is the same with XM canada. the loops describe 15 NCAA football games and maybe maybe one makes it to a XM canada channel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts