Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Based on my experience, the biggest limitation of the Avant X (if you ignore the very high purchase price) is the minimum input signal of -20dBmV for each channel on every input. This is an unusually high cutoff when compared to most TV tuners and/or pre-amplifiers.

The published reception range for the Avant X is -20dBmV to 40dBmV, and the unit will not process signals outside of this range. The Televes pre-amplifiers (560393 or older "Easy F" models) don't have this limitation.

How does the SmartKom handle weak/strong signals outside the -20dBmV to 40dBmV range?

·
Registered
161 Posts
With that out of the way, I was ready to do some testing first I used a Holland splitter in reverse. From the splitter I used a Kitz Technologies KT-200 to about 50 feet of RG-6 Quad shield. :unsure:
I would be very interested to see the results of this same test using a Televes 560393 replacing the KT-200, to compare with the results from the SmartKom.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just got word the Prototype Americas Version of SmartKom will be ready for testing soon! It handles VHF Low, which the Euro version does not.
The images that you've posted here show a significant commitment to develop a high grade consumer product, and your early tests indicate that this design could help resolve reception problems for a lot of users. Kudos to Televes!

It would be great to see some official specifications. We haven't seen jruano here since last summer, and I'm hoping that he'll show up at some point as his input on other Televes products has been useful.

In additon to my question comparing the Avant X to the SmartKom...
How does the SmartKom handle weak/strong signals outside the -20dBmV to 40dBmV range?
...it would be great to see the min/max operating temperature range for the mast mounted unit.

The Televes 560383 and 560483 pre-amplifiers have a published specification of -10°C to 50°C (12°F to 120°F), which may not be suitable for outdoor winter use in some areas of Canada and northern USA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts