Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huh?

Don't know what you're referring to CrossConnect but I don't work for Shaw or Telus. I'm a consumer who feels like I'm being short changed in what I should expect to be provided with when I spend my money for a service.
Cheers

·
Banned
548 Posts
...can you hear this Mr. Entwistle? ..... It's the sound of my footsteps as I'm walking over to your competitor.
While I'm disappointed you were treated this way by a TELUS rep, I doubt Mr. Entwistle can hear your footsteps. There is a lot of noise from the near deafening rumble of customers running to Optik from Shaw and other providers. In fact its generating order levels that guarantee near unlimited OT for installer techs ATM.

I do agree though, wholeheartedly, that there are improvements to be made in TELUS's customer service. There always will be room for improvements in any company’s customer service, and it's generally customers and the marketplace that will drive them.

Be an informed buyer, remember caveat emptor or let the buyer beware is still the well worn rule in the marketplace. Know what you want and how to ask for it.

Grate One, more members of the buying public should exercise the practise you did and not just take the persons word for it, especially if you've heard different from somewhere else. Finally whenever you deal with a representative of a company get a name and if possible an ID number especially if it’s over the phone. Noting the time and date of the call isn't such a bad idea either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Loving Optik Turbo here so far.

Shaw: We had Phone, HDTV, Extreme Internet with 15Mbps down, 1Mbps up, 100GB cap recently dropped from 125GB. Price $160 per month and a 12 year customer with Shaw.

Telus: We now have Optik Turbo with 3HD/1SD TV streams, 25Mbps down, 2Mbps up, 250GB per month cap, more channels and bigger hard drive in PVR. Price, $110 per month for first year and $146 per month for year two and three. Phone included as well with call display. (which also shows up on the TV screen via the PVR. Way cool...)

Total savings is almost a thousand bucks over next 3 years for bigger, better, faster in every respect. Needless to say Shaw was very disappointed that I cancelled with them but the new UBB was the final straw (along with constant audio cutouts that they can't seem to fix). With Apple TV and Netflix in the house (no torrents), 100GB cap doesn't cut it and Shaw confirmed I was averaging 80GB per month and was slightly over 100GB twice in the last six months. Telus at 250GB takes care of that handily and again, for less money.

Installers were here in just over a week from date of order, took 3 hours (due to wiring problems they had to fix in the box down the street) and were very professional. Did a Cat5 ethernet run for me from the den to the living room which with the addition of a cheap gig switch allowed me to also hardwire my ATV, PS3, HTPC and the PVR in the living room. Actiontec modem/router is working really well and has wireless N with WPA2 and 4 x gig ethernet ports. Wireless range is decent and feature set covers what I need.

Don't worry on the video quality, HD is great, "slightly" softer than Shaw but that's subjective. I haven't even tried tweaking the TV yet as I'm ok with what I'm seeing. Seriously, it really is very close and my wife says she can't see the difference so that's all I really need to know. ;) 52" Toshiba LCD via HDMI. SD quality is night and day better than Shaw and I no longer avoid those channels. What a pleasant surprise that was!

We had some initial issues with random pixelating and audio glitches but a call to Telus had that resolved in 20 minutes while they did line tests and adjustments at their end. They were apparently able to identify the transmission errors and so far so good. They did say though that they'll roll a tech out to check wiring and equipment if it happens again.

Anyhoo, if you can get this in your area, do yourself a favour and check it out. The free iPhone app to set a remote recording that you forgot is the icing on the cake. That always seems to happen when we're on the road. Cheers!

·
Registered
382 Posts
@joudbren, thanks for sharing your positive experience so far. Bear in mind that if you're watching TV, your internet will take a pretty big hit, especially while watching HD if you are online at the same time you are watching tv.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@joudbren, thanks for sharing your positive experience so far. Bear in mind that if you're watching TV, your internet will take a pretty big hit, especially while watching HD if you are online at the same time you are watching tv.
Happy to provide feedback and speed hasn't been an issue so far. The Actiontec is training up at 31Mbps down and 3 Mbps up and initial tests are showing almost no hit at all with a single HD stream going. As mentioned, I'm on the Turbo service so even with 3 HD streams going I don't expect to drop much below 15Mbps which is what I already had with Shaw so no worries. That's still fantastic speed. I will be testing it just out of curiousity when I get a little more time but so far, it just really isn't noticeable. Not sure if this would be the same on the lower tier Optik services but with Turbo, wow. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loving Optik Turbo here so far.

Shaw: We had Phone, HDTV, Extreme Internet with 15Mbps down, 1Mbps up, 100GB cap recently dropped from 125GB. Price $160 per month and a 12 year customer with Shaw.

Telus: We now have Optik Turbo with 3HD/1SD TV streams, 25Mbps down, 2Mbps up, 250GB per month cap, more channels and bigger hard drive in PVR. Price, $110 per month for first year and $146 per month for year two and three. Phone included as well with call display. (which also shows up on the TV screen via the PVR. Way cool...)

Total savings is almost a thousand bucks over next 3 years for bigger, better, faster in every respect. Needless to say Shaw was very disappointed that I cancelled with them but the new UBB was the final straw (along with constant audio cutouts that they can't seem to fix). With Apple TV and Netflix in the house (no torrents), 100GB cap doesn't cut it and Shaw confirmed I was averaging 80GB per month and was slightly over 100GB twice in the last six months. Telus at 250GB takes care of that handily and again, for less money.

Installers were here in just over a week from date of order, took 3 hours (due to wiring problems they had to fix in the box down the street) and were very professional. Did a Cat5 ethernet run for me from the den to the living room which with the addition of a cheap gig switch allowed me to also hardwire my ATV, PS3, HTPC and the PVR in the living room. Actiontec modem/router is working really well and has wireless N with WPA2 and 4 x gig ethernet ports. Wireless range is decent and feature set covers what I need.

Don't worry on the video quality, HD is great, "slightly" softer than Shaw but that's subjective. I haven't even tried tweaking the TV yet as I'm ok with what I'm seeing. Seriously, it really is very close and my wife says she can't see the difference so that's all I really need to know. ;) 52" Toshiba LCD via HDMI. SD quality is night and day better than Shaw and I no longer avoid those channels. What a pleasant surprise that was!

We had some initial issues with random pixelating and audio glitches but a call to Telus had that resolved in 20 minutes while they did line tests and adjustments at their end. They were apparently able to identify the transmission errors and so far so good. They did say though that they'll roll a tech out to check wiring and equipment if it happens again.

Anyhoo, if you can get this in your area, do yourself a favour and check it out. The free iPhone app to set a remote recording that you forgot is the icing on the cake. That always seems to happen when we're on the road. Cheers!
I'm hoping to have this same experience when I get Optik (phone, TV and internet) installed on Saturday. joudbren, I had the exact same Shaw set up as you and I will have the exact same Telus set up with Optik Turbo and I'm on 3HD/1SD profile.

Nice to hear your positive experience. Hopefully I feel the same way after installation on Saturday.

I'm interested to see if the tech goes coax or ethernet to the boxes. He'll have the option for both as my house is wired with CAT5e. I want to keep my Time Capsule and have it sit behind the Telus router and use the TC for wireless, hopefully that works fine.

Also, nice to hear the SD on Telus was a lot nicer. Some of the Shaw SD channels (especially the time shift ones in the 80s) are terrible quality.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Happy to provide feedback and speed hasn't been an issue so far. The Actiontec is training up at 31Mbps down and 3 Mbps up and initial tests are showing almost no hit at all with a single HD stream going. As mentioned, I'm on the Turbo service so even with 3 HD streams going I don't expect to drop much below 15Mbps which is what I already had with Shaw so no worries. That's still fantastic speed. I will be testing it just out of curiousity when I get a little more time but so far, it just really isn't noticeable. Not sure if this would be the same on the lower tier Optik services but with Turbo, wow. Cheers!
That's really awesome to hear. Please continue to keep us to date, especially with speed test results. Feel free to PM me as we really are on the edge of switching...but if not mistaken, the last time I checked, the max speeds we could get right now with Telus is 15 Mbps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm hoping to have this same experience when I get Optik (phone, TV and internet) installed on Saturday. joudbren, I had the exact same Shaw set up as you and I will have the exact same Telus set up with Optik Turbo and I'm on 3HD/1SD profile.

Nice to hear your positive experience. Hopefully I feel the same way after installation on Saturday.

I'm interested to see if the tech goes coax or ethernet to the boxes. He'll have the option for both as my house is wired with CAT5e. I want to keep my Time Capsule and have it sit behind the Telus router and use the TC for wireless, hopefully that works fine.

Also, nice to hear the SD on Telus was a lot nicer. Some of the Shaw SD channels (especially the time shift ones in the 80s) are terrible quality.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Keep us posted on what you think when you get it! Safe bet they'll use the cat5 if it's already installed and check other threads in this forum re: your Time Capsule as things have to be set up very specifically with the Actiontec to make that work. I have an Airport Extreme that is no longer in use now as it's no longer required. The Telus setup has allowed me to hard wire everything and the new router works fine for the iPhones and my iPad.

Curious to hear your take on the video quality as we're really happy with it. Our previously mentioned audio and video glitches do indeed seem to be fixed so far but we are still keeping an eye on it.

Anyhoo, hope it works out for you and works as well as ours. It's a keeper in this house. Cheers!

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's really awesome to hear. Please continue to keep us to date, especially with speed test results. Feel free to PM me as we really are on the edge of switching...but if not mistaken, the last time I checked, the max speeds we could get right now with Telus is 15 Mbps.
Will do! I should have time this weekend to do some testing. Cheers!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Keep us posted on what you think when you get it! Safe bet they'll use the cat5 if it's already installed and check other threads in this forum re: your Time Capsule as things have to be set up very specifically with the Actiontec to make that work. I have an Airport Extreme that is no longer in use now as it's no longer required. The Telus setup has allowed me to hard wire everything and the new router works fine for the iPhones and my iPad.

Curious to hear your take on the video quality as we're really happy with it. Our previously mentioned audio and video glitches do indeed seem to be fixed so far but we are still keeping an eye on it.

Anyhoo, hope it works out for you and works as well as ours. It's a keeper in this house. Cheers!
OMG. You're speaking Greek, lolz. Are there issues with Telus Highspeed and iPhone/iPad wifi?

Will do! I should have time this weekend to do some testing. Cheers!
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
OMG. You're speaking Greek, lolz. Are there issues with Telus Highspeed and iPhone/iPad wifi?

Thanks
Hi, there are no issues with Telus and wifi for the iPhone. I was just making the point that the new Actiontec modem/router that Telus provides has decent wireless that works great with my iPhone and iPad. I used to have a lot more stuff on wireless in the house but since Telus installed an Ethernet connection for me to the living room I've now been able to hard wire all those devices instead.

The Apple Time Capsule has a router as well so it must be setup properly to work with the Telus router or they will conflict with each other. It can be done but specific steps have to be taken to do that and that info is available on other threads in this forum. In my case, I now only need the wireless for my iPhone and iPad and the Telus router works great for that so I've removed my Apple router completely. Cheers!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok finally got some time to test it. All I can say is wow. Just wow. Is it ok to actually like Telus again? I feel so dirty.... :p

(and on that note.... Telus, you've definitely earned my business again. Please don't let me down....)

This is with 3 HD streams recording at the same time. I can also confirm that a single HD stream does not affect my speed. At all. Still get my 24Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

Internet speed has proven to be remarkably consistent any time of day. Speed pretty much never fluctuates and ping on speedtest.net varies between 7ms and 36ms depending on time of day. Amazing.

Video quality is great. Pixelating has definitely been fixed when they did the tweaks at their end and now we get the odd teeny glitch every few days but that's it. We had that with Shaw too and also constant audio dropouts. I'm happy.

If you can get Optik Turbo in your area, man.... just do it. Cheers!

P.S. Finally also got a chance to setup and use the free iPhone recording app for remote scheduling. It works. I can definitively say the WAF is very high on this one. (Wife Acceptance Factor)

·
Banned
548 Posts
The TELUS network is totally different than the type of network that Shaw runs on.

The TELUS network provides an individual port attached to an individual pair of copper wires or in some cases a single strand of fiber optic directly to the customers residence from an individual port at the source or DSLAM. On copper nothing is shared with any other customer from the fiber fed DSLAM port to your modem/router. Your internet speed is consistant as a result, since your connection is not shared.

Telephone cable is copper with many pairs of copper wires in it, making separate individual connections to each customer the reality of our copper topoplogy. If you are on direct fiber then you have a whole other animal, much quicker than copper can ever be. There is currently no known 'speed limit' for fiber optic, its seems its only dependant on the equipment at either end.

The distribution network at Shaw runs mainly on coaxial cables instead of the type used in telephoney. Shaws network is run on cable not much different than the coax that feeds your TV, except they're about as big around as your thumb. This means that their network has to carry everyone in an area on the same cable. With this type of network high usage periods result in congestion and network slowdowns resulting in slower internet access for people on congested portions of the Shaw network. This is why your Shaw internet may get slow at around 3:30 - 4:00pm when the kids get home from school and fire up the PC to do homework or the X-box to game. In built-up high density neighbourhoods, connections sometimes don't pick up speed until after 11:00pm when people go to bed. Netflix is only going to make things worse, that's probably why Shaw is getting tighter about the bandwidth usage of customers, capping it @ 120GB/month. Their network is probably getting a wee bit overburdened with all the traffic from ShawPhone, internet, TV, and now streaming video from the internet like Netflix.

This is why TELUS ADSL type internet speeds are so much more consistent than the type of internet from cable providers.

Its OK, TELUS will assist them by taking some of their congestion away. I like to think I'm helping everyday! :)

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second everything Wiremonkey says above. I am totally sold on this new Optik offering and I do not work for Telus. I am a retired electrical engineer and if this ADSL2+ technology had been advertised when I went to school I would have said "impossible, it breaks Nyquist Sampling Theorem" (look up on Wikipedia). I can now see bringing the hardware closer to the house and using the signal/noise properties to the absolute limit, and complex modulation schemes does make it all possible.

I heard my neighbours complaining how their Shaw slowed down whenever there was a snowstorm or school got out and realized it was because they were all wired in serial and multiplexed on same copper coax. Those green Telus boxes in your neighbourhood have multiplexors that utilize fiber optics from a main Telus switch. That green box multiplexes in parallel (rather than Shaw serial) over your existing dedicated phone line in a "tree" structure all within 2 km of your house. No noticeable degradation with number of users that I can see. When Shaw started charging an extra $10 for VOIP 3rd party phones like "Vonex" and bandwidth limiting for certain sites like "U-Torrent", I said "not for me". That, plus my 50 analog channel reality (nothing watchable) TV Shaw bill was over $80/month when I said "ENOUGH, UNCLE already". It was my fault that it was analog, but Shaw would never make the entry PVR reasonable like Telus.

I went through some pains dealing with Telus on my order and my contract but Telus was willing to extend credits for my loss of time and frustration. I appreciated that and I also think they are working on a better online order system that would go a long way towards the complaints I see on this site. At least they are trying hard in my view.

Keep up the great information, Wiremonkey! I appreciate your advise.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I can now see bringing the hardware closer to the house and using the signal/noise properties to the absolute limit, and complex modulation schemes does make it all possible.
BillA,

That modulation you mentioned is QAM. Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, it's the magic fairydust that makes it all work. You're right though, moving the fiber out into the neighbourhoods was a great first step. One day in the not too distant future we will all have fiber to our homes. It's already happening in the new developments. :)

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bummer. Telus says no 25 Mbps for me. There is some major upgrades (construction et al) going in our area so maybe next year, if we will still be residing where we are. Looks like Shaw will have me for internet for a while...then maybe not. With their Extreme the advertised is 25 Mbps but that's only with turbo boost enabled. My actual speeds are around 1500 Kbps which is what Telus regular high speed is. Of course, the caps are much lower though with Telus on their regular high speed thatn with Shaw's Extreme :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a quick update on almost two weeks now with Telus. Fantastic! Everything is working just great and the pixelation and audio drops have not returned since Telus did the tweaks at their end.

I was in BB a couple of days ago and saw they had a deal going for a free 330 if you purchased the 430 PVR so I ended up getting both for $250. Couldn't believe it! Every once in a while ya just win. Pretty sure I read somewhere that FS had that promo going as well. I don't remember seeing it advertised though so maybe just an in store special. (Edmonton)

Telus was able to transfer the old code over to the new box and gave me another code for the 330. 330 stopped working the very next day though and Telus figured it out and gave me another code. Hopefully it stays working this time. Did the cabling myself for this one from a gig-e switch I installed in the basement. Telus wanted to roll a tech out but I said not to bother, it's working fine.

One thing I did notice, the new 430 seems to be just a smidge sharper in HD than our previous 2 week old rental 430. Not sure why that is or if I'm just imagining things. I don't think so as my wife noticed it as well. Just about identical now to what we had with HD on Shaw cable. Settings on both units were absolutely identical. Another surprise, when I switched the boxes my wife swears all her recording schedules were still there. Is that possible? Does Telus keep track of the recording schedules for you on their servers? Is that something that is enabled due to my iPhone recording app?

Internet speed has been rock solid with no fluctuations. Still 24Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Couldn't be happier with the switch to Telus. Looking forward to seeing version 2.0 of the firmware when they push that down to the box. Pausing of live TV on the 330 will be sweet. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
One thing I did notice, the new 430 seems to be just a smidge sharper in HD than our previous 2 week old rental 430.
It's possible one of the PVRs was set at 1080i and the other 720p. Some TVs give a better picture with one or the other. It depends on the TV.

Does Telus keep track of the recording schedules for you on their servers? Is that something that is enabled due to my iPhone recording app?
That's a standard feature of Mediaroom and happens with other providers that don't have remote recording apps. It's possible Microsoft designed it that way specifically to allow for remote recording.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts