Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to take a minute, and say. I have read alot of threads in here. Quiet impressive. I have a couple of concerns. I am a starchoice viewer. I have the standard reciever. I want a pvr. Any ways.. What my question is. If i hook up a external harddrive, to my reciever. Will it become a pvr? there is a usb port at the back of machine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The USB ports on all the Shaw Direct receivers are not available to be used with an external PVR. The new 605 and 630 receivers may have this feature in the future via the eSata port on the back. Currently only the 530 and 630 receivers can be used as a PVR which utilizes an internal hard drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOO HOO, finally kicked the Bell bucket. Switched to SD.
Been a loyal Customer to Bell for 10+ years. even after all the increase in prices and meh equiptment.
What finally did it u ask? UBB. I am not a heavy user, but I am considering using Netflix, which would then turn me into a heavy user. My ISP is a third party and told me that with the UBB, Bell would bill me directly for any and all overages, even though I dont have service with them (my ISP uses their backbone). Kiss my what??? I said. I did not sign a contract with Bell, I signed one with my ISP.
So, I figured, what would hurt them the most? hit them in the pocket book! if Bell is going to try and take more money from me, then i am going to take my money back.
Bell you should learn that customers are what generate your pay checks and are only going to hurt yourselves if you don't listen to them.
Even the Bell rep that took my cancellation really didn't try to keep me as a customer (offered me 10 then 20 dollars off my bill per month) as soon as I said UBB you could hear the sigh. He even understood where I was coming from and all but agreed with me (he did, but didnt want to say anything over the recorded lines).
Anyways, Bell can stuff it.
even my brother is cancelling his cell phone service with them to show support and to speak out against the UBB.
Come on Peeps! lets give Bell the message that they can stay out of our pocket books and learn that the customer is right on this one!

So, why does Shaw have the e-sata enabled on its cable boxes and not on its SD lineup? is the 605 worth waiting for the external hdd capability? I am looking at picking up the 630 and the 605 for the bedroom but need the possibility of pvr for the bedroom.
also picking up a slightly used 207 for 25 bucks, is it worth it? I noticed that BB has the new 209 for 50 bucks. is it worth the extra 25?

Thanks all in advance.

Zippy

·
Registered
245 Posts
+1 zippyslow

I ditched Bell ExpressVu to protest against UBB too. I was with them for since 2000 with two pvrs and an hd receiver. If you haven't signed up with Shaw yet, they made me an offer I just couldn't refuse for the 630 PVR (for new customers). I had called just to find out the term of the contract for the 605. I couldn't find how many years I had to sign with Shaw on the website. I am used to Bell's hidden clauses in the minuscule text. Once they found out I was with Bell and unhappy with their UBB plans they really opened up. They offered a 630 PVR for $200 instead of $400, plus $100 in programming credit. This brings it down to $100 and they are also adding $50 in PPV credit for regular movies. I hadn't planned on making the move just then and there but did with this offer. I chose to lower my programming by about $40-50 with Shaw. In two to three months it will have paid by itself and I can bump it back up if I want to. I'm now Bell free, tv was my last service with them.

edit: I just checked my first bill online and Shaw got it right on the very first shot. With Bell, I'm sure they would have messed up the bill.

·
Registered
470 Posts
+1 velix

I have no capability to protest but I love the fact that they are losing paying customers. I use Telmex for half the year and Shaw cable internet for the other half. But I hope these bastards pay dearly for their grasping ways...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Bell..but its time to go.

Like the other posters I have decided to cancel my last Bell service Bell TV. I have never had an issue with the service. My main reason for cancelling is Bell's attempts to crush their DSL competition with UBB. The best place to hit a corporation like Bell is in the pocket book so I have taken my business to Shaw Direct who were more than happy to set me up with a 630 and 605. Savings were also made by selecting the Ontario Value Plan. The cancellation process through Bell was quite straight forward once I indicated I was not interested in any retention offers. The agent I spoke with sounded like he has heard this story before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts