Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Rogers will give you an emphatic "YES" and want to charge you $4.99/mo for the SD box or $12.99/mo for the HD box but hear me out...

I know this is a newbie question. The reason I ask is that most new(er) TVs have digital tuners and two TVs I set up recently receive digital channels with no box whatsoever...

- my parents recently bought a 26" Samsung. The auto-tune process found about a dozen digital channels that they obviously weren't receiving before. This includes a few HD channels. The results seem to be spotty though, they don't receive the full gamut of digital or HD channels, just one or two here and there.

- I bought an older 26" Soyo from my brother and sister-in-law for use in the bedroom. Auto-tune again found digital channels, this time probably 20-30 or more. Unfortunately I can't see what they are, they forgot to bring over the remote.:rolleyes: I'll get it shortly. Just browsing through manually, the few upper digital channels I saw are all blank, so I'm not sure what it is I'm getting. Again it could be fairly random.

I should specify that I am paying for these channels, which should mean the analog bands the digital channels reside on aren't filtered out at the pole. I get the analog channels just fine without the box, of course.

I have a new Samsung LN46C630 coming next week and it would obviously be nice to get HD content on it. Rogers gets enough of my money already ($175/month for cable, phone and wireless) and I really don't want to give them more. I know I'll have to pay more for HD but does that include the box?

I suspect once I sign up for HD, the box and the $12.99 monthly rental fee comes with it and it's non-negotiable.

But I figured I'd ask!

Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
With newer HDTV's with ATSC tuners built in, and depending on your location, you may receive some OTA (over-the-air) stations, and the HD reception quality will be very good - some say better than cable. Otherwise to receive HD channels, you need an HD capable settop box. I'm surprised you are still getting analog cable channels, as I thought Roger's had phased those out perhaps you are 'grandfathered'...I am with Videotron and analog service only is still offered. Summarizng for HD, it is either OTA (and free) or through an HD capable STB (SA8000 series), which you can rent or buy.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Answered many many times.

You need a digital cable set top box and a digital cable subscription package in order to receive digital cable channels. The QAM tuner in your television can only tune into non-encrypted digital cable signals.

For more information search on QAM in the search engine and you'll find many posts including this one very helpful one from 57

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.