Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need some help to improve my OTA reception.

I am located south of Montreal (Longueil, QC).

This is my TVFool report:

And this is what I did so far:

- I installed the RCA751 antenna in the attic (about 25ft hight). Using RG6 coaxial cable I connected the antenna to a HDHomerun SiliconDust Duo. Then the Silicondust device is connected to my home router using EOP adapters (Ethernet over power adapters).
And from there I am able to see the TV channels on all devices in my house.
So far I am able to capture 27-28 channels.

The RCA751 antenna is pointed to 170 degrees, towers Mt Mansfield tower from Vermont.
As you can see in the table below, even if the Signal Qulaity is sometimes close to 100%, the quality of the image on my TV is very bad on some channels,there is a lot of pixelation.
I noticed this mostly on my local channels (CBC, CTV, TVA etc) , the ones which are close to my antenna. But also I have pixelation on some US channels.
I attached here an excel file with my reception results.

• I tried replacing the RCA751 antenna with a DigiWave ANT-2086 (8 bay antenna). The reception results are worse.
  • with RCA751 antenna I tried to use a signal booster, Winegard LNA-200 with no positive results. In fact when I use the signal booster the results are worse.
  • also I tried to connect both antennas using a DIGIWAVE 2WAY signal combiner, but the reception results didnt improve at all.
The length of the coaxial cable is about 20ft. I tried replacing the cable already.

I dont understand how come with Signal Quality close to 100%, the quality of the image on my TV is so bad. That happens on channels 2.1, 3.1, 6.1, 10.1 etc.

What can I do to improve my reception ?

Thank you kindly!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Hi guys,

I need some help to improve my OTA reception.

I am located south of Montreal (Longueil, QC).

This is my TVFool report:
Hello, IntelQC; welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the signal report and additional information.

Here is a signal report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels because TVFool is using a defective database to generate reports. It is based on the location used in your TVFool report for your postal code which is centered on Parc Raymond-Comeau, which might be different than your actual location:
RabbitEars.Info

IntelQCshcPostalJ3Y0L1_1.jpg

IntelQCdhcMap.JPG

IntelQCdhcReception_Results.jpg

IntelQCdhcReportRE2.jpg

With such strong local signals, overload is a possibility, which might explain why more antenna gain or a preamp didn't help.

I would think that the symbol quality would be less than 100% if you have pixellation.

Since you live near an airport, reflections off aircraft are a possibiity.

The last thing I suspect is your EOP adapter. What happens if you connect your antenna directly to a TV tuner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rabbit73,

Thank you for the reply.
I didn't try yet to plug the coaxial cable directly to a TV tunner. I will do that next week when I will have time to go back in the attic, install a longer coaxial cable and do the testing.
Regarding the reflections off aircraft, I don't think it's the case here. I am about 6-7kms away from the airport, when you look on the map.
You can see on the file attached my approximate location.
I attached also some print screens which shows pixelation on channel 2.1 (SRC) even with 100% Signal Quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Confused why your spreadsheet, reception results, has different stats for the following stations as an example.
WCAX 3.1 thru 3.5 at any moment in time should have the exact same reception stats.
Why? because they are all on the same frequency.
Any station that has multiple channels on the same mux should have identical reception stats.

Of course being a hdhomerun user, I am sure you DO know that your problems could have nothing to do with your antennas and everything to do with your Local Network?
Or a combination of the two...
Generally speaking, Ethernet should always work, while wifi connections are subject to the bandwidth restrictions that the wifi air interface can handle at any given time. eg is subject to change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you tell us what device you are using to serve signals to the TV; Roku, Android box, PC etc.?
rabbit73 and majortom have are pointing you in the right direction. As well as trying a direct coax connection, if there is a way to remove the powerline adapters and direct wire the HDHR to your router and your router to your device that would be another good test.
One thing that is different in, say, 3.1 through 3.5 is that 3.1 is HD while the rest are SD. Maybe pointing to the network as the issue, HD being denser data than SD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell us what device you are using to serve signals to the TV; Roku, Android box, PC etc.?
rabbit73 and majortom have are pointing you in the right direction. As well as trying a direct coax connection, if there is a way to remove the powerline adapters and direct wire the HDHR to your router and your router to your device that would be another good test.
One thing that is different in, say, 3.1 through 3.5 is that 3.1 is HD while the rest are SD. Maybe pointing to the network as the issue, HD being denser data than SD.
I have the same pixellation problem on multiple platforms:
  • one TCL Roku TV
  • second TV is getting signal from an Android Mi Box (HDhomerun is installed on Mi Box)
  • two Windows laptops
  • Android phones
They are all WiFi connected.
One other thing I noticed, if I use an indoor TV antenna attached directly to the TVs I get good reception for few local TV stations (2.1, 6.1, 10.1, 12.1, 35.1, 62.1), no pixellation.

Regarding my local network, I will do another test. I have multiple WiFi surveillance camera which might cause network congestion. I will try to turn them off and see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Regarding my local network, I will do another test. I have multiple WiFi surveillance camera which might cause network congestion. I will try to turn them off and see if there is any difference.
If congestion turns out to be the case, this might be a good opportunity to learn/apply some networking - put the surveillance system on its own subnet, and the HdHomerun tuners on their own as well. You may also need a new router/server to handle the traffic- 2HD tuners relaying data (20MBps?) plus however many cameras at their resolution (720? That’s 3-5 Mbps each) can add up to tax your router fairly quickly before phones/tablets/laptops/ desktops, IoT devices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a test without the EOP adapters and there is no more pixellation. All channels are OK as they should, including all the local HD channels.
Also if I turn off all surveillance cameras (but I keep the EOP adapters) I still have pixellation. So it was not a network congestion caused by cameras.
The problem is caused by the EOP adapters.
Which I dont really know how to solve. There is no way to run an ethernet cable or coaxial cable in my house (different floors, too many walls to go through etc)

The EOP adapter is supposed to handle easily the traffic, its rated speed is 500Mbps. It's a TP-Link TL-PA4010.
Should I try with a gigabit EOP adapter?

Thank you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would try a gb adapter if it was returnable. The issue with powerline is hopping over breakers to another circuit. You lose a lot of speed doing that. Also, electric circuits can be noisy with, say, microwaves, flourescent or led lights etc. Can you try a good mesh network router and cable the hdhr to one of the satellites?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Personally, I would scrap the whole setup.
Put your antennas outside up on the roof, run your downlead coax down the side of the house and in to the basement. Put your hdhomerun down there, and connect it to some real ethernet. Problem solved.
But hurry up, winter is only a couple months away.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I would scrap the current EOP (powerline) adapters. There are lots of choices in powerline adapters and some are much better due to recent advancements in technology. There are also lots of online reviews to be found by searching "best powerline adapters 2020." Look for recent reviews that perform and publish actual lab measurements. Get at least a "gigabit" model. Powerline can sometimes be tweaked by making adjustments in the power panel. Placing both of the adapters on the same phase will usually provide better results. (Get an electrician to do this if not experienced in house wiring.)

Another option would be to use a router configured in wireless repeater mode. Use a model rated at at least AC1750. This may have the side effect of working as a wireless access point or wireless extender. (Dedicated wireless extenders are also available but typically don't perform as well as a good router.)

Mesh was mentioned. That needs to be a highly rated mesh system or pair of compatible mesh routers. It also needs to support a wired connection at the HDHomeRun. That can get expensive.

Yet another option would be to link a pair of identical routers that support linking. Again, that can get expensive but provides the best point to point wireless option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved!
I replaced the EOP adapter with a Linksys WiFi repeater which had an Ethernet port.
All 28 channels are playing fine, no more pixellation.
Hopefully, as the winter is coming and there will be no more leafs and the signal quality improves I will be able to get 32 channels.
Thanks a lot guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts