Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was all set to buy the Yamaha RX-V2500, but I saw a thread on the ecoustics forums that mentioned a new one... Lo and behold, it is already on the Yamaha Canada web site:

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/RXV4600B.jsp#features

Notable additions to the already solid 2500 are HDMI (two in, one out) with upconversion capability, Firewire (two ports) and front panel multi-zone controls.

MRSP (US?) is 1899$.

Should be available in June... Just in time for me to move into the new house...

Jeeps

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If the pricing is what you stated then it is the cheapest receiver I have seen with HDMI. I'm sure throughout the year and into next year there will be more models with more inputs but awesome to see.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just bought the rx-v 2500 yesterday for $997 before taxes and with component cables and digital toslink cable I get great picture and sound on my Hitachi 57t500. Is one with HDMI hookups going to be much better? Considering the cost of $1800 US , about $2300 CAN. Are the two HDMI hookups worth a cost of $650 each just to get an easier hookup (only one wire)? Because I doubt that the picture quality or sound quality will differ much from the non HDMI rx-v2500 using a good quality component and digital toslink. The rx-v2500 will be selling out at a good price and imo probally just as good for a lot less or am I missing something. (saving $1300 before taxes)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well HD DVD which will be coming soon will require a HDMI port for full capability of the technology. It is a lot more than just having everything on one wire.

I am not going to say how much it is worth. I have one HDMI port on my TV and when a quality receiver comes out with 3 or more inputs I will be upgrading my receiver. I am looking to pay no more than $1200 though. This may take another year or possibly less.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
They look good if you need something right away. I would still prefer to have it built into receiver. Less wires and a little more robust setup.

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AV Receiver with HDMI or switch????

My contractor is wrapping up my new media room (18 x 18ft) I pulled wiring myself and put in HDMI to my new Ben Q 7700 projector- new DVD and new HD Direct cable box are HDMI also- after spending way to much time trying to figure out the bugs that HDMI has and the lack of answers from the mfg's, instead of going HDMI through the receiver and getting stuck with a $1K AV receiver that is not supported/code upgradeable in the next year or two when HDMI 1.3 or next revision, and or getting stuck on digital audio issues or Directv new format not being supported etc etc etc, I am thinking get the best receiver for the $$ and buy a $200 HDMI switch keep my video signal digital and I can replace as becomes obsolete. Other than needing to change audio and video souce (learning remote with macros can handle) anyone have any feedback good idea? Are you having the same concerns/issues regarding lack HDMI components working together or HDMI standard supported by cable companies etc?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I took a quick look at the user manual of this Yamaha A/V Reciever and it brings a question to my mind.

If I read it right, and I don't always do that, it doesn't support decoding of any of the new digital formats offered by the new HD players. If that is correct, then this receiver will have to receive down converted digital audio signals from a HD player or it will have to be connected by analog audio connections and have the HD player doing the D/A conversion. People interested in accessing the new digital audio formats in an easy and convenient manner would not find it with this receiver. In fact, does any A/V receiver currently on the market, or coming on the market in the near future, support the new digital audio formats through a digital audio connection? I assume if it does support them it will only be through HDMI connections.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Alan Bealby,

Using HDMI to an a/v receiver, with a Toshiba HD DVD, the HD DVD player's DACs do the decoding for DD Plus, DD TrueHD and DTS-HD.

As for the Sony BR player, the DACs for the new codecs will only be enabled when an HDMI version 1.3 becomes available. Not sure if that means a version 1.3 for the receiver as well...

Therefore, I question the need to have a costly receiver without either the new codecs or an HDMI version 1.3.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mfabien said:
Therefore, I question the need to have a costly receiver without either the new codecs or an HDMI version 1.3.
Exactly: Investing big $$$ in receivers for video switching is the guaranteed road to being obsolete in a hurry at this time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the feedback, as far as video the Denon 2807 will go up to 1080P but it appears correct- no AV rec with HDMI supports HD. it is amazing I am having the same challenge with HD DVD players no clear direction, could be an expensive mistake.

MFAbien- I just received my PSB 12 Sub, have not had a chance to listen to yet (hiding it from my sig other its huge!) how do you like yours?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
kejp42 said:
Thank you for the feedback, as far as video the Denon 2807 will go up to 1080P but it appears correct- no AV rec with HDMI supports HD. it is amazing I am having the same challenge with HD DVD players no clear direction, could be an expensive mistake.

MFAbien- I just received my PSB 12 Sub, have not had a chance to listen to yet (hiding it from my sig other its huge!) how do you like yours?
It is, without a doubt, the most precious audio acquisition I ever made. With my sub level in my a/v set at -5 dB, the sub's amp Gain is set at 12 o'clock (I have a big room). Don't be afraid to try it out at various Gain level. You won't hurt it.

As for HD DVD player, the player will transmit DD Plus, DD TrueHD (in stereo) and DTS-HD (core) over HDMI (need an a/v with HDMI in and out) or 5.1 analog outputs to your a/v (any a/v with analog inputs). That is a given.

What remains to be clarified is whether DD TrueHD in 5.1 and complete lossless DTS-HD will be the object of a software update by Toshiba. Many think that is the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello - my first posting.

I was reading the brochure on the Yamaha Canada site, and according to the literature it says the following for the V1600B - is this not what the more expensive model is promising? Any advice is great:

HDMI Interface
The RX-V1600 offers 2 in / 1 out
HDMI switching with analog video
up-conversion features, providing the most
advanced method of delivering high quality
video signals to a home theater system to
enable the reproduction of DVD and satellite TV
sources with HD quality. Compatible with the
HDMI Ver. 1.1 format, it can also decode digital
audio signals from sources such as DVD-Audio,
CD, Dolby Digital and DTS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts