Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't know the LG well but I would assume it has a DVI-D connector. That cable has a DVI-A connector which isn't typically on HDTV's.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it recommended to use a VGA to DVI cable between a computer and a RPTV widescreen TV? Most RPTV's are analog, so I'm wondering if the quality of this connection would be worse than using VGA to Component in to the TV. Some people have suggested to me to not even bother using the DVI port on my TV seeing as it's an analog device.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Each situation is unique. It depends on the TV (and how the inputs are calibrated), the source component, etc. The only way to tell is to test both.

Frankly, I'd go with the simpler/cheaper solution, whichever one it is in your case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I borrowed a DVI cable from an LCD monitor and made a connection from a GeForce FX 5600 to my 45NZ60. The picture was very much better than using an S-video connection. However, I found the overscan to be unbearable. I was missing at least two inches of the picture on the top, bottom, and left side (can't see the "start" button), and no overscan on the right. Lowering my graphics card's resolution from 1920 X 1080 only made it worse. I'm in the middle of exchanging the LG for another one to see if it's any better.
Keep in touch Kevin. Maybe we can help eachother out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not running PowerStrip. This graphics card has "advanced timings," but due to the warnings that I shouldn't mess with them unless I'm a professional, I haven't tried them out. I'm concerned that I'll damage the TV! How does one become informed enough to mess with these settings?
Should I just try the trial version of PowerStrip and come back here for advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
BTW, I exchanged this TV because the picture wasn't centered. It was off to the left when viewing HDTV and using the DVI input, off to the right when using the "video out" from the STB (and "video in" on the TV). The option to center the picture is not available with this TV. I'm not paying 1500 bucks for an off-centre picture that can't even be manually centered. I'm getting the new TV tomorrow. I'll download PoverStrip, then we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely we can help eachother. but right now I still have no ota stb, cause no supplier in GTA. for my 45n60, I just tried to hook up to my laptop, ibm t23, with s-video cable. at 640*480, it is full screen on TV, at 800*600, the picture will be larger than screen, you can scroll the picture by moving mouse, so I think it is because s-video cable, it only support 400 lines sth. so I have to find another way to hook up.

JasonP32 said:
I borrowed a DVI cable from an LCD monitor and made a connection from a GeForce FX 5600 to my 45NZ60. The picture was very much better than using an S-video connection. However, I found the overscan to be unbearable. I was missing at least two inches of the picture on the top, bottom, and left side (can't see the "start" button), and no overscan on the right. Lowering my graphics card's resolution from 1920 X 1080 only made it worse. I'm in the middle of exchanging the LG for another one to see if it's any better.
Keep in touch Kevin. Maybe we can help eachother out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
kevintrue2004 said:
definitely we can help eachother. but right now I still have no ota stb, cause no supplier in GTA. for my 45n60, I just tried to hook up to my laptop, ibm t23, with s-video cable. at 640*480, it is full screen on TV, at 800*600, the picture will be larger than screen, you can scroll the picture by moving mouse, so I think it is because s-video cable, it only support 400 lines sth. so I have to find another way to hook up.

Did anyone decide what is the best option for this? I just got this TV and would like to hook up my pc to it. Shouldn't I be using DVI?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts