Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scientific-Atlanta will expand its set-top leadership position with innovative new DVR with DVD

Building upon its award-winning Explorer(R) 8300(TM) digital video recorder (DVR) platform, Scientific-Atlanta today announced its new MCP-100(TM) Media Center DVR with a built-in DVD burner. This market-leading product will combine all of the great features of the current Explorer 8300 platform, including multi-tuner DVR, optional high definition DVR, DOCSIS (DSG) and Multi-Room(TM) DVR capability, with a new built-in DVD player and burner.

The MCP-100 Media Center is currently scheduled to be available Q4 CY2005.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Article says:

" The new MCP-100 Media Center will add DVD burning functionality for
standard and high definition content that will give consumers the ability to
simply and securely record their favorite shows and movies onto writeable
DVDs."

Asking SA to advise if burning a DVD with HD data gives an HD or SD playback. Not sure present technology would allow burning in HD.

Will advise...if SA replies.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Geez, SA...how about giving us working Firewire ports so we can use what we already have before you spend time working on something like this?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I thought the firewire ports physically work already but the firmware Rogers gives us doesn't not have them enabled.

Am I wrong?

-Darryl

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
mfabien said:
Asking SA to advise if burning a DVD with HD data gives an HD or SD playback. Not sure present technology would allow burning in HD.
There is nothing stopping one from burning a DVD-ROM disc with HD material that is encoded with MPEG-2, WM9, DivX or whatever but these will not play in DVD players, just in PCs. However it is unlikely that this box would do this.

It would be nice if these SA boxes also acted as media portals that connected to your LAN and allowed you to view movies and photos from your LAN and play music from your LAN, just like my Gateway Connected DVD player.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If that is the case there must be some bigger reason why it isn't working yet other than they haven't coded it? I wouldn't think the code for that would be very complicated.

Maybe some powerful US Movie or TV associations/companies don't want it enabled just yet?

-Darryl

·
Registered
643 Posts
Agreed Johnny G
Not having any access to OTA signals in My area, I would sure like to see working firewire ports, or barring that to have the ability to have both
the DVI Output & the component OUT outputs able to both function at the same time that would be just as good for me. Then I could go DVI to the TV
and Component out into my Pinnacle DV box into my PC. If I could ever get
that setup working I would be Buying a new HTPC real Soon.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
RRH said:
Then I could go DVI to the TV and Component out into my Pinnacle DV box into my PC. If I could ever get that setup working I would be Buying a new HTPC real Soon.
But can you actually digitize the signal coming from the component cables. I don't think that is possible without spending 10's of thousands of dollars, is it?

·
Registered
643 Posts
But can you actually digitize the signal coming from the component cables. I don't think that is possible without spending 10's of thousands of dollars, is it?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1189883&CatId=1424

Sorry Wayne
My Mistake MY pinnacle box will only do Composite or Firewire, But my new box
the ADS one above does have component in, I am just not sure if it could handle The HD data rate, IT will do component out(480p) from a DVD player
I have hooked up to my Video editing PC Into the PC through Firewire With NO problems though so I am Hopefull at this point that could Do IT. I should
hook up my LG upconverting DVD Player up to it and Give IT a shot at 720p
and see if it works ok, I have a idea it will work alright.

·
Registered
63 Posts
what about this Multi-Room(TM) DVR

We have a DVR downstairs and there is always a fight to watch what was recorded, will this ever make it to prime-time?

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is nothing stopping one from burning a DVD-ROM disc with HD material that is encoded with MPEG-2, WM9, DivX or whatever but these will not play in DVD players, just in PCs. However it is unlikely that this box would do this.
You can burn a disc with HD material and then there is lots of software that will allow you to convert to a playable DVD format for all standalone players. :D

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
...or you can buy the $79 Phillips DVP642 player and simply playback the DivX or MPEG2 files straight up without any conversion. I watch burned DivX files all the time on DVDRW discs without any conversion.

·
Registered
751 Posts
RRH said:
Not having any access to OTA signals in My area, I would sure like to see working firewire ports, or barring that to have the ability to have both the DVI Output & the component OUT outputs able to both function at the same time that would be just as good for me.
On an SA8300HD (at least on mine) you can have both the HDMI and component outputs (and also the S-video output) active all at the same time. The only catch is that when an HDMI cable is connected to the 8300, it must be active for the the other two outputs to be active. This means that you have to have something (usually a TV) hooked up to the other end of the HDMI cable, and it must be powered up so it can negotiate HDCP and whatever else is required for the HDMI to work. Otherwise, just an error message is output on all the outputs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Cool Scotta
I will Have to check into that, I am using a SA3250 HD box and when
the DVI Is connected the analog component connection is disabled

Also FYI I tried to run an upconverted 720P signal through the ADS
AV link box from the LG, ITS a NO GO doesn't work at all 480p is fine, according to ADS
the max resolution of the curret chip is 720X480, They said the A/D
converter chip
is capable of handling the HDV 720p tranfer rate
and the 1080i transfer rate but the current converter
chip cannot handle the 4 /5 Times higher bitrate of of the HDV or HDTV
stream at this time. It worked some what but was dropping frames like
crazy, and at 480P it never drops an frame I can capture for hours at a time
usually without any frame loss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When these new 8300HD (DVD BURNER) boxes come out, does Rogers offer a trade up program for people who have purchased the older 8300 HD stb's? Having a 1 year old, it sure would be nice to have the option of recording the mountains of kids programming my wife has PVR'd onto DVDs and get it off my 8300's hard drive.

Just curious.

Thanks

Tunnel

P.S. - I am also currently paying the extra $4.95 per month to warranty my purchased 8300 HD. Would that assist me in getting an upgrade?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You may or may not be able to negotiate an upgrade. You can call them at the time. It's unlikely, but Rogers has been pretty good about some things.

In your case though, just buy a inexpensive DVD recorder and use the "copy to VCR" function and an s-video connection.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
wysiwyg said:
When I asked the rep if the drive would be blue ray, he laughed. He said that if it would be, the cost of the unit would be much much more. They are going to stick to a DL drive for now, so I guess just SD recordings.

Here are the links to the pictures, sorry for the delay.

Michel

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9306/mcp1002vx.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7633/mcp10024zd.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7021/mcp10033ie.jpg
Both HD DVD-9 and BD-9 (on DVD) are part of the respective standards. So, it's possible to store HD on DVD, just not a whole lot (about 1 hr of ATSC). Note, these burns are locked to the STB, so I wasn't implying portability here.

You'll note in the pictures the concept of a multi-disc burn is already contemplated for this.

I wonder what the additional cost of a VC-1 or MPEG-4 transcoder would be?

Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts