Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow thanks for sharing that link!

"We're proud that Canada will be one of the first countries in the world to make a shared gateway available to accelerate the adoption of this technology, thanks to the capital commitments and technological capabilities of Canada's wireless carriers."

Is this a Canadian first? Will be interesting once this is all up and running to see if the carriers from down south come knocking on the doors of the carriers up here to ask how did you do this and can you help us? :)

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
It seems like they have a very aggressive timeline:
EnStream expects that its infrastructure to connect financial institutions and wireless carriers for the secure deployment and management of financial and other credentials will be operational by year-end.
And speaking of NFC payments - the CIBC/Rogers initiative was supposed to go live last week. But when I go to the BB App World (or to CIBC's Mobile Banking web page) I don't see the CIBC Mobile Payments App - it still says that it is coming later this year.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Is this a Canadian first? Will be interesting once this is all up and running to see if the carriers from down south come knocking on the doors of the carriers up here to ask how did you do this and can you help us? :)
Not really. The Canadian carriers came together to build Zoompass, which actually won considerable critical acclaim and experienced moderate success early in the smartphone explosion, but then faded out of view. I'm not sure why they abandoned it, and why they didn't attempt to leverage the existing Zoompass infrastructure for NFC systems.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
CIBC and Rogers complete the first mobile credit card transaction in Canada

The new mobile payments capability from CIBC and Rogers means clients will be able to pay with their CIBC credit card, whether Visa or MasterCard, without retrieving the plastic card from their wallet or purse. They can simply hold their Rogers BlackBerry® smartphone up to a contactless payment terminal and the payment will be automatically charged to their CIBC credit card. The CIBC Mobile Payment App will be accepted at the tens of thousands of Visa payWave™ and MasterCard PayPass™ contactless terminals across Canada and around the world.

As the rollout to clients begins, the new CIBC Mobile Payment App will initially be available on two smartphones on the Rogers wireless network - the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 and BlackBerry® Curve™9360, beginning November 16th 2012. As of today, NFC SIM cards required to access the solution on Rogers suretap™ ready devices can be ordered online. Additional suretap-ready devices will support the solution in 2013, including Android and Windows Phone 8 platforms, broadening the offer to more Canadians.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1063949/cibc-and-rogers-complete-the-first-mobile-credit-card-transaction-in-canada

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
suretap expands to Android and BlackBerry 10 models

suretap ready devices certified by MasterCard and Visa as secure and ready for mobile payment solutions on Android and BlackBerry 10 operating systems

Rogers Communications announced today the certification of its suretap service for the Android and BlackBerry 10 operating systems. The certification allows credentials issuers including banks, loyalty and reward programs to develop mobile payment solutions for Android and BlackBerry 10 devices that leverage the secure SIM card in an NFC-enabled device.
Suretap ready devices now certified as ready to support new mobile payment applications that accept MasterCard and Visa credit cards include:

• BlackBerry Bold™ 9900, BlackBerry Curve™ 9360, BlackBerry Bold™ 9790 and BlackBerry Z10 models
• LG Optimus G
• Samsung Galaxy S III and Note II models

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
suretap expands to Android and BlackBerry 10 models

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III. Just checked the Play store, and no sign of a suretap application from Rogers.

I assume the application will come from bank/credit card company?

Checked the link in the previous message, and followed a link in that article to the Rogers website. That website states that it only works for CIBC VISA cards, and only for Blackberry devices - in other words, the page needs to be updated.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
rfielder, I think you're reading too much into the press release:

allows ... banks ... to develop mobile payment solutions for Android and BlackBerry 10 devices
devices now certified as ready to support new mobile payment applications that accept MasterCard and Visa credit cards
Nothing in the press release says that CIBC or any other bank has developed new apps yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
Highlights from the press release: Rogers to deliver first mobile wallet from Canadian carrier

Rogers announced today that its suretap™ wallet, the first mobile wallet from a carrier in Canada, will be available to customers in the coming weeks. suretap™ wallet will be available on select NFC-enabled smartphones and will offer a co-branded virtual Rogers Prepaid MasterCard and gift cards from select national retailers as the first cards available for download.

Rogers has entered into various strategic relationships within the mobile payment industry, including officially joining forces with MasterCard Canada through a multi-year strategic agreement to support innovation and drive adoption of mobile payments technology across Canada. Through these initiatives, customers who download the suretap Wallet™ will have the ability to add a co-branded virtual Rogers Prepaid MasterCard that can be loaded with funds to use at their favourite retailers across Canada.

The suretap™ wallet will deliver a secure mobile payment experience, safely storing payment card information and passcodes on the secure SIM card in select NFC-enabled smartphones. Customers will have access to additional features within the suretap™ wallet including gifting of gift cards, reloading of prepaid cards, the ability to check account balances, view recent transactions and use location services to find contactless payment terminals nearby. In the near future, additional cards will become available for download including payment cards from multiple banks and payment networks and loyalty cards.

suretap™ wallet will be available for download in the coming weeks on select Android and BlackBerry devices. To learn more about the suretap™services, compatible devices and to order a suretap-ready SIM Card, visit www.rogers.com/suretap.

My comments: Now that Rogers owns a bank, it's able to issue it's own Prepaid MasterCard and access MasterCard PayPass POS terminals that support NFC transactions. Retailers usually require a signature for purchases over $50.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
On the one hand, Android and Blackberry support NFC (though Blackberry doesn't really matter anymore).

But on the other hand, Android, Microsoft and Apple all support Bluetooth LE. Now we're talking 98% of smartphones including the coveted iOS segment known to spend more despite smaller marketshare of handsets.

If I were a retailer, I'd be pretty excited about a payment system that didn't have to kick a few points to the cellular cartel...especially if that system allowed me to completely rethink marketing and promotional strategies.

Enstream is the old boys club trying to muscle in and steal profits even thought they add no value....digital mobsters if you will. IMHO, they have no credibility and are anti-consumer. Here's an article with a different perspective.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
RBC Wallet now available

RBC Wallet now available: First Mobile Solution to provide Canadians with the Choice of Debit or Credit

The RBC Wallet, powered by RBC Secure Cloud, is now available, enabling RBC Mobile clients to purchase goods and services with their RBC Interac Debit or Visa credit cards using their Bell Mobility Android smartphone.

"We are excited to bring the RBC Wallet to RBC and Bell Mobility clients," said Dave McKay, group head, Personal & Commercial Banking, RBC. "Our vision is for the RBC Wallet to work on all phones, with all carriers, and include value-added services and solutions - all safely secured in RBC Secure Cloud. As technology is rapidly changing, we chose a phased approach, enabling us to bring this exciting new technology to a portion of our clients right now, with many enhancements to follow."

The RBC Wallet powered by RBC Secure Cloud is currently available to RBC clients who have a Samsung Galaxy S III or Samsung Galaxy S4, some of the most widely adopted Near Field Communication (NFC) enabled smartphones, operating on the Bell network, and have an upgraded NFC-enabled SIM card.

The RBC Wallet offers added security and protection as client payment information, including card details, is stored virtually within RBC Secure Cloud and not on the phone. Furthermore, payments made with the RBC Wallet are protected by the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee. To download, visit the App Store, text "RBC" to 722722 or visit www.rbc.com/securecloud. The RBC Wallet will be adding MasterCard and be available on more devices in the spring of 2014.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Why should it be only Bell customers? Does Bell play some part in this? I'd have thought it would be between the bank and cell phone app.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Blackberry has a similar special deal with Rogers and CIBC. Or at least they did. Who knows if it's still an option or not. I was considering setting it up on my work BB.

I see they have also expanded to other handsets.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Why wouldn't it be?

Because everyone and their dog is trying to distance themselves from Blackberry that's why.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Still feels like a solution without a problem....now I have a debit/credit card whose battery runs flat once in a while?

I still need to carry a wallet with cash/ID, etc, so what's the upside?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts