Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
All of the TV tech support used to be in Edmonton (I worked in that office) but they've expanded to some other locations. Not sure where it all is now but there is still some in Edmonton.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, found one negative with the Optik service.....

Don't be playing with the Actiontec router and rebooting it while your wife is watching TV and recording her shows. Whooops! After years with Shaw it's going to take a little getting used to the fact that I can't totally seperate the internet and TV now at a hardware level. Man, she hasn't given me stink-eye like that in a while... :p Note to self: Leave the router alone, repeat, leave the router alone.

New code provided for the 330 box is still working fine so I guess Telus figured that one out. Now to wait for my next bill to make sure they haven't messed anything up on that side.

Also a heads up if you rent the PVR and then buy your own, you can't simply return the old PVR to a Telus store. Apparently you have to box it up, take it to Canada Post and then they know what to do with it from there. Postage is handled by Telus apparently and they all get returned to B.C. Would be nice to drop it at a Telus store and get a receipt for the return but I guess it's ok if I'm not paying to mail it back.

Still lovin' Optik otherwise. Now that we're getting used to the interface it's all good. Still astounded by the speed stability of the internet connection. What a refreshing change from "the other guys"....

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys
i'm new here, new to Telus Optik TV+ Internet (installed on 3 days ago)
At first, everything was perfect, 14 M speed when using no TV, 11.5 M with HD channel.
But today, for 12 hours now, i got 0.6 M speed when i use HD or SD or recorded TV, no matter what...
I still have my 11 to 14 M when the TV is off...
I'm so pissed.
But i'm a big optimistic and i know there is a solution to every problem. But what is the solution?
Is anyone having the same problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New TELUS TV, 2nd box now not linking after working ok for 5 days.

We had TELUS TV installed last Wednesday, Feb. 9. It worked great for 5 days, then on Monday, 1 of 2 set top box (PVR), that was connected to my main TV in the living room through house coax stopped working. It no longer linked to the router. So, I have no TV downstairs. Upstairs TV still works as it is connected directly to router with cat5 cable. I swapped the boxes and confirmed that the PVR is fine when connected directly to the router via cat5.

Only change from initial install is I moved the power plugs from splitter on the wall to a power bar/ surge protector on the floor. Does the power bar interfere with the signal going through coax?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Alvoy, sometimes Shaw will take out our coax splitter or barrel connector when they do the disconnect order. You can try switching your 330 and 430 to make sure the STB still works, and you can use a short piece of coax directly from router to STB to make sure the HCNA adapters work. It's unlikey to be the power bar, but you can still try plugging it right into the wall to eliminate that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New TELUS TV, 2nd box now not linking after working ok for 5 days.

Just an update. Telus tech came out today, hooked up his tester, goes outside to the box, comes back in and tells me that the in house coax system has been disconnected. He re-connects them, comes back in, reboots the box and voila! I've got TV again. Not pointing fingers or anything, but I think my previous provider's tech, not naming names (but starts with s and ends in w) most likely disconnected everything. Classy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
internet speed:
slowest 1.5 Mb/s
top speed 13.38Mb/s

oops I was replying to someone post about internet speed with Optik tv but I get pushed way down here out of context and can't get this deleted

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Alvoy - I had issues with the "other" provider engaging in questionable practices as well. Just reassures me that I made the right decision going to Telus and that I will advise everyone to stay away from the "other" provider.

After just over a week I am more than satisfied with Telus Optik! My only complaint is that I drank too much of the Shaw Kool-Aid and didn't switch over sooner. My internet speeds have been consistently solid, at it's slowest around 12.5mbps but normally it is between 14.5 and 15.5mbps. And that is without "boost" technology which artificially inflates your speeds.

The PVR system is hands down the best part of the system. The menus are crips, clear and responsive and the interface is intuitive and easy to use. The PVR anywhere is also an awesome feature as I am able to set my PVR from my berry or work PC. I've already used this feature several times and it always puts a smile on my face.

The picture quality in general is very good. Overall the SD channels are better than Shaw as they are more clear and crisp. With Shaw you knew you were watching an SD channel whereas with Telus you often forget or don't realize. I notice this particularily with hockey games as I have one TV that is an older CRT style and with Shaw the game was terrible however, with Telus it is smooth. The only time I think Telus lags a little bit is in the newest HD movies that are on the movie channels. I think this is where Shaw has a slight edge on quality of picture, it's not night and day but to be completely fair I would say this is where Telus could improve.

Most importantly my customer service experience so far with Telus has been top notch! This is a big part of why I left the "other" guys and I am glad I did!

·
Banned
7 Posts
wow

I think a lot of people are leaving Shaw because Telus has so many things to offer including pricing, equipment, free give aways, new channels and newer technology.

I've been considering for the last 6 months due to a reality check, recently I've seen my monthly bill go up once again. This is the 2nd time, in less than 6 months with the same amount of channels or less but worst and worst customer service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I made the switch to Telus 2 weeks ago, and haven't looked back since! My only regret was not making it sooner! Customer service thus far has been great, and the product is well worth the money I am paying ($25.00/month less than my other provider, and getter a much better feature rich product). While watching Netflix and recording 3 HD channels at once, my internet speeds never drop below 12mb/s!! The most I was getting with my other provider on their "extreme" package ranged anywhere from .75mb/s to 8mb/s. I guess if I had a complaint, it would be that I miss the info screen on the front of my old box, and that there almost seems to be too many channels to choose from.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It would be helpful if people would include the city they are in in their details as I believe the quality of service varies from city to city. I am considering the switch from Shaw but would like to read some comments from other people in my area.

·
Banned
548 Posts
It would be helpful if people would include the city they are in in their details as I believe the quality of service varies from city to city. I am considering the switch from Shaw but would like to read some comments from other people in my area.
Kent,

Level of service varies by distance to the DSLAM, not by city or municipality. North Van should be well served, with upgrades continuing. Quality of service is the same no matter where, or at least thats the goal. Levels of service do change though from 1HD/2SD (uncommon) to 3HD/1SD quite common. The most common is probably 2HD/1SD, but 3HD/1SD isn't far behind in built up areas.

PM me with your phone number (address if don't have a TELUS phone) and I will tell you what level of service you will get.

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
548 Posts
If it's a no VDSL2 ports situation, that won't be that way forever. VDSL2 upgrades are ongoing. VDSL2 ports are required to deliver 3HD/1SD service as well as Optik Turbo.

ADSL2+ ports are used to provide up to 2HD/1SD OptikTV service with 15 meg internet.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hope I get an upgrade away from 1HD/2SD, but for now I'm very happy with the way this system works. Being a block away from the busiest intersection in Surrey its not like I'm in the boonies, so I had hopes for 2HD/1SD but who knows. The tech told me I'm not very far from the streetside box ( not outside of the range that VDSL will give me 3HD )

For me these boxes are huge steps up from the Motorola DCX3400's I'm coming from. Being able to view live TV in the preview while flipping through the guide means I don't change to a channel on commercial, and being able to remove channels from the guide is the biggest treat. I had no idea this was an option, and to have it is miraculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When can I get it?

We are living in an area of town that does not currently have Optik available, eagar to try but would love to know why it is not available yet and when it may be. It seems that all the communities around us have it :(

221 - 240 of 253 Posts