Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an IPTV box attached to Shaw Internet noticed that they are being blocked during certain multi-hour periods of the week? Here in Edmonton, this appears to have started in early November.

I have relatives with a NEXTV IPTV box connected to Shaw Internet. During certain periods each week, they get nothing at all. Their most recent phone call to NEXTV in Toronto got a response that Shaw is blocking NEXTV and negotiations between the two companies are underway.

From "on the ground", it appears as if the blocking is automated, and based on periods of high network traffic.

On Sunday, I did a side by side test with TELUS ADSL Internet and Shaw, both 15Mbps-rated services, on the same NEXTV IPTV box. TELUS worked, Shaw did not. Since then, now 48 hours, TELUS has worked flawlessly.

--------------------
EDIT BY HUGH: Please see post #6 before posting in this thread.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
While I can't talk specifically to whether this is true or not, it seems to me that Shaw would be unleashing a world of hurt on themselves if they were in fact blocking a legal IPTV service. I know they like to flout the rules from time to time, but this would seem to be aggressive even by their standards.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I have relatives with a NEXTV IPTV box connected to Shaw Internet. During certain periods each week, they get nothing at all. Their most recent phone call to NEXTV in Toronto got a response that Shaw is blocking NEXTV and negotiations between the two companies are underway.
Here is a good example of the 'real' reason why these greedy conglomerates want to force UBB on everyone (and not just the bandwidth hogs). In recent years many IPTV companies have sprung up on the Internet offering packages of Ethnic channels to viewers. Just like online movies sites like Netflix offer an alternative to movie buffs so to do these services offer an alternative to those who are interested in watching TV from their homeland. UBB is nothing more than a front to get rid of the competition, Bell, Rogers & Shaw are desperately trying to hold on to their monopoly status by any means including getting their cronies at the CRTC to implement anti-competitive rules such as UBB. This clearly shows why conglomerates like Bell, Shaw & Rogers should not be allowed to own the infrastructure and should only be service providers.

Now I understand why Shaw (as well as Rogers, Bell, Telus & more recently MTS) have been adding more and more ethnic channels to their lineup in recent times. They want to prevent companies like NEXTV from getting a foot in the door and taking away business from them. Its time the current government (the one that was supposedly all about letting market forces rule) step in and remove the barriers that are allowing these monopolies to exist in the Broadcasting & Telecom sectors. Time to let market forces decide who exists, who succeeds and who doesn't.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
This all reminds me of the days a few years back when they "Rogers, Shaw, Bell" were trying to stop people from using satellite dishes to pull in free ethnic programming. Now IPTV has become the new target.

One way around any blocks would be to setup a router in your home to connect or 'tunnel' through a VPN service. This way the ISP like Shaw will have no clue what you're doing. Then connect the IPTV box to the VPN router.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
PlayitSimple, before you go throwing accusations around, you better be sure you know what you are saying.

It's quite possible the OP is mistaken. Do we have independent corroboration? Has the OP contacted Shaw to find out what its going on?

If it truly was happening, why is Nextv not talking to reporters and the CRTC and complaining.

As noted by TravisC, Shaw would be "unleashing a world of hurt on themselves if they were in fact blocking a legal IPTV service"

Before accusing anyone, we need independent confirmation that Shaw is blocking Nextv

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would ask that only users who have experienced this or can comment specifically on this situation post in this thread.

PLEASE ONLY POST IN THIS THREAD IF:

• You are experiencing the same issue as the OP or
  • You can speak specifically as a representative of Shaw or Nextv.
all other posts will be deleted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts