Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2421 - 2440 of 2441 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
A hard reboot may help. From the FAQ, here are the important numbers. What are yours?

7. The signal strength information is on page 5. You need to look at the QAM side. The "level" should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum (for digital stations). If the level is below -10, you'll see the number change to "orange" for "warning". You may have to change splitters, cable, etc to rectify the situation. Call your service provider and they'll usually rectify with better splitters, cable, possibly an amp or a new "drop" into your house. (Interestingly, many of us have found that the SA8300HD gives "false" signal strength readings of -20. If all other readings are "normal" and you've got no other issues, do not worry about a -20 reading on the SA8300HD)
8. On the same page is the Signal/Noise ratio. The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB or higher, although a good HD signal can be received with slightly lower numbers. If your S/N is around 30-32 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I apologize for being dense, but I've never had to dig into the STB menus so I'm struggling to find screens that match the Cisco guide. On QAM Status (from Manufacturer Diag), the S/N is 43.10. RFPower is 1.8. Both dbmv values are in white.

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
Looks like your signal is fine, if not a bit "strong". Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions. One possibility is that the iHDD is starting to fail. Are you hearing any unusual sounds like clicking sounds that you didn't hear before?

Is it always at exactly the 2 minute mark of a recording, or does if vary some?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Unplugging for 30 seconds may help when a soft reboot does not. Unplugging longer, such as overnight may also help. From my own experience, the new recording issues appear to be caused by bugs introduced in the firmware and errors in guide information. The Nextbox and Rogers guide service have a long history of such issues. If all else fails, and you don't mind losing all recordings, resetting to factory defaults in the menu is probably the best bet since it will clean out disk, timer and recording corruption issues but it won't fix everything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The shows I had scheduled to record today went through properly. Full episode playback. Fingers crossed that holds up throughout the week. All I did was soft reboot it a few times last night.

I didn't hear any clicking from the HDD. The bad recordings were all listed as lasting 0:02, but I didn't time them to see if that was correct. Some definitely felt shorter than others. One actually locked up the box. I should note that yesterday, I noticed that it was still able to correctly record shows that were airing live. It was just scheduled programs it was having issues with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just recently, we have noticed that our PVR blanks out for a second or two while watching a recorded show on TSN. Other channels appear to be OK, but this is not definitive. Is this likely to be a HDD problem? If so, is there a way to transfer over any already recorded material?
thank you

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
It might be related to signal strength. Have you measured your signal or called Rogers and have them check it remotely? Have you talked to your neighbours to see if it's an issue that affects more than one home?

There is no way to "transfer" the recordings. The only thing that could be done is to record to a DVD recorder or Hauppauge HTPC.

·
Registered
472 Posts
blanks out for a second or two while watching a recorded show on TSN. Other channels appear to be OK, but this is not definitive. Is this likely to be a HDD problem?
Does it happen with live shows on TSN?
I’m wondering if it’s a 720p issue. You might have a marginal HDMI cable or a connection was disturbed, and 720p is more bandwidth than 1080i.

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
1. TSN is a 1080i channel.

2. The 9865 only outputs one type of video signal. You can choose 720P, 1080i, 1080P.

3. 1080i uses more bandwidth than 720P, however, it's immaterial, see items 1, 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A hard reboot may help. From the FAQ, here are the important numbers. What are yours?
Newbie and frustrated NB3/9865 owner here. I too am having Conn/PEnd issues and have been reading this thread with lots of things to try. However, I have an question for signal strength: given the -10/0/+10 range, I only see references to more negative values, which are apparently weak. Conversely, I have much higher positive values, ranging from +16.2 to +19.9. What do these high positive values indicate? Anything different from their out-of-range negative counterparts?

When I chatted with Rogers, the rep said there was a signal drop at my address and sent a tech "that may come into your house (given public health circumstances)". Conversely, I don't know if here did anything outside the house. All I know is the first thing he said when coming in was the box was bad, before checking anything... so I didn't get a warm tummy feeling. Is it time to ask for a more senior tech? Or how many times do you need to contact them before that becomes an option?

A potentially related issue: I noticed the9865's HDD has a huge amount of bad sectors ("remapped sector count"); can this in any way influence these other problems?

Thanks in advance.

W

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
I have much higher positive values, ranging from +16.2 to +19.9.
Those values are really high and can possibly damage your box. They are also very rare. Are you sure those are correct? You could insert a splitter into the line that would attenuate the signal.
I noticed the9865's HDD has a huge amount of bad sectors
Even with a bad drive, the box will usually boot and you can see the channels, just not record, or view recordings. Have you tried performing a few reboots? Based on feedback earlier in this thread it appears the issue went away by itself and perhaps was caused by an issue at Rogers Head End.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those values are really high and can possibly damage your box. They are also very rare. Are you sure those are correct? You could insert a splitter into the line that would attenuate the signal.
Even with a bad drive, the box will usually boot and you can see the channels, just not record, or view recordings. Have you tried performing a few reboots? Based on feedback earlier in this thread it appears the issue went away by itself and perhaps was caused by an issue at Rogers Head End.
Thanks for the quick response; sorry to be tardy with the reply.

Here two screen shots; what kind of damage could it cause?

Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia Electric blue Font Technology Electronic device Display device Multimedia

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any specific recommendations. Perhaps someone else does. I'm assuming there isn't currently an amp in the line because those readings are so high. If there's an amp, you could remove it and replace it with the appropriate splitter. You may wish to contact Rogers as they will check your signal and provide the equipment (appropriate splitter) if necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, after waiting forever for delivery, I received and installed a 6db attenuator and the box is now reading a level that within normal ( around 6.xx DbmV). I also replaced the HD and it seemed to take. The reason I say that is I’m still getting the Conn/Pend errors.

So, what would your advice to say to Rogers? And is there a polite way to ask for a less apathetic technician?

Or should I give up this set top box and move to the Ignite packages?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
They can check signal levels remotely and adjust if too high, without entering your home or touching the box.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you are renting the box, then just take it to a Rogers store and get a replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So after confirming the old drive was toast and trying a new HDD to no avail, I now have a NB3 that I’m not sure if it’s not working due to local signal conditions or something else.

So is there any interest in a hard drive-less NB3 for a DYIer for a few bucks? Any suggested posting sites for such an audience?

Thanks to all for their advice and information earlier this year.

·
Super Moderator
56,885 Posts
With everyone being switched to IgniteTV, there are lots of working 9865s on Kijiji for not much money - $50 or less. Regular STBs or non-working PVRs are not worth much.

2421 - 2440 of 2441 Posts