Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Newbie questions

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Big_All 
#1 ·
Just a quick background first
I've been using a PC Mobile Samsung M300 pay as you go for about 8 or 10 months with the 5 dollar a month unlimited web browsing, even with Opera installed this phone still blows, but I don't talk or text much on it so $25 for 2 months service is pretty good if I only had a decent phone to browse from.

So my first question is - Is there some way to get a decent phone with a decent browser on to PC Mobile network? (they buy service from Bell)

If that won't work then plan B would be to attempt to setup service that would replace my Telus dial up internet service for my Mac laptop and PC Mobile cell service for less than double the current cost. I primarily use my dial-up for forum & blog reading and posting, web banking and daily downloading of podcast archives. If I could do my daily laptop stuff on a mobile device it would be a real blessing. Before you suggest an iPhone, Rogers service up here in the sticks of northern Alberta is sparse outside of the cities from what I hear. Service for PC (aka Bell) has been pretty decent.

So if plan A won't work what would you suggest for plan B?

Thank you for your patience.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just about pulled the trigger and bought a Telus Keybo, and would have done so assuming I can install whatever apps I want on it. Then I ran across this thread
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1415977&page=1&pp=15
Goodness gracious my M300 phone sucks but at least I didn't have to hack it to install Opera on it.
So with Telus do you have to go the "Smartphone" route to have control over what apps are in your phone and Pay the "Smartphone" rates as well, or do they fsck up the smartphones also?
Is this how Bell treats you as well?

Is it unusual for someone researching phone capabilities to get so frustrated they could punch a baby?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.