CBC News(all of them)
CTV(all of them)
AJE(both English & Arabic)
Russia Today
MSNBC
the various ethnic Channels News
News from the Omni news ethnic programing
and so on.

If you where to watch all of them (and understand all of the ethnic ones) I bet you'd have different versions of the same story/

The fact is whether its right winged, left winged, pro west,anti west,pro east, anti east, you going to get different version of a story and how its told.

Which news agency is telling the truth?

I guess it all depends on where you live and the political views/state of the country your in.

Personally I have no problem with any of the news channels, be right, left,pro or anti. For me if I don't like it or don't like the station.

Simple don't watch it.

But to say No Fox News North,

then I say No left wing news in Canada either.

Like I said let their be two sides just don't watch or listen, how hard is that?

Anyways thats he way I see it.

Sure I don't like Fox News, but at the same time I have no problem with it being allowed in the country or what their saying, I just choose not to listen or watch.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I think most of us wouldn't care if they set up here IF

1) They had to go through the regular CRTC hearing process
and
2) They were in no way granted mandatory carriage status

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually i was referring to the actual news content these channels broadcast in Canada.

Almost all the ones I mentioned are available already in Canada except for some of the CNN ones(non english speaking), AJE(arabic),some of the BBC(all expect BBC News World), all the others I mentioned are presently available. Basically I was refering to was news you hear on the Chinse or Italian or Greek etc are not the same point of view as those from North America(engish & french based here).

Thats the difference. When you hear news thats not based on Canadian or US views/nature, you get a different propective of a certain event.

Example

If a news story makes the US or Canada look bad more then likely you'll have the Canadian/US media 'change' the story to make us look good in the world.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think most of us wouldn't care if they set up here IF

1) They had to go through the regular CRTC hearing process
and
2) They were in no way granted mandatory carriage status
Yep. Kinda makes the "don't watch it" point moot if we're forced to pay for it as ppart of a package. Ideally no channels would be required to buy if you have digital.

However Cogeco has hidden a bunch of religion channels on Digital Basic - I'm not paying for that jun just like I wouldn't pay for Sun TV News/Fox News.

But since I can't I won't be getting TMN/HBO or MSNBC (for example).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I find that the best news channels are the ones that can provide an outside perspective that isn't tainted from a circle of influence. So, BBC World News for instance will be more impartial and unbiased in reporting U.S and Canadian news. They'll be reporting it as they see it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Best News

It tends to come from public networks.

CTV and Global have a huge right wing bias. Proof is not only in their editorial content but the path former stars have followed, Peter Kent, Pamala Walin, and the biggest of Senator of them all. Jane Taber is former National Post wing nut.

CBC, PBS and BBC have balanced news, and dont have to kowtow to anyone.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
^^^^
They're impartial if you agree with them and biased if you don't. ;-)

·
Registered
291 Posts
For American news I prefer the Daily Show with Jon Stewart;) All I need to know about what's going on down there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like the Euro style of news where the presenter is not the main event. Tell me what is going on around the world in 30 minutes and I don't want to sit there and listen to an interview that is useless. I like how say the BBC will bring two economists that have different points of view instead of the American style of bringing on two partisan bloggers or politicians that add nothing to the story.

Obviously the news station the BBC have in the UK is different and it gets accused by conservatives over there as having a liberal bias but in my opinion it is still miles ahead of its American counterparts who are so biased that in my opinion they are in the same league as Russia Today or Press TV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Watch most of their news programs, George Stroumboulopulus, Suzuki, CBC Radio, etc. etc. etc....proof? here you go
George Stroumboulopulus' show is not a news show, it's just a plain old talk show, and Suzuki's The Nature of Things is a documentary series. I wouldn't actually call that a news program and group that into the same category of News Now or The National.

If you want to judge the degree of CBC's so-called bias in its news, then judge it by actual news programs with reporters and analysts, not The Nature of Things and George Strombo Tonight.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Watch most of their news programs, George Stroumboulopulus, Suzuki, CBC Radio, etc. etc. etc....proof? here you go :
George Stroumboulopulus' show is not a news show, it's just a plain old talk show, and Suzuki's The Nature of Things is a documentary series. I wouldn't actually call that a news program and group that into the same category of News Now or The National.

If you want to judge the degree of CBC's so-called bias in its news, then judge it by actual news programs with reporters and analysts, not The Nature of Things and George Strombo Tonight.
Er, you do know what a comma means, don't you?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ofcourse there's a difference, and not just in Point of View. It also depends on what kind of news you want. You want US-centric news about terrorist attacks, Obama being a bad President, and someone finding a finger in their chili at Wendy's, watch Fox or CNN. Want World News, watch BBC or CNNi, want unique regional news that most other channels overlook, watch Al Jazeera.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Er, you do know what a comma means, don't you?
Yes, I'm well aware of what a comma means. My post was referring to the fact that the poster used shows such as George Stombo Tonight and The Nature of Things as proof that the CBC is "biased". Using Strombo as an example is like using The Tonight Show as proof that NBC is biased in some way. My point is that if you're going to use examples of bias, stick to using actual news programs, not these kind of shows.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well, IMHO, bias is bias, whether its the news, documentaries or Saturday morning cartoons. Furthermore, the extent to which bias is perceived in non-news shows must surely be a strong indicator a similar bias exists within the news department. At any rate, the topic of the thread is news channels, not general content channels, although in the case of CBC and CBC Newsworld, there can really be no serious argument that one tilts one way and the other tilts the opposite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts