Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much it would cost to buy a new win xp licence these days ? I called couple of places in GTA. One costs around $200, and the other place is $60.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My favourite shop has WIN XP with SP2 for $90

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hugh.
Shouldn't it be sp3 now ? Can you tell me where ?
The reason I asked is that I was told there are pirated version floating around. I suspect the store that sells for $60 might be illegal copy.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
AFAIK, XP cannot still be sold legally. There might be some retail copies still in stock and system builders might still install it if asked. MS withdrew XP from the market some time ago. Full product support also ended earlier this year. That means that no new products or features are available. (IE9 for example.) Extended support will end in 2014. That means no more updates of any kind, not even security updates. It doesn't make sense to purchase an XP license at this time. Windows 7 Home Premium is the best bet.

That SP2 version is likely very old stock. SP3 can be downloaded from the MS site. I would download the full version of SP3 and burn it to CD to install it offline. Another option is to create a "slipstreamed XP3 disc."

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
One of the win7 versions includes a winxp downgrade license free of charge.
I think it's Pro.. not sure offhand.
All you do is call up MS, say you have win7 and want to use the xp downgrade and they'll give you a key.
(note that you can't use win7 and xp simultaneously)

Then when you're ready to move to 7, you can just install it as you would as you already own a license for it.

Any reason you still want XP in 2010?
Win7 works very well, and I was an avid vista-resister.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Add my vote to the Windows 7 over XP due to the support reasons mentioned already. I am quite sure it is Win7 Pro that has downgrade licences because it is usually corporations that want to downgrade to keep their OS the same across all their PCs. Downgrade licences will no longer be available upon the release of Win7 SP1 which is currently in the works. I only know this because when I bought my laptop downgrade XP was an option and I looked into the possiblity of dual boot. I found out, like others have said, you can only have either XP or Win7 installed, not both. The XP Virtual Machine is like running XP on your PC if you really need it.

Retailers can continue selling any stock they have of XP until the run out AFAIK. I have seen it around but can't remember pricing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the replies.
I have a P4 desk top with Win XP pro os currently. Thought of getting a laptop and setup a wireless network at home. I use most of the time just surfing internet, email and a little bit of digital picture editing from programs came with my camera. I had run the Win 7 compatability test from Microsoft. It turned out most of my softwares and my scanner will not work. Therefore, a laptop with xp will do the trick.
I am checking out another option, if it is not too expensive. Dual boot with Win 7 and XP. Seems to be perfect for me. However, I will need somebody to do the setup.
Right now, 99% of the new laptops came with Win 7 home premium. They are reasonably priced. Found a few with Win 7 pro that can be downgraded to Xp, but I can choose one os only. Also, they are a bit more expensive. Therefore, I am looking for a xp license. I found out that place sells for $200, it is in retail box. The one sells for $60+ is OEM version. And, of course will need to find somebody to set it up for me. Do you guys know any place that can perform this service ?
By the way, I do not think you can get the Win XP key if you get a computer with Win 7 home premium. You probably need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
FYI, I have Windows Professional Edition. As noted, you can create a Win XP machine that can run all your legacy apps, using legacy drivers. I would recommend that instead.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hugh. I know that Win 7 Pro can run 'virture PC' in xp mode. Have you tried to run programs in this ? What is the performance like ?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My experience is limited. I set it up on my machine and ran a few programs without a problem. I didn't notice the fact that I was in a virtual machine. I was running standard desktop programs (word, excel etc.).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts