Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing back my recordings of various New Year Eve party shows on TV from last night. Wow that's quite a few: 3.5hrs from ABC (NYC), 1.5hrs from FOX (Vegas), 3hrs from NBC (NYC and Seattle), 2hrs from Global (Niagara), 2hrs from CityTV (Toronto).

Surprised no CBS party (that plus they let go the prominent guys on their Early Show recently... is CBS not doing well lately?)

ABC got the best location as their studio is the closest to "the ball" than NBC's Rockerfeller (sp?) Center and they got the better show as well IMO. Good that Dick Clark was not talking as much this year. Man, that guy looks like he's too old to move.

NYC must've spent a lot in security. Well, OTOH they don't spend as much on fireworks than Seattle, Niagara, or Toronto.

To be honest, I don't know any of the musicians on the CityTV party, but the black lady singer Divine Brown was pretty good.

At Global's Niagara party, when Barenaked Ladies sang "One Week", there was a girl in the crowd sitting up on shoulders and seemed like she was flashing to the Barenaked Ladies (how ironic) on the stage. Too bad the camera got switched out as she reached for her top. There was a much farther camera shot of the crowd which seemed to show the girl with her breasts uncovered but with that far of a shot even HD didn't help. Was any of you at the party? If so did you see/hear anything?

BTW, Happy New Year! Hope you all had a great New Year Eve/Day and wish this year is going to be better than the last!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I watched a few of those shows too. Apart from Great Big Sea and BNL , I didn't know any of the musicians. I'm getting old I guess !

Overall , I thought the shows were quite lame.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was surprised that NTV out of the Maritimes didn't carry New Years this year for the first time in years. As far as a know they were the only channel in Canada to carry unique local new years programming as opposed to the canned time-delayed stuff carried by the CDN networks (from Toronto and Niagra). Too bad... we always enjoyed watching from Winnipeg on satellite. I know its cost prohibitive, but would be nice to see more local coverage from across the nation, or perhaps rotate the sites year to year.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
'A' Atlantic (formerly ASN) has also carried a New Year's Eve show for many years. I don't have a clue if they had one this year or not.

I thought the Global show was good. I watched all of it. Even worse than it being time delayed is living in the Maritimes where at 11:00pm ET they went to local news without even mentioning that it was now 2011 here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts