Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi...Great forum.
I've been think of changing from Shaw satellite to Telus Optic because of the HDPVR. Shaw WILL NOT take monthly payments and I can't afford to pay them $500 straight up so they're losing a 15 year customer and Telus is giving one away (for a 3 year subscription)

Anyway...question 1

Shaw has about 60 local radio stations (talk, rock and oldies) from across Canada in addition to Galaxie. I cannot find them on a guide even though their advertising says there are stations from 687 -9 something. Anyone find them yet?.

Question 2

Has Telus Optik interfered with Telus internet (which I have) as far as bandwidth is concerned? Has it slowed you down? Have you been able to convert from an internet contract to an Optik/internet/phone contract?

Thanks in advance. I know it's a lot of questions but I'd like to get some answers before jumping over.

PS I've looked for these specific questions on the forum but can't find them. If I've missed them...my apologies.:)

·
Registered
598 Posts
1. Had some corrupted recordings in early May when I was out of town. Not sure if it was a poor internet connection or PVR problem. No biggie as I just torrent as a backup.

2. In addition to Galaxie, TTV carries radio stations from the major markets in B.C. and Alberta, at least for Vancouver.

3. D/L speed will drop if you use any streams. It's still faster, on the most part, than the 3Mbps I had before getting TTV.

As for contract, my partner had her (uncontracted) phone service for years. We added internet to it for 3 years, and then added TTV 2 years later for a 3 year term. i.e., contract for each service is separate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Seems to be some confusion on Telus' part as to who is or isn't capable of getting the full service. That should be my first question to them.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
albertatv, I think your best starting point would be to phone Telus and find out if you eligible for Optik TV and which profile would apply to your location. The on-line database doesn't seem to be accurate since they introduced VDSL.

This post will allow you to estimate your internet speed based on the number of HD and SD streams you are watching or recording.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1122628#post1122628

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know Dr. Dave. When I spoke with 2 reps they told me it would be 2 HD and 1 SD but when I click the button on their site to check it's 1 HD and 2 SDs. Glad I happened on this site as I also have my laptop about 10 feet from my TV set. I wouldn't have been a happy camper seeing my D/L time struggling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts