Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Star Choice 530 Firmware - HDCP, CGMS-A, Overscan, Etc.

Tags
firmware hdcp
201K views 586 replies 166 participants last post by  ElenaH 
#1 ·
Edit by 57 regarding the HDCP issue (usually encountered when going "through" an AVR). Please read the following post which summarizes the problem, the possible workarounds and the things to check:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=794311#post794311

Here's one other possible workaround which requires everything to remain "on", from a post in this thread:

The solution:
After the installation of fw 06, re-boot the 505/530, then turn it off and un-plug the power cable for 20 mins. Plug in the DVI/HDMI cable between the AVR and the 505/530 and turn everything back on. Perfect connection.

Hope this works for everybody else. I have yet to turn anything off - in case it goes back to a black repeater screen!
Roger
Some posts also seem to indicate that there is less overscan than before, causing people who have TVs with 0% overscan to see artifacts that should not be there - thin black bars, VBI information, Colour, etc.

Looks like new firmwares for all of Star Choice recievers to start aug 28th.

We are excited to announce that in late August, we will begin downloading updated firmware to all DSR207, DSR317, DSR505 and DVR530 HD receivers. This new receiver download is set to lay the foundation for a major firmware update scheduled for early 2009*. Designed to improve receiver stability, this download will also enhance copyright protection and user initiated downloads!
This enhanced copy protection ensures that our receivers are in compliance with HDCP and CGMS-A broadcast standards and will be supported on all current model Star Choice receivers.
*NOTE: The firmware update which includes exciting new IPG enhancements is scheduled for release in early 2009.

All receivers will now receive firmware codes as a forced download on the first night of availability.

The current versions will be:

F2 - DSR 505’s and DVR 530’s (this download will occur first)
F3 - DSR 207’s and DSR 317’s (this download will follow shortly after)

User Initiated Firmware Updates
• New firmware updates can be initiated directly from the receiver by customers or installers.
• Direct customers to the hidden menu at Options (6-4-9-7-7-2) and walk the customer through each part of the firmware update process, thus eliminating repeat calls for code download related issues.
Zero Day Opportunity Software Updates
• Whenever a new firmware update is available, receivers will receive it as a forced download the first night it is available.
• Firmware updates will still be scheduled in staggered groups of receivers over the course of a few weeks.

Our new firmware will ensure compatibility with two industry standard copy protection enhancements: HDCP, and CGMS-A

• HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection)
• Protects the digital data stream transmitted by HDMI to DVI cables from being copied in a digital data format
• Older flat panel TVs and monitors that were purchased prior to the HDCP standard being finalized may be non HDCP compliant. In this case, if TV is connected using an HDMI to DVI cable it may no longer display video and ‘HDCP’ will appear on the front panel of the DSR5xx receiver.
• Ask your customer to refer to their television user manual or the television manufacturer website to see if their television is HDCP compliant.
• If their television is not listed as HDCP compatible, they can view all the best in HD programming using a component video cable.

• CGMS-A (Copy Generation Management System – Analog)
• Protects analog TV signals transmitted by component, RCA or coaxial cables from being copied to third-party video recorders (such as DVD Recorder, VCR’s, and Computer Media Centers).
• CGMS-A flags vary depending on the content.
• Some programs may allow you to record a program to their VCR or DVD recorder only once,
• Other programs may completely restrict you from recording the program at all.
• Most regular broadcast programs will continue to have no copy restrictions when using the DSR receiver’s analog outputs.

 CGMS-A flagging is determined completely by the production studios and is not controlled by Star Choice.

HDCP and CGMS-A do NOT have an effect on the functionality or recording abilities of the Star Choice DVR530 receiver.

1. Some customers may see a black screen with “HDCP” displayed on the front panel as their television sets are not compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), or, not properly configured to receive a DVI or HDMI input. See “Troubleshooting Tips” below for more information.

2. Some customers may see a black screen when trying to record a flagged HDCP or a flagged CGMS-A material on a non-compliant third-party recording device such as a DVD, VCR or PC-based Media Centre Recorder, dependant on the recording rules established in the programming

See less See more
#6 ·
*Note The firmware update which includes exciting new IPG enhancements is scheduled for release in early 2009. Is this the same exciting new enhancements that were suppose to arrive in Q2/08,then again in Q3/08,and then once again we were being told Q4/08.Stop the excitement train I can't take it anymore.:D

#7 ·
Exciting new upgrade in...
November...
oops we mean December....
oops we better just go for general "early 2009"

and hope no one remembers we promised this exciting new upgrade early 2008 this time last year.

It better be one spectacular dl.
Seriously, it had better intuitively know what I watch and record it all automatically...with a lightning fast search function and record by series with episode titles and info...

Otherwise I'm going to feel like a fool waiting this long for say, the ability to pay my bill thru my DVR or peruse interactive weather.

Anyone else aggravated?
What are the best guesses as what "early" means?
Say sometime between January and May?

But hey, copyright protection upgrades -- Woo! Can't wait.

#8 ·
CGMS-A (Copy Generation Management System – Analog)
For those interested in CGMS-A and its effects, please see the following thread. Affects copying of some programmes to some VCRs and most DVD Recorders. Please do not discuss here, use the other thread if the information you need is not already there...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

#9 ·
All of the previosuly response I got said something like...we hope/we plan/the update is scheduled for....The latest I have, dated Aug 21, says that the extended guide and iTV will be launched in January.

As for your other question, everytime I get angry about the delays, I just go to the Bell TV forum and then I realize, it could be much worse. :)

#11 ·
Spring of 1997 was it?
I joined in 98. I still remember the old prices. Gold Choice $39.99, it included all 4 of the bundles.

User initiated updates does sound like it will be useful though. I guess that means we don't have to wait until we have the target version?

#12 ·
TJ77 - You make a good point.
I complain, yet I won't switch because I know the alternatives are worse.

I want the best of both worlds -- Roger's great PVR functions but *C flexibility and service!

I love tv and watch a lot of it -- every fall I'm reduced to creating a flow chart to schedule all my recordings across various time shifting channels and repeat broadcasting. It requires a fair bit of work searching out accurate listings online or manually thru my guide to figure it all out. Sigh.

Perhaps I could send *C the colour coded flow chart and they'd take pity and put a rush on the PVR functions out of pity?

#14 ·
"• HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection)
• Protects the digital data stream transmitted by HDMI to DVI cables from being copied in a digital data format"

What happens when the original signal is in DVI like on any SC receiver ? There is no HDMI output on SC receivers...

#16 ·
You don't own the copyrights on the content, the creators do; you are only temporarily licensing them, under terms expressed by them. With the release of the upcoming firmware, copyright holders can electronically express/enforce their wishes on their content.

AFAIK, DVI can have HDCP.

#25 ·
You don't own the copyrights on the content, the creators do; you are only temporarily licensing them, under terms expressed by them. With the release of the upcoming firmware, copyright holders can electronically express/enforce their wishes on their content.

AFAIK, DVI can have HDCP.
if so then i will be moving on FTA with a C band dish or get a video stabilizer
:mad:

#26 ·
HDCP is for monitors, not recording. HDCP was on some DVI-equipped TVs and was not on some others. If the monitor/HDTV doesn't have HDCP, you cannot view the programming that way and will simply have to use component video connections - no biggie.

I believe almost all HDMI ports have HDCP, but I heard of one or two rare ones that didn't.

Please don't confuse HDCP which only applies to monitors and CGMS-A, which was discussed earlier in this thread - post 8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.