Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
If this is your first home theater setup, $5000 is far, far too much.

THX is nice, however unless you specifically built a THX-certified room, you're wasting your money. It's like spending $2000 on a car stereo when the car itself is only worth $200.

I don't know anyone that owns and appreciates THX due to the cost of the gear, and the modifications you need to make to the room (acoustically). You don't need to spend that kind of money to have a system that sounds good to you, especially if it's your first. The only expensive part of my system is the receiver, and it sounds absolutely great to me.

· Registered
397 Posts
Thanks eX, for misinterpreting what I'm saying.

What I am suggesting, is that while spending $2000 on a set of speakers is reasonable for some, you don't usually learn to drive on a Mercedes Benz.

The point was, you need to audition them- don't simply buy because it's expensive or has a great name. Sit in the room for a while, and audition other makes/price ranges.

Personally, I can't justify spending a lot of money on a component simply because of the name. I need to hear and decide based on what my ears tell me. If a 100$ pair sounds better to me than a 5000$ pair, I'll buy the $100 (extreme example for the point).

$5000 on an aged system- and being the first, IS a lot of money. There's no warranty on the TV, no warranty on the receiver, and if it's baffed you're SOL as you can't return it. Electronics, like many other things, don't hold value after they've been used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.