Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Tivo Edge (with lifetime sub) for xmas. It was on sale at Channel Master in AZ and
shipped for $249 US with no tax. I had to pay Canada Post $60 duty at the door.

It says it will not work in Canada so this is what I did:

1. Got a zip code for Niagara Co., NY.
2. During setup selected USA and entered 14174.
3. The unit updated and the guide populated.
4. It has guide data for every Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara channel.
5. The only channel that has no data is CHCJ. But is has data for CKVP and CKVR.
6. It even has the brand new TVO.me logo.
Font Gadget Technology Electronic device Multimedia
Font Technology Electric blue Display device Multimedia

· Registered
403 Posts
I got one of these last summer. Sadly, the hard drive failed shortly after getting it, and I learned that TiVo doesn't ship replacements to Canadian addresses. Still sitting on my broken Tivo, I think I will crack it open at some point and try to get it working again by replacing the drive, but haven't gotten the courage up to try that yet.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I got one of these last summer. Sadly, the hard drive failed shortly after getting it, and I learned that TiVo doesn't ship replacements to Canadian addresses. Still sitting on my broken Tivo, I think I will crack it open at some point and try to get it working again by replacing the drive, but haven't gotten the courage up to try that yet.
Start reading the tivocommunity.com website. Then, visit www.weaknees.com for more info.
Don‘t mess with it until you’ve read up at these two sites.
Creating a new drive from an image is fairly easy from tivocommunity instructions.
And try the zip code ‘00000’ for Canadian sources.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I just got a new Tivo Edge (with lifetime sub) for xmas. It was on sale at Channel Master in AZ and
shipped for $249 US with no tax. I had to pay Canada Post $60 duty at the door.

It says it will not work in Canada so this is what I did:

1. Got a zip code for Niagara Co., NY.
2. During setup selected USA and entered 14174.
3. The unit updated and the guide populated.
4. It has guide data for every Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara channel.
5. The only channel that has no data is CHCJ. But is has data for CKVP and CKVR.
6. It even has the brand new TVO.me logo.
View attachment 13008 View attachment 13009
Try ‘00000’ as a zip code.

· Registered
26 Posts
Start reading the tivocommunity.com website. Then, visit www.weaknees.com for more info.
Don‘t mess with it until you’ve read up at these two sites.
Creating a new drive from an image is fairly easy from tivocommunity instructions.
And try the zip code ‘00000’ for Canadian sources.
It's as simple as taking the lid off, and dropping in any drive up to 3TB. It'll self-format and set itself up. Nothing else needs to be done beyond putting the lid back on afterwards.

This is true on ALL Tivo's since the Roamio came out in 2014. So, Roamio, Bolt, and the Edge

· Registered
403 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I should add that I encountered a security screw that prevented me from being able to open the box, did some research and it looks like I should be able to open it with a "game bit" screwdriver, but I have to do some shopping now as none of the ends in my screwdriver set were a match for it.

· Super Moderator
59,103 Posts
I bought a box of torx bits a while back for this purpose: The bits came in handy for other items too. I initially used the bits with a small pair of pliers, but I found a magnetic screwdriver for $1 at a dollar store that fit the bits. (took a bit with me to be sure before purchase)

I got about 60 bits for about $10 at the time.

Make sure you get the right ones that have the hole in the end. I believe they're called Torx Security. Sample link below:

· Registered
103 Posts

· Registered
1,646 Posts
DSS,

" ... The only channel that has no data is CHCJ ..."

You can get them to add it to 14174 by entering a report at TiVo Support Center

Fill in Channel (Ch. #) 35-1 is missing and it should be listed as (Ch. Letters) CHCJDT ,Broadcast Frequency (#) . 35

They have the data for , just need to to link it to 14174.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts