Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2415 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So it is going to be the Cisco 98xx or G8 as originally dubbed in 2011.

Have to wait and see what features are enabled for Rogers customers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ive been hoping for this improvement. Lets see if it gets out to the public for 2014.
I expect it to work as follows:

Gateway to be installed either in a hardware/media closet OR at the main TV room.
connections as follows: Cable in (Coax), Ethernet cat6 (10/100/1000), HDMI (if plugged into a TV).

Receivers as follows: Apple TV, Xbox One, smart TV, media box (various manufacturers) etc.

Im excited and speculating using my own home setup.

Gateway in closet (docsis 3 modem, home phone hardware, 10/100/1000 switch, cat6 wiring, 802.11ac wireless router)
TV in family room connected to 8300HD (may replace it with Apple TV). **wired ethernet
TV in master bedroom connected to 8642 (may replace it with Apple TV). **wired ethernet
TV in Childrens Area connected to 4250HD (may replace it with Xbox One). **wired ethernet (existing wii, xbox360)
Future Apple iTV in the basement (speculation). **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Ipods x2 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Iphones x2 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Ipad x1 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I don't think any gateway on the market right now can support that many unmanaged IP devices. These gateways are typically only capable of transcoding for one or two unmanaged devices at a time.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Funny, I recieved an email from Rogers this morning asking if we wanted to be part of the testing of NextBox 3.0. Took me to a Rogers site to simply accept Rogers offer, asked for no information.
How do you get to be a beta tester? The drive in my 8300HD has failed and I could use a new PVR.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dont like it at all. I know its modern and simple, but I would much rather just have a grid with the channel and what is playing now, in one hour and so on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My guess is that is just a 'chromed up' demo to show off the capability of the platform. Production UI's will probably be a lot more vanilla.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
I could use a new PVR.
Read the terms in the link. The new PVR is only on loan for two months and must be returned after that time. Rogers even charges $25/mo rental while you have it. They then provide a $50 credit to offset the rental. Just don't record anything you might want to watch after the 2 months is up.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I dont like it at all. I know its modern and simple
I agree. Judging from what I saw, this interface is more likely to get in the way than be useful. I get the impression that many designers put "glitz' and "gee whiz" ahead of function and usability. Windows 8 is a perfect example of that sort of nonsense. Well, he said the companies could customize it, so, knowing Rogers, we may wind up with the same IPG as on the 8300HD. ;-)

I too want a means to quickly and efficiently get to the program I want to select for recording. Multiple swipes to get there just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well put. Now a days it seems like its design and "prettiness" outweighs functionality. I just want a guide that is responsive and has the channel logos instead of the stupid call letters...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The demo is just purposely over the top just to show off the potential capabilities of the platform. I doubt any MSO would actually ever deploy anything close to that. This video shows and actual MSO deployment of snowflake and you can see much of the glitz has been pared down and they have your traditional functions like the grid guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k23_K5f4hU

Rogers is also a customer of Comcast's Reference Design Kit. So they might be developing something in house like Comcast, instead of relying on a 3rd party vendor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Beta testing receivers have now been shipped out.

UPS is apparently going crazy today with massive deliveries of these receivers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I did not sign up in time to become a beta tester, but I friend of mine did.

Apparently it's the Cisco 9865 receiver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So far here's what I've heard:

- faster
- 8 turners
- record 7 at once and watch 1 live
- search function is the same
- TV call display not yet working
- 3 minute skip feature
- faster channel changes