Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, i'm glad i found this forum cause the manual of my yamaha received ain't really helpfull and i'm sure you guys know alot more then i....

So i bought this receiver for my small appartement living room. it's around 15x15 maybe more.

I'd like to understand it better to use it to its full potential. Is there any faq guide for that receiver? otherwise could anyone lighten me up on these things. I'm mainly using my ps3 as a bluray reader with an hdmi cable.

-If i want to listen to a movie in 5.1, what mode should i be on? i know there's a quick acces to "2 ch stereo, 7ch stereo, 7ch encheancer"... why always 7 channel while the receiver is 5.1?
-My floors speakers have better sound then anything else in the systemm (klipsch rf-62), how can i use them more then anything else even in 5.1 (can i get them to play the center channel at the same time?)
-Any "nightime watching mode" on it? so movie with alot of dynamics won't be Loud as fock in action scene and quiet in dialogue (that's what bothering me the most....)
-how the yapoa system? i understand that with my best speakers in fr/fl i better put it to front before the mic testing
-what's the sub/front crossover usually on a ht setup? if i set it to both (both play bass) how does it works with the crossover? my subs is a focal 33kx, it can play pretty high and i want my fr/fl to play down low with the sub cause i'm often shutting it.....

that's it for now, i'll probably have more question latter then... i feel newb alot.... i know alot more in car audio.... but i'm gladly starting to invest some money on ht....

oh and i'm also always listening to movies in french (hence the bad writting here ;) ), how does the dubbing affect the overall sound quality beside the fact that most of the time it's not true hd, of dts...

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
-If i want to listen to a movie in 5.1, what mode should i be on? i know there's a quick acces to "2 ch stereo, 7ch stereo, 7ch encheancer"... why always 7 channel while the receiver is 5.1?
Set audio processing in the receiver to "Auto" (and your Blu-ray player / PS3 to output 5.1 audio) and your receiver will play 5.1. The other modes are optional. If you have a 7.1 set-up, you can "expand" 5.1 audio (or stereo audio) to use all 7.1 speakers.

-My floors speakers have better sound then anything else in the systemm (klipsch rf-62), how can i use them more then anything else even in 5.1 (can i get them to play the center channel at the same time?)
In the speaker set-up menu, set the center channel speaker to "none" and the audio that would normally go to a center channel speaker will be re-directed to your main speakers.

-Any "nightime watching mode" on it? so movie with alot of dynamics won't be Loud as fock in action scene and quiet in dialogue (that's what bothering me the most....)
I took a quick look at the Yamaha website and I don't see anything like that for your receiver.

- how the yapoa system? i understand that with my best speakers in fr/fl i better put it to front before the mic testing
Your owner's manual should have step-by-step information on how to run the YPAO auto-calibration.

-what's the sub/front crossover usually on a ht setup? if i set it to both (both play bass) how does it works with the crossover? my subs is a focal 33kx, it can play pretty high and i want my fr/fl to play down low with the sub cause i'm often shutting it.....
I believe "both" sends the bass below the crossover to both the main speakers AND the subwoofer. (The low-frequency effects (LFE) continue to be sent only to the subwoofer.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for these infos, the center channel thing did work... till i can afford to buy the klipsh rs' one.

does "standard" in the movie preset eq sound like "auto"? also what's up with the "straight" or direct thing? in direct, the sound is kinda muffle they seems to say in the manual that the av doesn't process in direct, it just send the signal flat without any crossover or attenuation from the yapao process?

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
does "standard" in the movie preset eq sound like "auto"?
The "auto" I was referring to is the way the receiver presents the audio signal that was sent to it - if you send it 5.1, it will play 5.1; if you send it stereo, it will play stereo. Other modes (such as PLIIX, etc.) will "expand" the incoming audio signal. This has nothing to do with any of the equalization functions.

also what's up with the "straight" or direct thing? in direct, the sound is kinda muffle they seems to say in the manual that the av doesn't process in direct, it just send the signal flat without any crossover or attenuation from the yapao process?
On my Marantz, "straight" bypasses most of the audio processing but leaves intact things like the bass management functionality. "Direct" (or "Pure Direct"), on the other hand, bypasses ALL of the audio processing - what comes out of the receiver is exactly what was sent into the receiver.

YPAO (Yamaha Professional Room Acoustic Optimizer).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts