Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
I would agree with a 5K budget you should start fresh, technology has changed alot. As well for 5K you can build a pretty solid HT system. I'd also say don't listen to Cambo saying its your first HT your spending too much that couldn't be further from the truth.

As with everything in life you get what you pay for and for an entire HT I'd say your looking at a top end entry level system for 5K.

Display - Flatscreen LCD or Plasma depending on your room size and sitting position your looking at between 42" - 60" Recommended brands (Sony, Samsung for LCD / Panasonic for Plasma)

Blu Ray player - Great suggestion ejay on the oppo but you can probably look at the Panasonic Blu Ray players and save a couple hundred and still get an outstanding picture. The Oppo is the Cadillac but since your starting fresh you can use that money elsewhere and Blu Ray players are easily upgraded.

Speakers: There are lots of Great brands available for speakers but I'll echo some others here and suggest Paradigm as its a Canadian company that produces some great speakers and your dollar goes further since your not buying an import. Find a local dealer and go have a listen, You have to decide if your going for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Once that decision is made weight your budget more to the speakers than anything else since a good speaker will last you 20 years all the electronics on this list will last 5-7.

Reciever: I'd look for a solid piece in the $600 range like the Yamaha HTR5063 it will future proof you a bit, Yamaha has a good name and great sounding pieces it has all the modern features you would need to stay current for some time. Its also not out of this world priced so you could upgrade this part of your system over time and not feel like your losing much money. The surround processor part of HT is the money eater as this is the item that goes out of date the fastest and outside of the speakers makes the biggest difference in sound.

Cables: You don't need to blow a fortune on Monster cables etc.. you can find great deals at Monoprice or Blue jeans cables but this is just a heads up that you need to include this in your budget. Speaker wire, HDMI, Cat5 (Depends what your doing) this all adds up and is usually forgotten then all of a sudden your over budget a couple hundred bucks.

Install: Pay the price and have a guy do a system setup and calibration don't spend the bucks and not have someone professional tune it for you.

Roughly I broke down your budget like this:

$1350 - TV (Checked future shop you have options up to 54")
$200 - Blue ray player
$600 - Receiver specifically the Yamaha I listed above comes in at $599.00
$200 - Cables & Wire
$200 - Install
$2000 - Speakers & Sub (Paradigm)

This budget would bring you at $4550 with tax Roughly 5K with no Suprises or gotcha's

It also would be a more modern system than what your looking at, ejay also showed that if your willing to hunt on the used market you can find some deals but I'd personally just use the used market for Speakers since there pretty bullet proof.

· Registered
96 Posts
I would agree with a 5K budget you should start fresh, technology has changed alot. As well for 5K you can build a pretty solid HT system. I'd also say don't listen to Cambo saying its your first HT your spending too much that couldn't be further from the truth.

As with everything in life you get what you pay for and for an entire HT I'd say your looking at a top end entry level system for 5K.

Display - Flatscreen LCD or Plasma depending on your room size and sitting position your looking at between 42" - 60" Recommended brands (Sony, Samsung for LCD / Panasonic for Plasma)

Blu Ray player - Great suggestion ejay on the oppo but you can probably look at the Panasonic Blu Ray players and save a couple hundred and still get an outstanding picture. The Oppo is the Cadillac but since your starting fresh you can use that money elsewhere and Blu Ray players are easily upgraded.

Speakers: There are lots of Great brands available for speakers but I'll echo some others here and suggest Paradigm as its a Canadian company that produces some great speakers and your dollar goes further since your not buying an import. Find a local dealer and go have a listen, You have to decide if your going for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Once that decision is made weight your budget more to the speakers than anything else since a good speaker will last you 20 years all the electronics on this list will last 5-7.

Reciever: I'd look for a solid piece in the $600 range like the Yamaha HTR5063 it will future proof you a bit, Yamaha has a good name and great sounding pieces it has all the modern features you would need to stay current for some time. Its also not out of this world priced so you could upgrade this part of your system over time and not feel like your losing much money. The surround processor part of HT is the money eater as this is the item that goes out of date the fastest and outside of the speakers makes the biggest difference in sound.

Cables: You don't need to blow a fortune on Monster cables etc.. you can find great deals at Monoprice or Blue jeans cables but this is just a heads up that you need to include this in your budget. Speaker wire, HDMI, Cat5 (Depends what your doing) this all adds up and is usually forgotten then all of a sudden your over budget a couple hundred bucks.

Install: Pay the price and have a guy do a system setup and calibration don't spend the bucks and not have someone professional tune it for you.

Roughly I broke down your budget like this:

$1350 - TV (Checked future shop you have options up to 54")
$200 - Blue ray player
$600 - Receiver specifically the Yamaha I listed above comes in at $599.00
$200 - Cables & Wire
$200 - Install
$2000 - Speakers & Sub (Paradigm)

This budget would bring you at $4550 with tax Roughly 5K with no Suprises or gotcha's

It also would be a more modern system than what your looking at, ejay also showed that if your willing to hunt on the used market you can find some deals but I'd personally just use the used market for Speakers since there pretty bullet proof.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.