Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had an entry level system, what would be the most important first step up?
It would be either energy 5.1 take classics or a pioneer receiver likely the second least expensive, which would be a big step from my 6 year old rca receivers and rca speakers
(I already have a powered sony 8" sub with a sub that came with the system)

any thought welcomed!

thanks

randy

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
It depends. :)

If your current receiver is flexible enough*, I'd keep it and get new speakers. (*Example: If it has multi-channel analogue inputs so that you can connect to it a BD player that internally decodes all audio formats and outputs them via its multi-channel analogue outputs.)

If you want a receiver with newer/better functionality, and if your current speakers are decent and can be re-used (i.e., they do not have proprietary connections), get a new receiver and re-use the speakers.

If you do go with the new receiver and the current speakers, when the time comes consider upgrading your speakers as follows:
1. Mains (L+R) and center
2. Subwoofer
3. Surrounds

(#1 and #2 can be reversed if the mains + center are decent and you feel that more/better bass is the priority.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with eljay. In your situation I'd start from the avr out. Read through some of the avr forums and make a wishlist of features you think are important to you (upscaling, HD audio codecs, 5.1 vs 7.1 etc...) then check the flyers for a good brand receiver that meets your needs! happy hunting!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey Randy,

You could also do both, and considering "RCA" is the brand on the speakers and the receiver, I think almost a necessity.

Where coin can be saved is by going used, on the AVR, speakers, or both. Recently saw a good H/K receiver new for $250. Seen good deals on older surround packages for $250 or less on Kijiji!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Scooter... where's the love for RCA? I recall my RCA pro-logic receiver and most honorable Bose speakers getting me into this mess in the first place....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If the current receiver handles the ohm requirements of the new speakers, the inputs are sufficient for your equipment, and it puts out enough power for the new speakers, go with the speakers. Better speakers will provide a great improvement in sound quality. A new receiver will be much more incremental.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had i pretty good kenwood surround system till the receivers remote would'nt work anymore.So I bought a new Yamaha for 1500$ and wow what a difference.Still using the 5 kenwood speakers and a Paradigm 12" powered sub, and that yamaha rocks:)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Solid state amplifiers are more or less a "solved problem" where we haven't seen significant advancement in the quality of their amplification in many years. If you look at the amount of total harmonic distortion that is introduced by a low-end amplifier, it looks like a rounding error next to the amount of THD that you get from a high-end speaker.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think I notice a big difference in my yamaha because it puts a lot more wattage out than my kenwood did.Seems to make the sound much more clearer and clearer than before.I meant clearer and cleaner.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm of the school of thought (or ears) that says start from the speaker then make your move back to the source then do it again and so on.

Speakers <-- amp <-- AVR/prepro <-- source.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
as mentioned by notables here, and others who have said it prior to ... in other threads..

revamp your speakers for most significant audio change and/or improvement. although i agree a case can be made otherwise, i'm afraid quacking around changing AVR's at these price levels ... very little with come out of it from a sonic's point of view. you may be left with a lateral move ..or downgrade, sonically. (of course, am speaking generally within reasonable parameter) .. technology is another matter, but there are additional options (work-around).

regarding sources .. personally, i think they can make a significant difference. my Oppo BDP93 pulls every crumb of audio detail from my DVD/BR disks...and upscales magnificently (in comparison to a very good Yamaha BDP with Panasonic DNA i used before hand). The Rega Apollo is a very nice sounding CDP. Consideration of source upgrades are worthy also, and probably money better spent, after speakers. ; )

Take it from us ... those who have already made the mistakes .. ; ) .. my goal ? this hobby ..(and life for that matter) .. minimize miscues, you'll never bat a .1000

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
yeah ..i gotta slow down. so much electronics has been through my home past couple years. trying stuff, bringing it back, auditions, buying-selling, trading.

the neighbors must think i'm some kinda HT/stereo nut .. :)

coming and going with electronics, stands, cables, speakers... buying used helped tremendously.

i think i'm ok now though, seems to have passed :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would upgrade the speakers first.
Good speakers stay "good" for a long time. Not much technology advancement happens in speaker technology compared to receivers.
Receivers, on the other hand, get better every year (at the same price point), and get more features, and previous year's models go on sale all the time.
Good speakers will last you a long time, even as you upgrade receivers every few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts