Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it sounds like SaskTel has beaten Access to the punch with the next generation of guide software.

Some SaskTel customers are reporting they are getting the multi-room media software this past week. It allows access back to your PVR from all kinds of devices such as your phone or through the internet. It also has 14 days of guide and a few other goodies.

I also noticed in SaskTel's announcement that they have a user-friendly approach to the upgrade. They send you the necessary remote and manual ahead of time, along with advance notice of your conversion date. Then they put reminders on your screen the day before your upgrade is to occur. It begs the question as to why can't Access Communications do similar customer-focused approach for planned outages and upgrades?

This thread can serve as a watch and see how long before Access Communications can respond and hopefully catch up. Anyone have any info on how soon they will have something next generation for the customers? Any predictions on how long before they have something competitive?

·
Registered
579 Posts
When it comes to "next generation", Time Warner Cable (which used Passport/Passport Echo a lot in some markets as well as SARA) has been replacing it with Navigator, a new Tru2Way compatible guide program. Thenagain, everyone says its a pile of junk so I guess that makes it moot. Thenagain further, their Motorola markets use iGuide.

Furthermore, for that upgrade they didn't have to send out new remotes cause they didn't screw with the key mappings as much as SaskTel decided to do (MAIL button. Why?)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it comes to "next generation", Time Warner Cable (which used Passport/Passport Echo a lot in some markets as well as SARA) has been replacing it with Navigator, a new Tru2Way compatible guide program. Thenagain, everyone says its a pile of junk so I guess that makes it moot. Thenagain further, their Motorola markets use iGuide.

Furthermore, for that upgrade they didn't have to send out new remotes cause they didn't screw with the key mappings as much as SaskTel decided to do (MAIL button. Why?)
Some good speculation there, and a valid point about the remote. To me though the main point was that they had an actual schedule, pre-planning, and they communicated with their customers.

Compare that to Access' version of an upgrade: no planning, no schedule, and certainly no communication. Customers wake up to a powered-off, malfunctioning STB and have no idea what happened. They contact their provider who first denies any problem, then claims they are working 'around the clock' to fix it, then says it will be fixed in a few days, then goes silent for 4 months. Customers are reduced to complaining about it amongst themselves or just quietly switching to a competitor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts