Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... they need to add a Wireless G or N ability to these devices.

Right now, for most people, their router is next to the cable modem because of necessity. The SPA-2102 (et al) for most people are near the router because they don't want cables running everywhere. This means that the base for multi-handset phones is also nearby.

If the 2102 has a G or N adapter, you can configure using the ethernet port, then sustain the connection with the wireless adapter. That means you can put the 2102 and the base wherever you wish. If the phone connected wirelessly using bluetooh or something, then even better!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do put my phone base anywhere I want. I just connected voip adapter to whole house phone line.
Basically, everything is in the basement - modem, router, voip. Upstairs is just an additional wifi access point.
Just for fun, here is a small diagram of my home network ;) Sorry, too much irrelevant details here, please ignore:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
They don't make them wireless because they want them to have the QOS wired, or even straight from the modem, offers.

And yes, the usual MO for them is install them where practical for networking, and plug them into your home phone wiring infrastructure.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I thnk most people would be surprised just how often wireless networks stutter...whether its due to channel congestion or interference from a microwave oven.

For surfing and email, it's tolerable, butfor real time applications like voip or multimedia streaming, its just not acceptable. I went so far as to whole-house wire my network and use Wifi only for select few devices such as iPads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts