Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
wow.... just poking my head in here to look for solutions on my pvr issues, and noticed my review of the optic system has over 60K views.... nice!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So Lord500, how about an update from your original post.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The shaw of cable is very good at doing this. They know that they don't have a product that is as good, and they are loosing customers.
Finially I upgraded to Optik after having Bell satellite for 15 years.
I got the oppertunity to do A-B comparisions for 2 weeks before my Bell was cut off, and I can say that they picture holds up excellent. I made recordings off channels like Oasis, on both the satellite and optik, and when I found a scene that I thought looked a litle rough I played the satellite recording back, and it looked just as bad.
MPG compression isn't perfect.
I am in TV heaven now, as I have the top tier service, which means I can have 3HD and 1SD stream running at the same time and 25 meg internet. So I can be recording 2HD channels while watching another HD, and the kids watching SD in the basement.
The only thing I initially didn't like was when I tuned in the music channels there was no song title, but I discovered that if I launched the music channels through the musicroom application found in the main/applications menu, low and behold now full song / artist information that moves around the screen to prevent burn in.
Bell or any other provider would have to give me lifetime free service to sway me back, and the chances of that happening are about as realistic as hell freezing over, so I guess I am sticking with Optik. It is a simply wonderfull system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kent,

Level of service varies by distance to the DSLAM, not by city or municipality. North Van should be well served, with upgrades continuing. Quality of service is the same no matter where, or at least thats the goal. Levels of service do change though from 1HD/2SD (uncommon) to 3HD/1SD quite common. The most common is probably 2HD/1SD, but 3HD/1SD isn't far behind in built up areas.

PM me with your phone number (address if don't have a TELUS phone) and I will tell you what level of service you will get.

- another TELUS tech
WireMonkey,

How do I PM you to find out what level of service I have with Telus and how far I am from the DSLAM. I'm currently with Shaw and looking into the switch to Telus. Would like to find out more about the capabilities of Telus before I make the switch. Thanks.
What is the plan for Telus on upgrading the Internet, any plan to increase the speed beyond the 25mbps?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
@betaboy00, you can go to Telus.com and check availability for your specific location. If you don't have a Telus phone number, put in your address and say that you have internet so that you will get a response that includes the number of HD/SD streams you will get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Dr. Dave I did enter my Telus phone number into the website and it says I have Home Phone + Internet + Optik TV service available. It doesn't say how many stream I can have. Also is it possible to find how far I am from the DSLAM?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
@betaboy00, you have to go to the Optik TV section of the web site to check availability. Here is an example of the last part of a response for a Telus phone number:
Based on the information that you have provided, you can watch Optik TV on up to 6 TVs in your home. And you can watch 2 live programs in HD and 1 in standard definition at the same time.
If you don't get the info, you may have to phone Telus to find out.

I don't think the front line reps have the distance from the DSLAM, but they can tell you the speed you qualify for and the number of streams you can get. The distance probably wouldn't mean much by itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
UPDATE - years after!

So, I've been running with Optic TV for a number of years now, and have had some ups and downs.
Overall, the system is great, and coming from basic cable a great improvement.

I do have to admit, there were a number of hiccups, and I spent an extraordinary amount of time on the phone with Telus's service department at various levels.

So, what were my problems? Came down to three main ones:
1. the phone line would cut in and out (for days) in the house - though the tv kept running fine
2. could not access recorded programs on remote boxes at times
3. often the main box got fried.

solutions:
1- it was a wiring issue on the original install. I am really dissapointed that it took so long to resolve this, as a number of techs came out to diagnose. I understand that alot of the work is contracted out, so I will chalk it up to guys who are trying to pump it through to make more calls in a day. But it is resolved.
2- this was a microsoft issue, that was resolved with system update. a long time coming, but haven't had any issues in a long time.
3- this one seems to have been an issue of overheating.... I have the box elevated now (giving a larger air circulation gap) and ensure the box gets turned off nightly for some down time.

I think they have FINALLY resolved most of these issues, though it did take years to overcome. I am pleased with how it is running, but have to admit I am frustrated that I paid so much for feeling like a beta tester....

When I originally considered telus to shaw's digital tv, telus was a discount (even when looking at the bundles with internet and phone). I checked a few times over the year, and for my needs it seemed to always be a bit less. I liked the concept of the whole home dvr too. I have recommended telustv to friends and co-workes, despite my issues with our setup, and none of them have reported any hiccups. guess I was the lucky one.

Overall, I am still happy with telustv, and will recommend to someone comparing them to shaw. With two kids and my wife in the house, it is very convenient. If I was living the bachelor life again, I would probably opt for streaming tv over the net and cutting the tv wires.... but that's a whole other discussion.

Cheers
B.

·
Registered
36 Posts
End of the 3 year term.

I'm just ending my first 3 year term with Telus. Details of my switch from Shaw post 49 of this thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=141637&page=4&highlight=optik+pvr+free+rental
There were some ups and downs with the TV. One outage in May 2013 lasted about 8 hours, but the internet was still working, so I watched streaming video instead. (it was a regional outage).
A handful of recorded programs I couldn't use fast forward on without them skipping right to the end of the program, but that only happened in the first 18 months.
A few times the response speed of the remote and HD would slow down to a crawl, but that turned out to be because they were in the process of updating the software at the time (it happened once at 1am).
When I decided to cut back to 6 theme packs from 9 packs, I had to do it through live chat on the website, which only involved a minor amount of attempting to upsell me by offering free trial channels. The rest of the time swapping theme packs or cancelling and bringing back Sportsnet World (I only wanted it during Premier League football season) was very easy to do online and immediate.

Turbo 25 internet (now called High Speed Turbo) has exceeded my expectations with never any lowering of download speed even while watching, recording 3 TV shows, and there was no difference between a wireless/wired connection.

On my last bill of the term (received this month) I saw that they would be billing me for the 1 PVR, 1 Digital Box that had been free for the term. I called the 866-310-6988 number and asked what my options are since I don't want to start paying the rental charges. (the PVR is the old 320gb HD, and I was actually prepared to turn it in and get a refurb PVR 500gb HD $99 and digital box $49 from FS/BB/LD, even if it meant losing the recordings I have on the PVR).

It turned out the CSR just said "as a reward for your customer loyalty, we will continue your free rentals (of the equipment) permanently." I said "so I don't need to sign another contract term?" He said, "no, your next bill will reflect this call and the change to continued free rental."
It was apparent to me that you have to call in and request this, though. It's not automatic.

So, all in all, I'm a happy Optik Internet/TV customer. I may decide to sell my condo and move at some point in the next few years, so no contract is just what I want right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Telus optic tv

Love this optic TV,love how you can pause and rewind..Has shaw direct before and the wanted to charge me 150 for PVR that's with telling them Telus gives it for free and I was with shaw for years,fiber is the way of the future..

·
Registered
24 Posts
New Telus TV AND INTERNET 50

Just switched over to Telus from SHAW. My first impressions so far are GREAT. The picture and sound is a lot better then SHAW, and most of all my internet speed is perfect, I get a constant hardwired speed of 52 and wireless is usually around 40 or higher, and that's with everything running.

I was so pissed at SHAW I was getting like 1-6 mbs download speed on peek hours and man it sucked so bad then at around 1:00am I would get broadband 100. Called so many times to complain any still never fixed the saturation in the area. Hell I would probley get higher speed with dial up. Also was experiencing a lot of audio drop outs while watching shows. Just had enough with the bull crap. I wonder how many people are paying for broad band 50 and don't even know there getting a lot lower then they pay for.

Right away I noticed a brighter and sharper picture and the audio was better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I completely agree with you on the quality of TV service, but I recommend calling into tech support to tune your WIFI. I recently went through tech support to change the operating channel for my Telus WIFI because of interference from a neighbor's wireless device (I think it is a cordless phone). Now I get within 1/2 mbps of advertised!

241 - 253 of 253 Posts