Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? I have a SC dish with what I believe is a quad lnb. I also have a single Fortec 2700 ku lnb along with a 36'' dish. I live in nova scotia and can get good signal on all the sats with a finder. I've tried all the different settings on the receiver but only seem to be able to get quality on the c band sats with other dish setups. I'd appreciate any help.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I've tried all the different settings on the receiver but only seem to be able to get quality on the c band sats with other dish setups
Not familiar with ur receiver at all, but when u say can only get quality on C-Band Sats, is that using the same 36 " Antenna and same receiever?
Seems hard to believe u'd get C-Band on such a small antenna and not Ku Band. Perhaps you might have some Band Switching issues? How do you switch Frequency Bands? How many Coax cables enter the home?
If one Coax for each frequency band, perhaps you have a bad Coax cable in ur system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it's hard to believe but the 36'' dish is pointed at the ground and gets 80-90% on 121w. 2 cables in the house_ both good. I haven't tried the 36'' dish with the ku lnb yet. I get SC with the SC receiver but can't get it with the CS. In dish installations I've tried everything. I've looked for the switch in settings but can't find the band switching method I assume it's automatic in the CS. It must be there I'll look some more. Thanks MT

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I don't know what you mean band switching, a StarChoice dish dosn't have it.

A Quad SC LNB uses a 10750 LO (which an FTA receiver should have a setting for), voltage switching for polarity, and tone switching for satellite (no tone 107.3, tone for 111).

Also, you set the dish for a quality signal on the receiver, not strength. IME strength may slightly dip as you lock onto a signal, if your tuner is set for a valid signal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you confusing signal strength with signal quality by any chance?

Signal strength is the communication between the LNB and the receiver and not the LNB to the satellite (signal quality).

You won't pick up SC (or shaw direct) with a Coolsat. That provider uses Digicipher II which your Coolsat does not recognize. Also all channels are encrypted.

You would need to connect your 36" dish and KU lnb to the coolsat. Then I would attempt to aim at 97 degrees west. There are many hot TPs on that sat 24/7. This will get you aimed in the arc and from there you can choose the sat you actually want to point the dish at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think your right. I assumed because I had such good quality on DN 121 that I would get even better quality on 97w because of the higher elevation but there are more obstacles in that direction. I'm going to experiment some more with the 36'' from different angles on my property. I have a 10footer but am reluctant to set it up right now. Thanks for all the help I'll get back to you if things improve.;)

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
I think you are confusing C band with circular polarization on KU band. If you are using the Invacom quad polar or similar type LNBF, it has 4 outputs, 2 marked L and 2 marked C. L stands for linear polarization and C stands for circular polarization (not C band).

In North America, circular polarization on KU band is only used on Echostar and Nimiq satellites but these don't have any FTA channels. You should be using the L output as you are trying to receive linear polarization satellites. Unlike circular polarization, LNBF skew does matter with linear polarization so you need to twist the LNBF on the holder to the correct position based on the satellite you wish to receive.

In order to receive C band, you need to use your 10 foot dish. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the clarification I did think c band and circular polarization where the same. I have a eagle aspen 2700ku dual output input freq 11.7-12.2 ghz output 950-1450 mhz with skew 0-60 and a star choice dual sat quad output switchable ku lnbf with 11.7-12.2ghz 950-1450mhz nonstacked linear polarization vertical 10-15v horizontal 16-20v with skew on the dish. Are either of any use to me or could I get something better?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Newer ones would work better, but what you have should work fine. Both are linear Ku 10750 LO LNBFs.

I should say, for the SC quad, that the "middle" LNBF is tone on, meant to get 111, and the "side" is tone off, meant to get 107.3.

What I would do is set the Starchoice dish and quad LNBF for the satellite at 101W, and with that, should be able to get 97W in place of 107.3. Set your CS receiver for the 12090 transponder on G19 (might be called T5 or G25).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts