Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my old dvd player finally gave up.

I got a new Samsung smart BD player.

Interestingly enough, it detects my mythtv backend! I can browse and view recordings!

Apparently it works as a DLNA client and so I will try setting up serviio later.

Anyone else have a BD player like this? This model I got is really new, it's not even on Samsung's website yet.

By the way, streaming 1080i and 5.1 audio with wifi from your media backend is *not* recommended. Lol. :)

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I have the BD-5100. For some reason it seems a bit flaky on wanting to view content from my laptop, but maybe I'll give Servio a shot to see if it helps (it seems to not want to see all my media).

I will say though that the Youtube player is almost useless. After typing each letter, there is a significant delay while it guesses what you are looking for. It's a pain, since you can't keep typing while it does this (the whole interface freezes).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Navigation around my mythtv recordings was fine with no delay. I have wifi so didn't bother setting up youtube in the smart hub yet.

I have the BD-EM57.

Serviio can be set to transcode on-the-fly... samsung's media player doesn't support flac, as an example.

·
Registered
373 Posts
By the way, streaming 1080i and 5.1 audio with wifi from your media backend is *not* recommended.
You could if your routers wireless is capable of speeds above 100mps. I'm guessing yours is 54?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the router itself is an 802.11n router. Wireless has never been reliable for me. I hard wire everything generally... got tired of losing wifi when neighbours turn on their microwave.

I'll check later to see if it's actually running at 802.11n...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts