Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, just signed up to the forum and was wondering if anybody could tell me what kind of satellite and reciever i need for lots of channels.
i remember back in the day my cousin had a reciever that he put a card in and got alot of channels for free. is there anything like this available now.
i couldn't find the right section for this question so i put it in this one.
thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are willing to spend a little cash you could set up an account with Shaw Direct. I would not recommend subscribing to Bell TV (formerly Expressvu) because they have inferior picture quality and customer service and they're packages usually cost more.

Couple quick questions:

What TV provider do you have now?

Do you want HD?

Does a PVR interest you?

What type of programming are you most interested in?

Where are you located (BC, Quebec, etc.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
just remember nothings free. not even fta.....no monthly bills....... but not free.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
back in the day my cousin had a reciever that he put a card in and got alot of channels for free.
Either way, those days are gone. That applies to wide open days of satellite piracy (which is not discussed here) and the days of abundant free FTA. FTA is still available to some extent but it's not as easy as just plugging in a card. Check out the FTA section for information on that. With a little ingenuity (and some donated or used equipment) it can turn into an interesting hobby.

Another option is OTA, which is undergoing a revival due to digital TV. There is an OTA section here with information on building your own antennas, other DIY info and reception results for many areas.

For domestic pay services, check out the Shaw Direct satellite section for the Ontario Value Package or an applicable value package in your area. It's probably the best deal right now. Receivers are available for a very good price (after credits) and the monthly rate is quite reasonable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts