Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m not only new to this forum, but new to digital TV! Ten years ago my old TV set stopped getting any TV programs off the air and for the last 10 years I have used it as a monitor, to watch DVDs. Just over one week ago I got my first HD TV (Toshiba, Fire TV Edition). Surprisingly, I did not find it difficult to set it up.

So far I’ve watched several movies on Tubi, CBC Gem, YouTube and Crave. Of course, I am aware of Netflix, but at this point I’m totally satisfied with the ‘free’ movies. By the way, I'm NOT interesting in watching any regular TV (off-the-air or cable) and I'm not going to get cable.

I hope I’ll be able to figure out many of the issues and problems myself by reading these forums.
However, I have a couple of questions related to my ‘transition’ from DVDs to Streaming TV.
  • DVDs often offer subtitles (and in some cases, even audio) in various languages—not only English, but also French, Spanish, etc. So far I’ve been only able to have subtitles in English. Are there any movies/streaming services (free or paid) that offer subtitles in other languages as well and allow me to select any language I like?
  • In addition, DVDs very often provide hours of ‘extra features’ or ‘bonus material’, which I enjoy watching very much. Is it possible to watch such extras, using any of the streaming apps?
  • While watching YouTube movies, is it possible to see all the information that I usually see while watching them on my computer (i.e., likes, comments)?
  • Is there a way to connect my computer to the TV set and use it like a monitor WIRELESSLY? I know it’s possible with a cable, but it would be not feasible, as the computer and the TV set are quite apart.
I’d really appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
A lot of newer TVs have apps that support streaming with a DLNA app. With a dumb TV, a media client, such as a Roku Stick, Fire Stick, Apple TV 4 or Chromecast with Google TV can be added to provide the same functionality. On the PC, a DLNA media server is required. The free Plex Server is one of the best. The Chromecast with Google TV has a Plex app that works with the PC Plex server. It also has a YouTube app that works almost like the PC version. Not sure if likes and comments are available. The smart TVs and the media clients mentioned work with wifi and can access media on network connected servers as well as internet streaming services. Not sure which apps they all support but the major apps like Netflix and YouTube are almost universal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, EXDILBERT. Although I don't really understand some of the terminology you used, I'll try to learn more about it.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
you can get the regular chromecast stick and "Cast" your youtube or tubi or netflix or whatever to your TV "Monitor" yes, this is what I do. its actually easier than you think, you should look it up, as for captions and such what ever captions are on youtube and netflix have worked for me, some times youtube the captions are unrelaible, but netflix seems fine. not sure about other languages have not tried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, 17671 & ExDilbert.

I was interested in subtitles in foreign languages done professionally, not through voice recognition. I used 'captions' in some of the YouTube videos I watched and indeed, it was difficult to follow them, least to say. I try to learn Spanish and sometimes it's fun to watch movies with Spanish subtitles. I'll look into chromecast stick. As I said before, I found setting up the smart TV much easier than I thought it would be-I had read that some people paid $200 to have their new TV sets set up and connect to other devices.

Sometimes Google Translate works quite well, especially when translating current news or similar material and if the sentences are not too long. Probably it's comparing the original text with many other sources online. I have a bilingual blog and translating it from English takes a lot of time. To simplify this process, several years ago I started using Google Translate. Whereas the translated text is far from perfect, and sometimes hilarious & undecipherable, I still find it quite helpful and it greatly accelerates the translation process.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Jack1000 you might want to take a look at your Toshiba, Fire TV Edition to see if it already supports Chromecast or something similar called mirroring. I did a quick search and some of them do, but it's not consistent.

If you're looking for additional free content, CTV.ca has an extensive collection of movies and Throwback series for free and they support Fire TV. Also the broadcast networks: CTV, Global TV and Citytv usually allow their series to be viewed online for free without a TV subscription for a week after broadcast.

I post press releases in this forum for CTV and Gem streaming and in the TV forum for most of the channels including CBC and Crave, so you ca see what's new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You already have a fire t.v. so you can disregard much of the add-ons mentioned.
It's capable as a Plex client. Kodi player and dnla client. You can install many apps
including a youtube player with no commercials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr. Dave-thank you very much, I'll certainly look into my TV [by the way, I have Toshiba 32" 720p HD LED Smart TV (32LF221C21) - Fire TV Edition - Only at Best Buy]. I will also take a look at the free content on CTV and other networks. I'm not a TV addict, I just want to watch something good a couple of times a week. Besides, I'm so behind any series, that even if I can watch them 10 or 15 years after broadcast, it's OK.

BTW-17,444 posts... that's impressive! Perhaps you should change your nick from Dr. Dave to Professor Dave?:)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Some more Free content for you. Film Rise, and Harvest News. Also this day and age a lot of people use Amazon to order just about anything. I don't know if you do or not, but I find paying the annual Prime membership fee of $79 to be a very good value. Not only does it save you on some shipping costs, but you also have access to Prime Video content (the catalogue is getting better all the time).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nanuuk-thanks. I hardly use Amazon, but a friend of mine has told me many times about her Prime membership, she gets plenty of perks and free shipping, I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts