Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new TV for my 93 yr old mom-in-law for her room. Currently, they have a big screen LCD with full HD Shaw cable package in the family room, but she can't or won't watch it because of the 3 different remotes that she has to figure out.
Is their some way to buy a stand-alone digital TV to replace her broken analog TV, and some way to simplify the on/off, channels to a single control.
I'm thinking about a 32" TV on her room wall, and getting rid of the analog TV cart.

If you get a TV with ATSC/NTSC/QAM, can you do without the Shaw box?
Can you get a TV without a tuner and control everything thing through the Shaw box?

I gave up myself and went OTA at my own home.
:confused:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If they still offer analog cable in your mom-in-laws area, then you can simply plug the cable into the back of the television and she can use the television with just one remote but she'll only be able to watch the analog stations. I did this for my mom.

If she wants digital stations then she will need a set top box.

In addition, you should be able to program the Shaw Remote to turn the tv off and on and use the Shaw remote to change the channels on the set top box which would leave you with just one remote.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts