Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Thought I would start a new thread on this topic, mainly to give my feedback now that I'm switched over to the new system.

so for me, I'm very impressed. a big leap forward from the old system. For anyone that is used to using media centre, this is what it's like - and I love'd using my computer as the pvr in the past.
so wow, nice set up.

the quality of the picture is much better, including the regular feed also. regular tv is almost as crsip as the hd used to be - and hd has improved also.
the dual tuner - long time coming and now it's like a tri tuner (tape three programs at once).

limitations - so far the only one I've noticed is that it shows all the tv channels in the guide, regardless of what you've subscribed to. I liked that the old one let you alternate between all, subscribed, hd, and fav's. If I could change one thing, this would be it. I hate having to flip through all those channels that I don't have... makes the mindless flipping a bit of a pain.
but - this is very minor in comparison to all the other plus'es.

overall, very impressed.
and once again, the install folks were very good. My guy knew his product, was very friendly and personable - make it a great overall experience.
:cool:Thumbs up Telus - kick'en the crap out of what shaw has to offer (imho)

how about you?
-what do you think?
-what differences (positives)
-what limitations do you see? (and solutions if anyone figures them out)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lord, cool to hear you like the service! The overall experience is even better in person than described in advertising copy - it's a nuanced and elegant user experience that is much more than just PVR Anywhere.

Regarding Subscribed channel view, that is one feature that is regretably absent from the Microsoft platform at this time. But you do get 1 favourite list, and you can go into settings to remove unsubscribed channels from the default Guide view to reduce the clutter. Assumes you know all the channels you subscribe to of course.

SD video is much better because while it's still MPEG2 on Minerva, all SD signals on Mediaroom are MPEG4. That means the picture looks better, especially when it's viewed on larger screens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Background image:

One clarification. When the advanced info was released/leaked on this, including the one image of the program guide - one of the users of this forum noted that the background image was the arc de triumph in Paris. I think the comment was something like 'I hope they change the image so that it is some thing more canadian.' I agree with that sentiment.

Just to let you know, the arc isn't there, or any other static image. When you pull up the guide, you see what is playing on your current channel. then as you scroll through the other channels which you may jump to, that video is shown in the picture in picture box.
On the old set up, you were watching the current program in the PIP box, and didn't get to preview the new channel.

My thoughts on that - much nicer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lord, cool to hear you like the service! The overall experience is even better in person than described in advertising copy - it's a nuanced and elegant user experience that is much more than just PVR Anywhere.

Regarding Subscribed channel view, that is one feature that is regretably absent from the Microsoft platform at this time. But you do get 1 favourite list, and you can go into settings to remove unsubscribed channels from the default Guide view to reduce the clutter. Assumes you know all the channels you subscribe to of course.

SD video is much better because while it's still MPEG2 on Minerva, all SD signals on Mediaroom are MPEG4. That means the picture looks better, especially when it's viewed on larger screens.
Thanks Anti,

I ended up playing with that last night and finding it. I was able to figure which channels I had access to as they showed up in the PIP. if it was black - I wasn't getting the signal. Guess I may have to adjust if I add more channels (or if telus gives me more channels - I might not notice!)

I agree, this is a minor downside when compared with the overall experiance.

Last night we got to use the HD capability of the new tv up in the bonus room. Till now the HD feed (and pvr) has been on the main floor - so it was very nice to have a crisp clear signal on the new tv. I was really able to see just how much of a thumping the oilers got last night.

we also tested out the 'start watching a program upstairs, and continue watching on the other tv' feature. Pretty cool. I can see it coming in very handy if we are making dinner/a snack and finish watching the program in the comfort of the bonus room.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well just got the system installed and I can say without a doubt that the picture is cleaner and clearer than the previous telustv, shawhd. I would say it is equal if not better than Bell satellite but would literally have to do a side by side blind test as it is that clear!

Hd channels are perfect, and standard def look amazing for standard def.

To give you an idea I was testing on a 96" 720p projection screen and on a 42" 1080p lcd.

Channel changes are instant with zero noticeable lag.

Will do more playing tonight once I get home but I was blown away at how good it looked and how fast channel changes are now. WOW great job telus!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
"limitations - so far the only one I've noticed is that it shows all the tv channels in the guide, regardless of what you've subscribed to. I liked that the old one let you alternate between all, subscribed, hd, and fav's. If I could change one thing, this would be it. I hate having to flip through all those channels that I don't have... makes the mindless flipping a bit of a pain.
but - this is very minor in comparison to all the other plus'es."

I did find that you can delete channels from the master list. at the moment I cant recall what menu screen I was in but it does allow you to uncheck channels for the list.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can customize the look of the guide to your liking. Here is how. On the Telus remote press MENU. Then push the arrows keys 3 to the left or until you highlight SETTINGS. Then Go down to TELEVISION and push OK. Then go down to CUSTOMIZE YOUR GUIDE and push OK.

Now scroll through every channel. You will notice at the bottom right that there is a little screen. If you see content on that screen, leave the channel checked because you are subscribed to it. If it appears black uncheck it. Yes it will take awhile to do given the radio and music channels, but you will only need to do it once. Once you are done, scroll up and click SAVE.

So now everytime you select guide only your "picked" channels will show up. The best way again to see all the channels that Telus Offers without deleting your customized guide is to create a favourites list that has all the channels selected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, thanks guys spent some time working on that one tonight.
that's a good solution - would be ideal if there was some way to do it automatically - but like I said a minor inconvienience compared to the other improvements!

anyone else get it yet, other then cowtown and I?
other thoughts?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I will let you know Wednesday night :). I am interested to see how the picture quality compares to Starchoice. I am pumped to see all these new features and actually have a PVR that is more than a glorified VCR.

·
Banned
124 Posts
I understand the stbs are not replaced. But did you get new remotes?
You must get new remotes with the new system or some of the functionality would be lost because some buttons don't work and some are missing on the old remote. If you didn't get a new black remote then call in and they should send one to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You must get new remotes with the new system or some of the functionality would be lost because some buttons don't work and some are missing on the old remote. If you didn't get a new black remote then call in and they should send one to you.

ttvguy,
Thank you for saying this. I posted about this on the other thread you started and some yuppie from Telus got uppity on me. Saying i don't need the new remote blah blah, started telling me off nearly.

Thanks!

I was the one who leaked the guide images :). Yeah no frenchness woot!(jk i love french people)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't get a new remote when I had the service installed. The tech told me that they were short of the new ones and would maybe be mailing/shipping them out to people when they had more in stock. He seemed to think that the old remote could do everything the new one can and that the only change was the location of a few buttons. I use a Harmony remote most of the time anyways, so wasn't too worried about it.

TTVguy, what features am I not able to access with the old one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the sounds of this

I currently have Telus Satelite (switch from Bell) so I don't know all the specifics of the Telus TV setup. I would like to ask a couple of questions if I could as this new system has me intrigued.

1) Does every STB need to be connected directly to a phone line?
2) Are there alternate options if a room does not have a phone jack?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those contemplating a move from Shaw Direct, I have both installed and have been flipping back and forth. To me, The HD channels are very very close to each other, In dark scenes Telus seems to have less blocking. Overall I would say the telus picture is ever so slightly softer than Shaw Direct. The SD channels are just as clear but the color seems slightly less saturated on Telus than Shaw. If you are like me, I almost never watch standard definition if Possible. Unless you had these side by side or flipping back and forth on same tv, I don't think any Shaw Direct people would complain. I know I will be cancelling Shaw Direct in a day or so after some more comparison.

Channel changes are instant on Telus and 1.5 to 2 seconds to sync HD channels on Shaw. No audio dropouts on Telus yet like Shaw , need more time
to look at more channels.

Box bootup from cold is about the same as satellite, All my boxes are connected by HDMI, through my receivers, Yayy finally, proper HDMI signal handling through AVRs. I have a Denon, and Insignia HDMI switching receivers, no problems with either.

Speedtest with 2 HD channels is 4.5Mbs was 5.0 with 6service previous.
All Boxes off around 14.5MBs.

Boxes are Dark Gray, less than half the size of the satellite box, and put out way less heat than satellite box

If I can think of anything else I will write later after more time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few questions

Is Telus supporting some of the advanced features of Mediaroom such as scheduling recordings remotely over the internet and providing a plug-in for Media Center in Windows 7? I know AT&T is pushing the remote scheduling for U-Verse on their commercials.

Here is a link to a video from CES of some of the neat features that "can" be implemented if a carrier so chooses: http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/media_center_and_me/archive/2010/01/09/media-room-2-0-windows-7-media-center-integration-demo-video.aspx

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
"I currently have Telus Satelite (switch from Bell) so I don't know all the specifics of the Telus TV setup. I would like to ask a couple of questions if I could as this new system has me intrigued.

1) Does every STB need to be connected directly to a phone line?
2) Are there alternate options if a room does not have a phone jack?

Thanks."

1) No phone line is required period! just Coax or cat5. I have both and they just used coax to all the boxes.
2) see #1 :)

1 - 20 of 253 Posts