Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Extreme Plus customer with Rogers and SpeedTest shows 20+ MBPS but when I go to download files from Newsgroups (using UseNetServer) I am capped at 9MBPS.

UseNet tech say there is no problem on their end so is there something I can do with Rogers??

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try Astraweb... EasyNews seems a little expensive compared to what I am paying now.
I am using NewsBin Pro and I can't seem to increase my connections past 10. No increase in speed at 10 either...

Which reader are you using? Are you with Rogers?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Possible dumb question about GrabIt.

I am downloading at 1201 KB/s... isn't that MUCH worse then the 9MB I was getting with NewsBin or should I be reading that as 12MB??

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You weren't getting 9MB/s at NewsBin (not possible with a 25 Mbps connection), you were getting 9 Mb/s with equals 1156 KB/s.

B = bytes
b = bits, 8 bits in a byte.

I usually get 3 MB/s (megabytes) = 24 Mb/s

Try using SSL connections.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it...
In that case I am still having the same problem then... Signed up to Astra, using Grabit and have 20 connections open... still at approx. 1200 KB/s.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Using both Astraweb and Supernews (uses Giganews servers), I am able to hit my full 70 Mbps as of right now. (just tested)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using the SSL US server and my connection starts and climbs to 17 and then drops back to 9 quickly.

I was reading another post that said that the guy had a "grandfathered" Extreme account and needed an update put on his file. I don't know if this would apply to me. My speedtest are all showing 20+ speeds...

It has to be a Rogers issue since I have the same result with UseNetServer.

What am I doing wrong?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Can you confirm that you can do a straight download at sustained 25 Mb/s from a web site that has plenty of bandwidth? For example, I get 3,000+ KB/s downloading Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 using FDM.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called Rogers.
Found out I DO have a grandfathered 10Mbps Extreme account. I need to pick up an SMC modem from them to get the new speeds.

Will try tomorrow.

J

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not seeing anything here; consistently getting 1.1 to 1.2MBps on Astraweb w/ SSL turned off.

That's pretty much the full down pipe of my 10/1 Extreme service.

·
Registered
462 Posts
extreme plus here, newsbin client, newshosting service. No issues, maxing out connection any time I use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts