Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kobo today announced Kobo eReader owners can now subscribe to the digital copy of dozens of U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines.

To stimulate trial, the company, in conjunction with publishers, is offering 14 day free trials to selected newpaper and magazines.

The following is the monthly pricing for various Canadian and American newspapers in Canadian dollars.

• Globe and Mail - $15.95
  • National Post - $14.99
  • Wall Street Journal - $15.99
  • New York Times - $20.99
  • Calgary Herald - $13.99
  • Montreal Gazette - $13.99
  • Vancouver Province - $13.99
  • Vancouver Sun - $13.99

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
just out of curiousity, how does it compare to the regular print versions?

I personally think this is the future for written news

·
Registered
10 Posts
Magazines on iPad

Apart from Zinio, Kobo is the only iPad app that I know of that will allow you to subscribe to magazines in Canada. Magazines available via those apps, bough via subscription, are slightly cheaper than the individual issues of similar magazines such as Wired, Maxim and Time that must be bought per issue via their respective apps.

If you are like me and rarely take your iPad outside the house, you may prefer the web based model adopted by magazines such as Metropolis, as it is significantly cheaper. That said, if your iPad has access to wifi or 3G, it is hard to justify paying for a magazine or newspaper when you have the entire World Wide Web at your disposal (including Flash if you use an app like Splashtop to surf on your iPad via your computer).

Then there are newspaper publishers like Acadie Nouvelle that cut out any midlemen and offer a simple PDF, actually quite attractive on an iPad, to digital subscribers and people clever enough to change the date in the URL. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe you are getting less than kindle or they have rights?

I have tried the free trial on Kindle for a few newspapers and tried a few mags. An well to be honest they are a waste. No pics. An not full content.

Just a waste of money on the kindle (to me that is).

I guess if you just want to have a general glance they are good enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts